"Yo Soy Bea" English subtitling/segmenting

I love this question! I have been wanting telenovelas to get more exposure on Viki for awhile. I started on telenovelas. I have seen many versions of Yo soy Bea, Honestly, the only way I saw Yo soy Bea was on YT a few years back. I cannot find it anymore. It is one of my favs. I have to agree, that many other countries’ programming just isn’t considered due to ‘popularity’. If there is not enough interest then it is even difficult to get Korean dramas(Viki main attraction) licensed. Even some of the obscure works of popular actors are harder to find on Viki. I applaud anyone who can do this. I think I have put in requests before but I will do so again. Good luck!

2 Likes

Hi,
Now I want to watch it!
If the CM has been inactive for a certain amount of time, you can contact the Viki Help Center and ask to become the Channel Manager. As for the “pencil” and “scissors” disappearing, that’s a new quirk on certain Fan Channels. If you or someone else has worked on that channel before, you can access it through your Viki contribution project list. We can no longer upload any videos to any Fan Channels, so your missing videos will still be missing. Hope this helps.

2 Likes

Oh… con razón yo decía ¿por qué cambió tanto y se ve tan mayor antes de morir? Y te mencioné aquí que se veía mucho más mayor. Al final, no era Betty. Yo te puedo decir que la única Telenovelas que he visto aquí es porque le pongo subtitulos en ellas. En mi vida personal, he visto solo 2 Una de Thalia Y Betty La fea. Después de ahí no he visto ninguna mas.

I will put a request also. Good idea. Let’s see if it works out.

1 Like

Que En Paz Descanse. Todavía estaba joven creo en los 50? Y hay otra que murió después de adoptar una bebé y el esposo al tiempo se suicidó.

Bueno Mirna ¿que crees si puedes hacer de CM y formamos un grupo que se dedique a las telenovelas? No muchas… pero unas poquitas y buenas para que las disfruten en inglés. Tengo curiosidad por BEA y me encanta Lucrecia y el actor es de lo mejor (la actriz no mucho honestamente) pero ella es bien agil y me gustan las Telenovelas con mujeres fuertes, decididas y luchadoras.

Por cierto se de Lucrecia porque ‘‘metí las patas’’ y puso un par de subs y me dieron un sermón jajajaja …(bueno lo merecía) ¿Qué crees?

I will put a request too. Let’s cross our fingers.

1 Like

Yo entonces soy la loca que si he visto varias buenas y muchas por mi mamá eso que al principio uno no le importa pero después uno se termina metiendo en la historia.

yo promocionaría séptima puerta en mi país fue una serie muy buena, la hija del mariachi eh nose por que en casi todas las novelas es sexo me molesta a veces eso.
Creo que la única que tengo en mente es carita de angel, amarte así, y de pronto Victoria que la trama es buena, pero buenos las dos ultimas las tengo pensando por la razon que mencione anteriormente.

1 Like

Im so happy this has gotten such a response!! Thank you so much everyone for all your support :smiley: I would really love to see more shows like this and telenovelas get subbed and gain an international audience.

Personally, I usually watch drama outside of Viki and I know of some Asian drama sites with massive libraries of content. I started watching Korean and Japanese (Actually, my first international drama was Hana Yori Dango and I love the irl couple from the show that got married a lot as well :joy:) dramas first, but I really don’t mind what country a show is from, or how long it goes for, as long as it’s interesting and I love watching international shows and learning about other cultures! And I’m sure the same goes for plenty of other people too. Not for just Yo Soy Bea, I would love to watch Spanish language dramas/Telenovelas now even if I didn’t know much about them before.

