2024 Drama/ movie Watch challenge

I saw this fun challenge on Reddit and I wanted to make our own Discussion version even though it’s already February. We used to do bingo versions before.
You can do as many challenges as you want.

You can aim for these levels:

1 – 15 challenges chill challenger

15 – 30 challenges casual challenger

30 – 45 challenges continual challenger

45 - 60 challenges captivated challenger

60 + challenges champion challenger

Rules

• You can only count 1 drama per challenge
  • You can count dramas that you started watching from January 1st (01/01/2024 | 2024/01/01) and finished before December 31st (31/12/2024 | 2024/12/31 | 12/31/2024) is over in your timezone.
  • You can include Korean / Chinese / Taiwanese / Japanese / Thai, etc. dramas and movies, as long as they are counted as Asian dramas or movies.
    Dramas and/or movies that are produced outside of Asia DO NOT count.
  • Challenges that only include certain genres of dramas that others might not want to watch, do not count (f.e. a challenge only including horror themes). Maybe you can add those as genre-bonus challenges (then I will make a separate list from the challenges and bonus)
  • If you noted a drama for a particular challenge, but afterwards found one that fits the challenge better, you are allowed to change which drama fits which challenge (some people do this at the end of the year).

If you have an idea for a challenge, please look at which number is mentioned last and write #number with your suggestion.

If a challenge has a lot of overlap with another challenge, we can make a random wheel for it, just like some of the challenges on Reddit have. Or you can make one by clicking here.

I will try to update the list as frequently as I can if possible.

Here are a few challenges to get you started.

• #1 A drama in which a character gets caught in the rain without an umbrella

• #2 A drama which features the Truck of Doom | truck-kun or whatever name you know it as
    (The truck is a white truck that usually ends up fatally for a character or ends up as a plot device.)

• #3 A character in which one of the main characters cross-dresses for at least 10 episodes

• #4 A drama which doesn’t feature an OST with sung lyrics (could be the opening or ending. Leitmotifs don’t count)

• #5 A drama where the characters say the title of the drama (either in the original language or in the subtitles)

• #6 A drama in which the leads are older than 30 years old

• #7 A drama that has been on your Watch list for way too long

• #8 A drama based on a historical event that really happened

• #9 A drama that made you crave food

• #10 A drama featuring one of these cliché’s: Wheel of Cliche’s - Spin to choose your cliche
    Updated

• #11 A drama where a character faints after seeing blood

• #12 A drama where a cool or strong character is afraid of an animal

• #13 A drama without a second love interest (second male or female lead is not in love with the main characters)

• #14 A drama named after one of the characters. Original language and translated both count

• #15 A drama where characters actually eat their food instead of leaving it behind

• #16 A drama where a characters’ car breaks down

• #17 A drama where characters do charity work

• #18 A drama in which they accurately portray a psychological disorder (or multiple) in one of the characters

• #19 A drama where a character can’t drink alcohol or has a low tolerance or is allergic to alcohol

• #20 A drama with a female director

• #21 A drama that takes place in this location: Drama/Movie Location Wheel

• #22 A drama where the main character couple don’t kiss (forehead kisses, cheek kisses, etc. don’t count).

• #23 A drama not based on a book or manga

• #24 A drama that is/has a remake

• #25 A drama from before 2010

• #26 A drama that includes multiple generations (characters don’t have to be biologically related)

• #27 A drama where an actor that usually plays bad guys/villain roles plays a good character

• #28 A drama featuring one of the ‘How did they survive that?’ cliché’s (more entry suggestions are welcome): How did they survive that? tropes

• #29 A drama featuring a common scene that happens to characters as they go about their day:
    Common Scenes - Daily Life

• #30 A drama featuring a common scene involving locations (this is different from #21): Common Scenes - Locations

• #31 A drama featuring a common scene involving romance: Common Scenes - Romance

• #32 A drama featuring a common scene related to health: Common Scenes - Health

• #33 PPL challenge - PPL wheel

• #34 A drama where you just can’t hate (one of) the villain(s)

• #35 A drama where the female character initiates the kiss

• #36 A drama that features an actor that often plays the mom/dad/grandma/grandpa role in that role

