Your laugh for the day

I was just on a ;;famous site where they are supposedly using AI for the subtitles, and I read a subtitle as followed:

THANK YOU FOR PLUCKING UP THE COURAGE TO DO THIS.

[plucking up] not even as a slang here in N.Y. I heard anyone using this ‘‘plucking up’’ word.

desplumando - plucking up

plucking up - Is usually used to ‘‘plucking up’’ the feathers from the chicken right after dipping the poor thing into boiling water.

But I did see is normal to use ‘‘pluck up’’ in English translation done in other countries like UK (don’t quote me on that). It’s really when they used the plucking up (wording) that baffled me so much.

I wonder if AI is really to blame or paid subbers; since they no longer add the subber’s names in their credits. They also stopped having them available to watch early in the morning, but not much change in quality of subtitles.

2 Likes

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

4 Likes

Yes, commonly used here in the UK so I don’t see anything wrong with that. :man_shrugging: never given it a second thought but I guess usage would be in the process of pulling something out
Plucking weeds from the garden.
Plucking survivors from the sea.
Plucking random numbers out of thin air.

To me, plucking up courage conveys pulling up from deep within to overcome something (fear, shyness etc) interchangeable with finding the courage to do something.
He downed his drink in one swift gulp, and plucking up the courage to talk to her, he made his way over towards her only be blocked by her 6’4" boyfriend

1 Like

So Superman changes in the public loos now?

2 Likes

Is there even phonebooth anymore? I haven’t seen one in Sweden for 20?years or so…

3 Likes

Same, ironically, they declined in use as phone boxes and more as public loos with the advent of the mobile phone. :nauseated_face:

3 Likes

I’ve seen rare sightings still, here in the Big Apple.
:apple::statue_of_liberty:

4 Likes

It’s a bit sad really, if a cellphone dies it’s not likely that some stranger is going to let you borrow theirs… I do understand why the coin-version is gone but the one with phonecard was great.

3 Likes

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

2 Likes

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

1 Like

These have me dwl :face_with_hand_over_mouth: why did somebody do that with their feet, and toes! :face_with_hand_over_mouth::laughing:
That poor, poor cat! :sweat_smile: Forever on the phone.:laughing:

1 Like

I re-read what I wrote, and I don’t see anywhere in there that I said or implied there was something wrong with that. I never knew it was commonly used in UK, but since I read somewhere they do use ‘‘plucking up’’, that is why I said ‘‘don’t quote me on that;’’ meaning I can’t verify if is true or not because I’m not from UK. I am glad that you, someone from UK explained how the word is commonly used in a sentence.

While for me, plucking up a chicken or my eyebrows is how I would use that word only. In the case of that specific sentence I would have written instead; THANK YOU FOR HAVING THE COURAGE TO DO THIS ( I would also have added: FOR ME). Basically I was mainly criticizing [AI] as taking the roles as subbers since now they don’t even add the ‘‘subber’s name’’ in the credits like they used to do in the past.

I may not have put into words what I was thinking, that ‘plucking up the courage’ sounded natural (due to common usage here)

5 Likes

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I did this a few days ago

6 Likes

“I’m just flooded!” :rofl: I love it.

4 Likes

Why decode a code, just let it unravel like a thread, when all’s said, and done, it’s a domino effect. :woman_shrugging:t5: ijs.

1 Like

calc. students in bipc level

2 Likes

our English lesson for the day. wow how different!!

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

now on to serious stuff

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////couldn’t pass it by

2 Likes

6 Likes

///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

5 Likes