The majority of K-dramas are subbed straight away, including 160 episode family orientated dramas even if they’re a bit slower to get subbed, these long running dramas too have an international audience. Even long running Asian dramas from other countries, I’ve noticed have started to be subbed and gained an international audience such as 100+ ep dramas from the Phillipines. Even if sites such as Viki don’t have licensing rights to them, the seperate subtitle files for most K-dramas still exist can be found somewhere online. And the sites featuring K-drama subs often carry plenty of other Asian drama as well. But no such site exists anywhere on the internet for telenovelas or Spanish language dramas, Viki is pretty much the only one apart from Netflix/Hulu which might offer subs for a few telenovelas in certain reigons (But definetly not from where I’m from, Australia lol :joy:)

For Betty, the most popular telenovela of all time, to not have English subs currently accessible for the entire series seems so strange!! It’s been translated and dubbed in so many different languages over the years, and I’m sure their are still lots of people out there that would love to watch it. But it’s just gone from Viki… and lots of other telenovelas are left half subbed, dropped or have also disappeared from Viki all together!! I know that an audience is there but it just seems like they aren’t getting any attention at the moment.

I see, thank you so much for your reply!! I have sent a message to the centre but no reply yet. Actually I’m tempted to send another one because I’m not fully sure it sent properly, but I didn’t want to send too many haha.
I see… so no more videos can be uploaded to fan channels at all? That’s too bad… Because even though 60 episodes are uploaded, the actual show (even just the part that features the main couple) I know is much longer :confused: So if there’s no possibility of anything else being uploaded, the series won’t be complete anyway.

1 Like

You’re quite welcome, glad I could help a little.
I’m pretty lucky, I live in the San Francisco Bay area so Spanish novellas are really popular here. We have a gazillion Spanish channels as well as Asian ones.

1 Like

I have been struggling with this for a long time and gotten nowhere so I just gave up.

I say the same thing there are people out there that want this spanish telenovelas with english subtitles in them but when I try to take a project it gets dropped by the team and they go to do other dramas.like it happened with ‘‘Sweet Thing’’ (spanish telenovela) funny thing, the drama continues to be subbed in Spanish like it needs Spanish subs! the drama is already in Spanish lol ridiculous… no?

Still the english subs are put on hold since the 8th or 9th episode (I was an english subber in that drama) and every time I asked what’s going on I get no response from the moderator. That is, until I was in another drama and saw the moderator working in the same drama so I sent her a message and she waited very long to answer me and when she did, gave me a vague excuse about the segments.

Time and time again I’m told Spanish telenovelas are not ‘‘popular’’ but is not a matter of a drama being popular is a matter of taste from the viewers and to have variety on the dramas you watch. Some people like to see different dramas from different countries. In my opinion spanish telenovelas can give you that option in variety they are not that bad.

I honestly wish I could see this project through but I know obstacles after obstacle will be there and this drama will end up getting no where. If we don’t have the support of the spanish teams what else can we expect?

I am not a fan of Spanish telenovelas at all I never watched them except 2 when I was a teenager but if I see request for english subs I do want to get involved. Here at viki site is good to have variety in the dramas at least 1 or 2 only completed (like Bea and Lucrecia really good one for what I saw). We have many uploaded here but I never get to finish putting all the english subs in them.

I mainly watch korean dramas and thankfully they are doing variety in the stories like The Legend of the Blue Sea and Defendant which is an awesome drama. You must watch that one is great drama Ji Sung is in my book the best male actor so far. Hope you watch it too.

I see… Actually I looked into it and it seems that there are literally no fully complete subbed Spanish language dramas on Viki! :frowning:

Of course, I would need someone to confirm because I might be blocked from viewing some because of licensing in Australia. But I spent quite awhile searching through all the Spanish language dramas and I was so surprised there wasn’t one single drama fully subbed! I could even make a list of the progress of all these shows and post it. Even the non-fan channel ones that have been licensed by Viki (Like the one you were working on, Sweet Thing) haven’t been fully subbed? (Unless, again, there are some I’m not aware of because they aren’t licensed for Australia) In fact, I think the only drama that was fully subbed before it was taken down was Betty/Ecomoda which had full English subs for 160 eps available at the time.

I probably wouldn’t be interested in a lot of these shows, but I’m sure some people would be! Especially with addictive long running shows, it’s surely the worst feeling to be really into a story line only to find out… theres no more episodes available!! (cough, Bea, cough) What you went through also seems like a really bad and frustrating experience, especially when you were the one willing to help out… :confused: And just like other language dramas, the most popular and best of Spanish language shows surely deserve some English sub appreciation!

