Words and phrases learned from watching movies and dramas

Ce dragut sa dau peste cineva din Romania pe aici :)) :*

1 Like

It’s funny how many ppl know jugule?! (Wanna die?).

1 Like

The list would be too long but to name a few:
Korean:
Aigoo (multi functional)
Palli Palli (Hurry, Hurry)
Ne (multi functional)
Yobeseyo (Hello when picking up a phone or something)
Ottoke?! (What to do? etc)
Aja Aja Hwaiting (Do your best/ good luck etc.)

Japanese
Nande (yo)? (What s it / what do you want, why etc…)
Baka (stupid)
Wakararimasen (I don’t understand/I Don’t get it etc.)
Wakarimasu (I get it, I understand etc.)
Mada Mada Dane (a phrase along the lines to bad and it can’t be helped.)
Soka (I get it etc)
Huresena! (shut up)
Ganbatte ne (do your best)
Moshi Moshi (hello when picking up the phoe and to ask if someone is there)
And of course the stuff like san, kun, sama, senpai, okasan, otosan, ojisan, oneesan. oniisan.

2 Likes

jugule? :smile: I know also this expression and … chin-cha, omo, toejora :smile:

p.s sunt multi romani pe aici, vezi topicul “verzi uscate”

In many European cultures honorific are used (Mr, Mrs, Miss.)  People are addressed by their honorific title and their surname. It’s true we don’t have so many honorifics like in Korean language. I’m 33. If I were in Korea, my 21 years old neighbor would call me noona :smile: Here he calls me Mrs Lapusan :slight_smile:

It’s interesting that Koreans rarely call people by their surname(family name).

@denisa_lapusan: He would say Denisa-ssi :slight_smile: Some guys are really cute when they continue to use honorifics although you gave them permission to call you by your name. Also girls. I’m watching Roommate. There is a girl, a fighter ( or whatever) who couldn’t address to a 40+ years old famous Korean singer using his name. It was funny to watched her embarrassment.

What I’ve learned from Korean:
-addressing a woman/man :  … -ssi      
addressing a woman/man informal: noona,unnie,hyung, oppa, dongseng
- greetings:annyeonghaseyo , annyeonghasimnikka ( formal) - hello, how are you?
-cheoeum boepgessseumnida – I’m glad to meet you.
-najung e bwae yo! – see you later.       
-geonganghaseyo – take care.

and of course " jugulae" :smile: in Boys over flowers, Jan-di used often this word.

From Thai dramas I remember “Khan”. ( honorific title), Sawasdee ( Hello, Bye) , Phi chai (older brother), Phi sao (older sister), nong sao (younger sister), nong chai (younger brother)

2 Likes

He might call you you Ajumma, not noona. Calling someone older than you by his/her name is very rude in Korea.

3 Likes

aha … so, a married woman or a woman over 30 years old is called “ajumma”.

I want to ask you something :smile: : is it true that Koreans never call by their names even if they are married, so they are really close to each other ?

Haha this discussion is so funny! I recognise myself and my experiences in all these posts! I notice that we mostly remember expressions that the characters utter when they are either angry or shocked etc. I wonder if it’s because they say them more passionately and they stick to our brains?
Like chugullae? (do you want to die?) Or Micchasseo? (Have you gone crazy?)

In Japanese I remember that one of the very first words I learned from anime was ‘baka’ (idiot). I also learned things like ‘urusai’ (shut up, noisy), and other senteces, usually said by men in a local accent… All of this is not very useful if you’re trying to improve a language! You can hardly go outside and ‘politely’ tell a new Japanese acquantaince to ‘shut up’! Haha
I also LOVE samurai anime and dramas so I’ve learnt a LOT of samurai language (like sessha, de gozaru etc.) but unfortunately I can’t use these expressions in everyday situations ^^;

All in all, I would definitely say that watching dramas is useful in leanring new expressions and sounding more natural, but I don’t know if it’s a good idea to base our vocabulary only on that! Haha

I learned from watching movies and dramas on Viki:

Korean:
gomaow ~ thanks, saranghaeyo ~ I love you, babo ~ Idiot
Aigoo ~ “oh my gosh” / “shit” / Arrr, namja ~ Man, napeun namja ~ bad men
yeoja ~ woman, michyeosseo ~ crazy, omma & appa ~ Mom & Dad, Oppa ~ older Brother
noona ~ older sister, ajumma ~ old woman, dongsaeng ~ brother and sister, geureom ~ well
gaja ~ Lets go., hana, dul, set ~ 1,2,3
jinjja ~ really … and many more :smiley:

and a few chinese words:
Wǎn’ān ~ Good night
ma ~ Mom
meimei ~ Sistar
Wei ~ yes
Bushi ~ No

1 Like

Oh, and possibly my favourite Korean word is Aigo! Haha

2 Likes

야, 미쳤어?!

Ya, michyeosso?! LOL

This is one of the first that I learned x°D

난 널 보고 싶어요 - Nan neol bojosipeo. I miss you.
하지마! Hajima! Don’t do it!
가지마. Kajima. Don’t go.
사랑해. Saranghae. love you
아이고 Aigoo…
Aish (LOL)
배고파 Baegopa I’m hungry
피곤해 Pigonhae I’m tired

There are lots of words and phrases I learned thanks to korean drama. Lately I noticed I use them in place of italian one x°D I guess this is the “side effect” of watching too many dramas LOL

1 Like

Originally, we were supposed to share also which dramas taught us these words/phrases in Korean.

From Faith I’ve learned “yeogie” = here (really cool scene by the fire :slight_smile: )

From Emergency Couple: “Dwaesseo [tesso]. Keu-man-eh.” = Forget it. Stop it. (they said it at least once every episode)

3 Likes

Japanese words learned from watching Bad Boys J :smile:

Damare! = Shut your mouth
Shinu ka ?= Do you wanna die?
Yamero != Stop it !
Namenna yo = Don’t mess with me!
Teo dokete yo! = take your hands off
Wakatta= I understand,ok
Kichigai = you are crazy
Honto= really?
achi itte = go away!
Hana shite yo= let go of me
Suimasen= I’m sorry.
nanchatte= just kidding

Yeah, I agree with you. The most deep impression was the word when we learned from angry expression. Even though we didn’t speak their language. We know they were cursing. lol

1 Like

Words that easily remember is basic word like :
Thank you = Gamsahamnida (formal) / Gomawo (Informal)
Sorry = Chesoenghamnida (formal) / Mianhae (Informal)
What are you doing? = Mohae (Informal)
Are you okay? = Gwenchanha
Love you = Saranghae

Those are in Korean.

I love you in other language
Airishiteru (Japanese)
Rak rak (vietnamese?)
Tia mo (Spanish?) <- I learn it from Dora the explorer.
Aku cinta kamu (Indonesian)
Wo ai ni (Chinese)

It’s amazing what you can learn from watching dramas (or listening to music or anime) :smiley:
Korean sentences/words from dramas:
Andwae (oh no)
Shireoyo (I don’t want)
Saranghaeyo (I love you)
Wae? (Why?)
Eodi (where?)
Oppa, unnie, hyung, noona
Saram (person)
yeppeo (pretty)
Aigoo, aish, jinjja (really?)
Gwenchanha? (are you okay?)
Kamsahamnida (thank you)
Annyeong (hello)
Yoboseyo (hello-telephone)
mianhae (sorry)

1 Like

I’m Korean and have made some videos with Kdrama for helping Korean learners.
I’m searching what kind of videos youguys need to learn Korean.
Please. Let me know them to plan new series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvOXciYG1WU

1 Like

junbi (준비) I think means “ready” and is the same in Japanese. In Viet it’s “chuẩn bị”

sunbae is similar to something in Chinese (sounds like “tian bei”)… in Viet is “tiền bối”… “senpai” in Japanese.

I picked up a lot of words like those while watching dramas. I’ve learned some unique words in each language too.

3 Likes