Word play in K-dramas

@choitrio

Thanks I’ll be letting you know as soon as they finish subbing the drama this afternoon (around 5pm) it was 36% before, and I just went to see now, and it says 96%. But I’ll wait until it gets to 100%. I hope I can catch them since is a fun way to learn slang terms. That’s so nice of you!

1 Like

While I was translating the episode I remembered that you are interested in learning some of these terms. You will encounter these two in almost every modern drama you watch. I don’t want to give anything away but pay close attention to the fight scene.

1 Like

@choitrio

At minute 31:24 he says: 쪽팔려 (jjok-pahl-ryeo) They added as sub: I’m so embarrassed.

But at minute 31:22 she says: tto-ra-ee (two times) but the sentence says Where was I? (she was counting numbers) That’s what sounded close to ttoraee…to me. But where was I? (sub added there) sounds like the correct word in that sentence.

1 Like

I should have given you the time indicators. 또라이 (tto-ra-ee) appears at 23:36. He says 저 또라이 진짜 (That nutcase, really!). At 31:19, he says 다만 쪽팔릴 뿐이지 (It’s just… embarrassing).

1 Like

I’m curious now, when the girl says something that sounds like (tto-ra-ee), that’s not the same word? I did hear him say tto-ra-ee in minute 23:36.

1 Like

I went back to check on it. At 31:29, she actually says 뭐더라 (muh-duh-ra) which literally means “what was it?” or in this context “where was I?”. I think you probably heard the “duh-ra” which sounds similar to “tto-ra-ee”

2 Likes

Wow that’s amazing. thank you so much. Korean is a very complicated language to learn and it breaks my heart bc i thought i could learn it…someday.

1 Like

Oh, don’t get discouraged! Korean is a very complicated language. There are many who will boast that they learned how to read Korean in less than a day. It is true that Korean alphabet is easy to learn but to really understand what you are reading and be considered fluent will take many years. Meanwhile, you can always ask the members of this community, myself included, any specific questions you may have. I love that you are curious and that you want to learn.

5 Likes

Latest slang terms from Love Revolution:
• 솔까 (sol-kka) = 직히 놓고 말해서 = “to put it bluntly” - This version is a shortened version of the already shortened 솔까말 (sol-kka-mal).
• 아까비 (akkabi), or even just 까비 (kkabi) = “(It was) so close!”

3 Likes

Thanks Em! Two new ones I haven’t heard of before. Now with 아까비, is it related to 아깝다 (akkapda) which can sometimes mean “So close!” or “What a waste!”?

When you have some time, check out my new Discussion topic “The English language lacks…” We have some interesting discussion going on there.

4 Likes

A few new ones from Zombie Detective, Episode 7:

생파 (saeng pa) = 생일 파티 = birthday party
빠세 (bba sae) = an exclamation used in a similar way as "화이팅! (hwaiting!, or fighting!). It’s from
DJ Hanmin’s Show Me Your BBA SAE

1 Like

Yes, it is.

2 Likes

I got one for you guys but I don’t know how to write it in Korean so help me out
This is a modern saying in Korea now; GYEOKSEJIGAM is the word.

1 Like

Good one! It’s 격세지감 (gyeok-se-ji-gam) which refers to how the world has changed a lot in a short period. So, I would probably translate it as “How the world has changed!” Of course, I would have to consider the context first.

4 Likes

Another new one from Zombie, Episode 7:

찐이야! (Jjin-ee-ya) = the real deal, the best. It is from Mr. Trot, Young Tak’s song by the same name. Kinda catchy actually.

I am sure you are familiar with 짱이야! (Jjang-ee-ya) which means “the best”.

2 Likes

Yes! but 격세지감 means all that? or just saying; (gyeok-se-ji-gam) means: How the world has changed!

If you see Episode 12 [Record of Youth] you’ll see why they said that and where I got that from, but if I write anything here to explain it, I would be a BIG mouth spoiler, and I don’t want to do that.

1 Like

I plan on catching up on Record of Youth tonight so I will pay close attention to it. And, yes, those four characters pretty much express all that because they originate from Chinese characters “隔世之感” which I am sure our Chinese translators in the community can explain further.

3 Likes

google translate says that’s a somali word ROFL

(Jjang-ee-ya)

1 Like

Lol. Another reason not to use Google Translate for slangy terms.

3 Likes

You are not kidding; lately, that google translate is messing up in a lot of ways, Big time. I have seen the most ridiculous translations in Spanish, like they translated soccer and football in Spanish with the same word (translation) when they have 2 totally different names. I reported that a while back, and I have to check and see if it was fixed.

1 Like