Oooh, and I do also love Ji Sung, I’ll have to check it out if it’s as good as what you say because it’s been awhile since I watched a drama of that genre :smile:

This started out as a quest to get Yo Soy Bea subbed, but I feel like I’ve found out so much more about international dramas on Viki. I’m still determined to see Bea subbed though, although it seems like the odds are against it…

1 Like

It is quite lucky you have access to such a good variety of international shows where you’re from! Although subbing and licensing are two different things, I’m quite aware of the struggle that comes with licensing shows for international viewing. Even American shows shown on TV in Aus are quite awhile behind here… Sometimes even years or seasons behind, but it depends on the show. :joy:

This just came into my mind I’m usually never here in the mornings but I need your help. My experience has been bad bc I never had support before from anyone else bc there was no interest in finishing a Spanish drama with English subtitles. If it could be the site issues of having no interest in providing English subs for Spanish Dramas we are hitting a dead end. But if the viki site owners/staff can allow us to work in them and help us to deal with technical, Licensing issues, then we can start a group ourselves.

I have people willing to help out of the kindness of their heart so we can form a group and finish adding those many Spanish Telenovelas english subtitles. They are already segmented (some very poorly but they can be fixed) The segment issues with spanish Telenovelas is that they want to go by the wave and that doesn’t work in Spanish Telenovela. Segmenting Telenovelas require to have some knowledge of the Language too and never do segs following the waves.

. We can start with Bea and request a viki personnel through here (discussion) if they can help us in any way, since the Help Center no longer answers request (I have a case open for more than 8 months now?). So that’s a start with Bea a popular Drama that has been transmitted to many parts of the world in many different languages. The fact that it has long episodes. is always the long intro the many pauses of music in the drama and if there was anyway we can fix that and take it out of the the drama’s 100’s episode could be cut into much less episodes.

It will attract viewers that like you don’t mind long episode dramas. If we get over that hurdle, it’s a done deal. The segment part will require some training besides some (a little) knowledge of the Spanish Language bc that way we won’t have what I call ‘‘jumping jack’’ dramas. If the segments are not done right in the spanish dramas the scenes constantly takes a ‘‘jump’’ that is so annoying and turns people off to watch it too.

In regards to what you saw with your own eyes I have been part of that firsthand since I never get to finish a drama fully subbed except one and when I went back to see it, I never found it here at this site. But at least some people had closure bc they got to see the end fully subbed…

So, with that in mind, your motivated spirit to do what you can to see this project done and my willingness to help you 100% in whatever I can is a start. I have people that as soon as I call will help too and i know many others will join too. As a matter of fact, I already had a Team Name REVAMPING TEAM hahahaha… What’s your suggestion for the team name?

I got to go for now, be here later on. Nice to be part of your team and my name is:

Wanda

Of course I would be willing to help with anything! If you could get a team together to start working on revamping Spanish language dramas/telenovelas on Viki I would be glad to be a part of it. And of course revamping team is a perfect name :smile:

But I think we would definitely need the support of some staff to get behind the idea… for starters, all the telenovelas Viki has licensing rights for haven’t been subbed fully, and now the groups are all inactive. So we would need Viki staff to help us have access as a managing group to those if we were to fix them? But personally, I feel like to attract viewers to these dramas in the first place, it would be really good if Viki could get the rights to a really famous, popular show :sweat_smile: I think the original Columbian Betty is one of the famous and could be used to attract viewers to the genre. But in the past, its been taken down from the fan channel by requests from the original distributor/channel. So its possible that they could be really strict about licensing and it could be really hard for Viki to get the rights to stream it officially if they haven’t already done so, because I’m sure manyy people have requested for it over time.

