Words and phrases learned from watching movies and dramas

I can’t pick specific words. What I generally learn from dramas is vocabulary that would take me ages to learn from dictionaries. For example financial, forensics, legal or engineering vocabulary. Some great swear words, too.

Of course I’ve learned some greetings, everyday phrases etc but those I consider easy to learn from a textbook and that dramas played no important role.

2 Likes

I learned a lot of 4 character proverbs in Korean and a lot of legal terms in English!
I’ve become less phobic of the Korean court system.

Mandarin:

• tons of cognates
  • 'er!!!
  • jiayou! (from It Started with.a Kiss)
  • nue 'er -woman
  • baba - dad
    -fumo - parents
  • mo
  • dairen 대인 in Korean minister sire
  • xiaoju little owner Agassi or Young Master or Miss
    -fei (비) -1st rank consort
  • guiren (귀인) - 3rd??? rank consort?
  • pin (빈) -
1 Like

Did you guys watched Misaeng: The Incomplete? If you did, I want to ask you; I was made to understand that the “apology” given by Mr. Oh was similar with a swear word in Korean. What is the swear word exactly? FYI, for those who haven’t watched or forgot, the “apology” is filled with this word typed over and over again :-
좀많이
Please help translate that word and if possible, please tell me the swear word that is similar in sound with that word. Thank you for your help :smile:

좀만이, which is derived from 좃만이. Has to do with male private part. You shouldn’t be saying such a word.

I wouldn’t be saying that word in real life, of course. I just wanted to know so that I can understand that scene better. Anyway, thank you for helping me!

1 Like

BTW, 좀많이 means ‘quite a lot.’

2 Likes

Yeah, I know. That’s why when I read that it actually resembles a curse word in Korean, I was quite shocked. Originally, I thought Mr. Oh typed words meant, “I’m really sorry,” in a sarcastic kinda way, but seeing from everyone’s reaction in One International who read the apology letter, they seemed more embarrassed/angry than if that were the case, you know. So that’s why I searched the Internet for the meaning of the word :smile:
And finally, I got my answer thanks to you. I learnt something new today :blush::blush:

1 Like

one of my favorite word from the korean drama The Master’s Sun: kkeojyeo- Go away ^^
of course there’s others but i don’t know So Ji Sub’s voice still remains in my head when i hear this word

1 Like

Hi Dee,

I am from Rakuten team (Viki’s parent company) and we are interviewing 10 people who are Viki users and interested in learning new languages. The interview will take maximum 30 minutes.

1. Are you interested in learning Asian languages like Japanese, Korean, and Chinese among others?

2. Will you be free for a Skype interview telling us which TV dramas you like, and which languages you are learning, or wish to learn?

You will receive a Free Viki pass for a month!

Fill in your name, available time, city, and Skype id for the interview and we will get back to you.

Here is a link for the survey:
http://goo.gl/forms/skgiu0lz1pyejIL03

Spread the word :smile:

What if we already have a Viki Pass, but still want to discuss the topic?

1 Like

@kdiana - picking up Mandarin words isn’t easy, so good job! After studying it for like 8 years, I’m still not very good, but I wanted to help you a bit with a couple of Mandarin words you mis-heard a bit. When you heard “yabo” for wife, I think what they were actually saying is “lao po” - it’s a common word for “wife”. Aunt, or “auntie” as it is often translated, is “ayi” - you basically got that one right, just the spelling isn’t exact. “I like you” is “wo xi huan ni”. The “x” sound in Mandarin is like a very soft “sh”, almost like hissing. In Taiwan, it is pronounced almost the same as an “s” is pronounced in English; in northern mainland China, it is kind of halfway between “sh” and “s”. One word that I have picked up from the videos is “da rao” which means “disturb” or “bother”. I think Mandarin is a really interesting and fun language to learn, and I’m really glad that Viki has so many videos from China and Taiwan to help learn.

3 Likes

Its great to learn any kind of language, be it korean, chinese, spanish etc. butI would love the correct pronounciations of the words, I sure don’t want to come across for being a country bumpkin or something! one word can mean different things in different countries, am I right on that. I want to learn different languages, hey I do have plenty of time to do this. But I want to get it right!
the shows of different countries the music too is great. so many ways to say thank you!!

In the historical K/Dramas the queen is addressed by something that sounds like tagy-mama. I haven’t been able to find the correct Korean word. Anyone know?

You can find all forms of address within the Joseon royal court here. In Korean, in transliteration, and English translation

1 Like

TL;DR
대비마마 (daebi mama) = late king’s official wife

For those who are Sageuk enthusiasts:

I think you are talking about 대비마마 (Daebi mama). It’s a term used to address former/late king’s proper queen (not concubines). She is usually the mother of the current king, although not necessarily. Meaning, even if a concubine’s son ends up becoming the new king, only the late king’s official queen is still called Daebi. If her own son becomes the king, her title is 왕대비 (Wang daebi) but she will still be address as Daebi mama.

If her grandson becomes the king later, after her son passes away, then she is called 대왕대비 (Daewang Daebi).

3 Likes

KOREAN
Appa/aboji father
Eomma/eommmoni mother
Yobuseeyoo hello
Nee yes
Aniyong hi
Sagwa apology/apple
Kajima don’t go
Saranghe I love
Yeppeune you are pretty
Yeppeuta it’s pretty