Word play in K-dramas

Does 꿈동산 means dreamland? That’s the name of kindergarten in a drama. At first I thought it had to be Ggoomdong-mountain, because I could only find 꿈 & 동산 seperately.

꿈 (ggoom) = dream and 동산 (dongsan) = a small scale hill (mound) or mountain, and 동산 can sometimes refer to a garden as in “에덴 동산 (Garden of Eden)” so for a name of a kindergarten I would agree “Dreamland” is an appropriate translation.

2 Likes

Thank you for explaining.

2 Likes

choitrio is going to be our korean teacher from now on lol. I take notes of everything they ask her or I ask her, and she very sweet and kind give us such great explanations. Thank you on my end too.

3 Likes

same! I’ve bookmarked so many of her posts!

2 Likes

@angelight313_168 and @vivi_1485, I am subbing the new historical fusion drama Mr. Queen which is turning out to be hilarious and it has a lot of new slangs.

스데메 (seu-de-mae) is an acronym for “studio”, “dress”, and “makeup” for a wedding.

@angelight313_168, our CJH from Zombie Detective makes a special appearance and he is amazing!

2 Likes

oh wow, I’ve been reading about that drama a lot, it has the most unusual plot! Do tell us how it is…It’s always fun to watch a show whose volunteers I know and love!

1 Like

Only two episodes are out but I can tell already that it’s going to be a huge success. I am doing so much research on Joseon era terminology and history I can probably write a paper on it by the end of the show, lol. For subbers, this kind of historical fusion comedy presents a big challenge but it is also very satisfying when the viewers respond in such a positive way.

3 Likes

I am sure most of you have heard of 짜파구리 (Jjapaguri) = 짜파게티 (Jjapagetti) + 너구리 (Neoguri ramen) because of the movie Parasite but have you heard of 열불라면 (Yeul-bul-ramen)? You will hear it in Episode 3 of Mr. Queen.

열불라면 = 열라면 (Yeul ramen) + 불닭라면 (Buldak ramen), two of the spiciest Korean ramens

2 Likes

I wanted to kill my curiosity and unfortunately, I chose to see the Chinese version, and I’m really hoping is nothing like it; in many, many parts. So far in this 2 episodes ‘‘gladly,’’ I see nothing close from the Chinese version. I mean the Chinese version has astounding scenery, beautiful actors/actress playing their role perfectly well…but it left me with a bitter sensation in the end. I hope Korean version make more sense in the end.

Thank you so much for today’s lesson!
짜파게티

Zapaghetti I’m guessing the made a korean word for Spaghetti except in English (GT) they spelled it with a Z which is wrong. Can it be the two jj in Korean are really a z in English?

1 Like

I haven’t watched the Chinese version but I heard that the Korean version is quite a bit different. I am really enjoying this drama for all the humor. So witty! There is so much wordplay going on that it’s hard for non-Korean speakers to fully appreciate how funny it really is. I am not going to translate the entire episodes like I used to do for ZD since we supposedly have 13 Kor-Eng subbers and 2 TEs but I will definitely be watching the drama so if you have a question you can ask me about it in this thread.

짜파게티 is an instant ramen version of Jjajangmyeon.

1 Like

ok waiit a second…there are lots of types of ramen??? I didn’t know that! I thought ramen was just one kind :sweat_smile: oh dear, I have a loooongway to go lol :joy: how many types are there?

You got me curious so I looked it up and apparently as of January 2020, there were over 400 different kinds of ramen sold in Korea. Nongshim Shin Ramen is currently the most popular ramen in South Korea.

1 Like

wow! which is your personal favourite?

I had Jjapagetti not too long ago. It’s a good Jjajangmyeon substitute. When I am in the mood for something spicy, I go for Ottogi Jin Ramen Spicy. Nongshim Shin Ramen Black used to be my favorite for a long time though.

1 Like

A new word (at least for me) from How To Be Thirty, Episode 1.

고빠 (Goppa) = 고마운 오빠, an oppa you feel thankful towards, someone who buys you meals and gives you money.

3 Likes

Here is a great site for popular Korean slangs.

2 Likes

Here are a couple of new ones from “Kingdom: Legendary War”:

포스 (po-seu) = charisma, presence
갓벽 (got-byeok) = God + 완벽 (wohn-byeok, meaning “perfect”), Godly perfect

2 Likes

갓벽 is so creative! :joy::joy:

1 Like

Was watching EXO’s newest reality show and they introduced this snack saying it’s really poplar nowadays:
“어묵떡햄” - fish cake + rice cake + ham!

2 Likes