It seems reallyyyy ambitious, but I do think that getting more popular telenovelas licensed on Viki and then advertising/recommending them often on their homepage is the best way to attract viewers to the genre. I don’t think that the Spanish language dramas Viki has licensed now sound bad or anything, but maybe they aren’t the most popular that will attract viewers? Also, the fact that the subs aren’t finished wouldn’t help haha. Especially half of them don’t even have the first episode with eng subs!! So maybe there needs to be a combination of fixing the subs on these abandoned dramas and getting the licensing for some really popular shows, like Betty, or Bea if possible (which seems to be one of the most popular and liked adaptations? and I think its good, too of course! )

Oh, and another one I’ve heard of is the original “Jane the Virgin” which I’m interested to watch, but I think its on hulu, but I’m not sure if with eng subs or not so I’ll investigate haha.

Regardless, it just seems like a pretty big thing that Viki, known for its really international variety of dramas doesn’t have any full dramas in Spanish with English subs!! Of course there needs to be interest there to get attention… But I know there can be interest there, and will be interest there especially if Viki can start promoting them more.

1 Like

Meanwhile though, I spent all of yesterday trying to fix the subtitles on the first episode of Yo Soy Bea! It was quite a task, because I thought the best thing to do with the subs for the show to start would be to fixing the grammar, but first I had to figure out how to make the subs into a srt. file so I could edit them. After that I started by fixing the grammar… and it’s such a task!! For me, I don’t pay too much attention if the subs aren’t the best quality because I’m pretty good at understanding and linking things together, as long as I can watch the show and understand it. But I know for others its a massive turnoff which is why I wanted to fix it.

It took so long to fix just the first episode. And of course, the episode is split into 4 parts making it a bit harder too. And part two was totally out of sync, so I had to fix the timing directly from the srt file, which is more time consuming then using Viki’s segmenting tool I think. I feel like I’ve learnt quite a bit about segmenting recently, well, I just hope I’m doing it properly haha. After doing that, the file can be applied using a video player like vlc to the video file.

As you can see, the screenshot is from vlc player with the soft sub srt. file added. Also, that screenshot is actually from a short section of the show that had no subs at all and I added them in! I was lucky it wasn’t super hard to figure out, but I don’t think my translation is perfect at all :sweat_smile: So, fixing the grammar and retiming the subs is so time consuming for one person especially when I don’t speak the language so I’m not sure if the changes I’m making are always good.

Of course, now that I’ve gone too all of the effort, I’m not really sure what I can do with the subs I fixed up… I can put them on a dropbox to download but they’re only soft sub files so people would need to download the video, and it would have to be the exact four part version of the video as uploaded to Viki because that’s whats its synced for. Or I could try combining all the four parts into one, hardsubbed video and upload it but I’m a bit worried about doing that, but if people request it like that I could I guess… And I don’t really know if these subs can be put back on Viki, because of course it doesn’t seem like fan channels can be edited now. And even though I can do this much, I can only fix the subs in this way up to ep 35 but I can’t sub any of the eps after that by myself.

But please if people looking at this forum are interesting in them, comment and I’ll put up the link! Because I know if you try to watch the first episode of Bea on Viki now you can’t even to past the second part without running into timing issues.

There are so just soo many problems with getting this show subbed but this much maybe feels like a start and its something I am willing to contribute!! I always think there’s a lot to be said for determination :joy:

2 Likes

I learn one thing, is best to delete all segments (if they are not done right that is). If they are ok then we keep and just add the subtitles. Trying to adjust them are a pain bc it keeps saying is overlapped or that it has subtitles. Clean slate is the best way to go.

I feel is way /or more work trying to fix segments and bad subtitles. In that Spanish telenovela the best approach is to delete all segments.

The same goes with subtitles is best to just write your own than trying to fix the subs someone wrote incorrectly.

Wish you luck with Bea, I don’t do segments so I can’t help in that department but I can help with the subs so if you can cross that hurdle w/segs you can count on me to help you out with subbing. Just send me a PM and is all set. Good Luck and hope all works out.

Si es verdad corregir un segmento toca revisarlo bastante para poderlo sincronizar bien yo aun no he aprendido a sincronizar perfectamente y eso que ya voy en ultimo nivel y me falta los segmentos de graduación para ver como me va.

1 Like

Te deseo mucha suerte y entonces podrás ayudarme en mi proyecto. Tuvieron que borrar todos los segmentos que fue mejor.