Word play in K-dramas

I just got a glimpse of the joy, or pain of being a Viki translator. Thanks @mirjam_465! :wink::+1:t5:

3 Likes

Looks yummy :yum:

2 Likes

I’ve been helping out here and there for “Devil Judge” where the popular Korean term 개사이다 appears frequently. It is a tough one to translate because 사이다 (sa-ee-da) means “soda” and 개 (gae) in this context simply indicates the extreme nature, sort of like “damn”. When you put it together, it becomes “damn soda” but what does it really mean? 사이다 refers to the refreshing feeling you get when you have a carbonated drink. However, Koreans like using this word to refer to the tingling sensation you get when you see something that makes you want to yell “Yes, that was awesome!!!” and works as a stress reliever, hence the term “사이다 action”.

So, I suggested “Ultimate Frustration Relief” as the translation for 개사이다.

2 Likes

Wow, this is so cool! I’m taking notes!^^

1 Like

As you know 개 means “dog” but it has become a popular prefix for many Korean slangs. Here is another example: 개이득 (gae-ee-deuk) = 개 + 이득 (profit) = damn big profit. This was used in the Zombie Detective.

2 Likes

yeah… and they say “개좋아” for something they like a lot, right? Meaning something like “I love it so damn much” or “I’m crazy for it”

1 Like

In a drama, I came across the term 라떼 이즈 홀스 (Latte is horse).

It is slang for the saying 나때는 말이야… which means ‘In my time…’ / ‘Back in my days…’ which older people tend to say.

나 때 = I, back then (and sounds similar to 라떼/latte)
는 = is
말 = speak or horse.

That’s how ‘Back in my days’ becomes ‘latte is horse’.

6 Likes

Haha, very clever! I think we will be seeing more of these kind of wordplay. Even the drama titles play on words nowadays. For example, “One the Woman” which sounds very similar to “Wonder Woman” in Korean and Military Prosecutor “Doberman” which sounds similar to the main character’s name Do Bae-man.

4 Likes

Why was I reading it as " r " ?

radeo, to mean radio?
ㄸ is tt not dd ?

Probably because it’s a loanword from Italian, so they just wrote it the way it sounds most correct. I don’t really know the rules about when ㄹ is L and when R, but the lady pronounced it with the L sound.

3 Likes

For those of you who are BtoB fans, the reason why Eunkwang is known as “Silver Light” is because his name 은 (Eun) means “silver” and 광 (kwang) means “glow” or “light”.

4 Likes

Well, haha. I was really amazed when I first got to know that.

2 Likes

In case you didn’t already know this, BtoB stands for Born to Beat, and their fans are called “Melody” because melody goes well with (musical) beat. I didn’t know anything about k-pop other than BTS but I learned so much while researching to TE “Kingdom: Legendary War”.

3 Likes

I’m a Melody and I love the fandom name. It’s so pretty and fitting.
With many k-pop groups nowadays, it must be so difficult to choose a good name for the fans.
I also like Eunkwang’s enthousiasm about his name ‘Silver Light’.

2 Likes

BtoB is the only k-pop band that I adore. I have always watched K-Dramas but never was interested in K-Pop until I found BtoB’s Shinbaram. I went on to discover so much more about them. Their fan colour “Slow Blue” also happens to be my favourite colour. Another thing about them to like is that they don’t sexualize their bandmates (like slapping butts or random kisses in concerts) to gain extra fans.
Eagerly waiting for their next album :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

When I was asked to TE “Kingdom: Legendary War”, I wasn’t too enthused at first but by the time the show concluded, my interest and respect for the artists had grown greatly.

I can now honestly say that I am a BtoB fan and I am glad that they don’t provide “fan service” by sexualizing their bandmates.

4 Likes

The Korean title for this show is 별똥별 (byeol-ttong-byeol) which means “shooting star”. When taken separately, 별 means “star” and 똥 means “poop”, “crap” or “shit”. So the title, “Sh**ting Stars”, is again playing with the word 똥.

4 Likes

Hahahaha! :rofl: :stars: poop! :joy: :poop: :rofl:

I was wondering about this!! I saw the Soompi article about it, and the poster had a big tagline that read:
Made me get excited to watch the drama lol

1 Like

choitrio
The Korean title for this show is 별똥별 (byeol-ttong-byeol) which means “shooting star”. When taken separately, 별 means “star” and 똥 means “poop”, “crap” or “shit”. So the title, “Sh**ting Stars”, is again playing with the word 똥.

This is so interesting to know about word play in K-dramas, and I’m so grateful you share all this details with us. I really wished there were more people like you that give so much useful information. and in the process we can learn about the Korean language. Thank you so much!

PS. I learned now not to take chances using words without knowing the real context in FULL detail. This is going in my notes.

1 Like