Word play in K-dramas

You are very welcome. Unfortunately, not many Kor-Eng subbers visit the Community Discussions, probably because they are busy creating or editing subtitles for the benefit of our viewers. I just happen to really enjoy interacting with community members and if I can provide some useful information then it’s an added bonus.:blush:

6 Likes

@choitrio

Can’t you invite them to this forum with a messaged link? If we had here more ppl. like you/them giving us precious input on your/their knowledge of the Korean language, we could finally learn a bit more of what I consider the most difficult language to learn.

I think this will also give them a place to relax for a bit since I know for experience how draining editing in any given language can be. They deserve to be praised too, and viewers rarely do that in the reviews/comment section. I feel in here it’s easier to express those things like compliments and such.

Although I have criticized some subtitles subber’s wrote in dramas, I only do it to get their attention, and hopefully PUSH them to improve them bc we all have room for improvement if we only try. I have also never accused anyone directly or without the evidence (image), so they don’t feel I’m just doing it to be ‘‘mean?’’ I would rather write the ‘‘B’’ word bc I know that’s how some ppl. see me here. But they only see me that way bc is easier to live in denial than accepting the truth.

That is exactly what I had hoped for when I first created this thread, a place to learn from each other, exchange information, and get to know each other better. Unfortunately, there is not much interaction among Kor-Eng subbers even within the subtitle teams and the few that I have reached out and tried to keep in touch are no longer active at Viki.

5 Likes

I finished watching “My Strange Hero” just because I like Yoo Seung Ho, lol. Similar to “Military Prosecutor Doberman”, the names of the ML and FL are used for wordplay in the show.

The ML for “My Strange Hero” is Kang Bok Su and the FL is Son Soo Jeong. In couple of scenes, the ML quotes famous sayings from S Crystal and K Revenge. Well, “crystal” in Korean is “soojeong” and “revenge” in Korean is “boksu”. Pretty clever.:wink:

3 Likes

I am looking forward to the show as well. There is one more thing about the poster. Although 별 means “star”, 별별 does not mean “starry” as Google translate will make you think. 별별 actually means “all kinds”. Another wordplay, I guess.

2 Likes

Lol… This reminds me of Ryan Gold from Her Private Life… the hangul was 라이언, same as “Lion” :laughing:

A variety show episode name: “Mystery Mister Lee” “미스터리미스터리”

1 Like

In “Kiss Goblin”, the ML’s name is Ban Sook. It is rather fitting for a goblin who is learning to become human since 반숙 (bansook) literally means “half-cooked”.

4 Likes

:joy::joy::joy: This is so funny! I like word play in kdramas!

1 Like

Koreans seem to be constantly (re)inventing words. You may have already seen or heard some of these:

빵셔틀 (ppang shuttle) = 빵 + shuttle = errand person to get bread or bakery items
남사친 (nam-sa-chin) = 남자 사람 친구 = male friend
여사친 (yeo-sa-chin) = 여자 사람 친구 = female friend
셀카 (sel-ka) = self camera = selfie
사바사 (sa-ba-sa) = 사람 by 사람 = person by person, referring how situation differs from person to person
단짠 (dan-jjan) = 달고 짠 맛 = sweet and salty taste, can be used for food or situation

3 Likes

Can anyone guess what 샵쥐 (♯G) means? By the way, the symbol is not the number or hash sign, but rather a musical sign, sharp. This is another unusual reinvention of a Korean term, kind of like “latte is horse”.

2 Likes

Sharp G? No clue what that would mean, though.

1 Like

Try saying 시아버지 (shi-a-beo-ji) fast.:wink: I had to think for a while too.

3 Likes

One more to add: 뇌피셜 (noe-pi-shyeol) = 뇌 (brain) + official = unverified personal opinion or belief

3 Likes

Omg that’s ingenious. How do people think of these things?

1 Like

It’s getting harder and harder to understand the everyday Korean conversation, lol.

4 Likes

I am used to seeing words that are combination of English and Korean, or Chinese and Korean but here is one that combines English, Chinese and slang:

킹왕짱 (king-wang-jjang) = 킹 (king) + 왕 (王 Chinese for “king”) + 짱 (Korean slang for “the best”, “the top”)

I am sure the meaning is pretty obvious.:wink:

4 Likes

Thank you so much for the added words! I’m writing my notes now. Taking a break from packing. Why you feel is getting harder to understand Korean everyday conversation? Is it the mix of English/Chinese words in the korean language? I feel it might make it easier for me to understand now like ‘‘handphone?’’ I clearly hear the actors and immediately know is the cell phone they are talking about. It gives me hope that if i can’t write it, at least, I can understand some of what they are talking about.

PS> I didn’t get the Sharp G. Can you explain it better? Thanks. Btw, is it shortcut for grandpa?

1 Like

It is true that if foreign words are used with correct pronunciation and in their original form, it would make Korean conversations easier to understand. However, as you can see, too often, Koreans modify or reinvent the words so that sometimes they are hard to recognize. For example, Koreans love their “Iced Americano” coffee which is often referred to as 아아 (Ah-Ah), shortened from 아이스 아메리카노. I doubt an English speaker would readily recognize “Ah-Ah” as “Iced Americano” unless s/he is a K-drama enthusiast.

As to “sharp G”, if you say 시아버지 (shi-a-beo-ji) fast then it sounds similar to “샵쥐” or “sharp G” because Korean letters 시+아+ㅂ would produce 삽 which sounds similar to 샵 (sharp) and Korean pronunciation of the letter G sounds similar to 쥐, therefore 샵 + G becomes ♯G. By the way, 시아버지 is “father-in-law”.

2 Likes

OMG this is so funny ah-ah/ Iced americano never heard of it though. I stopped watching young kids drama bc they don’t change the story line, and I bet those are the popular ones with ordering Ah-Ah.

The Goblin one made me laugh so much (half-cooked).

I was not even a a bit close with father-in-law.

I forgot to mention that when I did Goggle translate for the word @oriya mentioned in the other thread= wake (a ‘‘woman’’ like face is after the word wake, and I see you have what looks like a pound sign # before the G). I’m guessing that’s how you can see the difference in the meaning of the word.

Thank you so much for taking your time to share so much with us since this is something no one has ever done before. You are truly a very kind and special person.

1 Like

Glad to help. By the way, the symbol in front of G is not a pound sign. It is a musical sharp sign. That’s why ♯G = sharp G = 샵쥐 = 시아버지.

2 Likes