Bonus

• #B1 A drama that taught you something new about that culture

#B2 - B5 - see challenge #10 to pick one at random

Summary
  • #B2 A drama where the characters go from enemies to lovers
  • #B3 A drama including an amnesia plot
  • #B4 A drama in which the characters are childhood sweethearts
  • #B5 A drama including a cold CEO who is penniless / turns penniless
  • #B6 A drama including a contract or fake relationship
  • #B7 A drama where a character plays a traditional instrument
  • #B8 A character suffers from destinesia
  • #B9 A drama where a characters’ POV is actually shot from their POV
  • #B10 A drama involving timetravel
  • #B11 Watch a drama with 60+ episodes that are at least 45 minutes per episode
  • #B12 A drama from before 2000
  • #B13 A drama where a character who usually plays a good character plays a bad guy/villain role
  • #B14 A drama that doesn’t include common cliché’s / tropes

#B15 - 21 - see challenge #21 to pick one at random

Summary
  • #B15 A drama that takes place: In the countryside
  • #B16 A drama that takes place: At school / college / university
  • #B17 A drama that takes place: Near / on water
  • #B18 A drama that takes place: In the city / town
  • #B19 A drama that takes place: In outer space / another realm
  • #B20 A drama that takes place: In the countryside
  • #B21 A drama that takes place: At work

#B22 - 26 - see challenge #28 to pick one at random

Summary
  • #B22 A drama where a character survives falling of a cliff
  • #B23 A drama where a character survives ‘drowning’ in a body of water
  • #B24 A drama where a character survives getting stabbed or shot
  • #B25 A drama where a character actually dies, but revives somehow
  • #B26 A drama where a character survives getting hit by a car
  • #B27 Any extra’s for the common scenes challenges (#29-32) counts as 1 extra point - max 28 points
  • #B28 Any extra’s for the PPL challenge (#33) - max 9 points

Feel free to share which challenges you’ve already completed, but do add a SPOILER TAG or hide it in SUMMARY, so others can choose to see which dramas/movies fit the challenge.

P.s. I use drama, but movies also count

Thank you to all of those who contributed to the list through your suggestions and votes :heart: :

12 Likes

We could do a cliché challenge. How many enemy-to-lovers dramas/movies, or amnesia, childhood sweethearts, cold CEO and penniless fm LoL

7 Likes
Summary

Would you want all of them on a randomizer like this?
Wheel of Cliche’s - Spin to choose your cliche

Or each as their separate challenge? :blush:
#10 A drama where the characters go from enemies to lovers?
#11 A drama including an amnesia plot
#12 A drama in which the characters are childhood sweethearts
#13 A drama including a cold CEO who is penniless / turns penniless

Poll results: 67% wheel 33% separate

3 Likes

Why exclude entire genres? There are no genres that everyone wants to watch.

3 Likes

Most of the Drama watch challenges do not include specific genres. You can add more general challenges that can be found in multiple genres. That way, everyone can find something in the genres they like to watch. As stated, if the challenge is genre specific (f.e. melo | romcom| action | etc.) and someone doesn’t watch that genre, then they won’t be able to complete the challenge. That’s why I suggested that it could be added as a genre-specific bonus if it was really specific.

2 Likes

If I want to do all 4, does this challenge count 4 times?

3 Likes

I got mine LoL

4 Likes

I got:

3 Likes

I also got Cold CEO and Penniless.

If you have not finished the series yet, but if you have seen an episode which has the challange, does that count? Or does it only count if you have finished watching the entire series?

3 Likes

Oh this is a really fun idea!
For the wheel of clichés I got “Enemies to lovers”

Is there a good way to find dramas based on tropes for the challenges? I feel like enemies-to-lovers is easy enough to find, but something more specific like challenge #1 wouldn’t be easy to know beforehand. Is it supposed to be more of a bingo-style, where I tick it off when I do find it in a drama, rather than going out of my way to look for a drama with that specific scene in it? :grin:

2 Likes

Added them to the Bonus challenges. Yes, you can count each one as 1 challenge completed

Good question. You can keep track of which dramas fit which challenge when you watch it, f.e. when you see it in an episode, but it only counts if you finish the drama :sweat_smile:.
I’ll add it to the rule.

Some will be easier to find, as you mentioned, and some challenges you’ll be able to complete when you watch a drama or if others share which drama they watched to complete the challenge :blush:.
The Reddit also has a good database of dramas, but they match their challenges :sweat_smile:.

2 Likes

MDL has tags, if you find one with the tag you want you can click on the tag and get more dramas with that tag.

tag from Go Ho’s Starry Night (aka Gogh, The Starry Night)

3 Likes

#11 drama where character faints after seeing blood
#12 drama where a cool/strong character is afraid of an animal
#13 drama without a second love interest
#14 drama named after a character
#15 drama where characters actually eat their food instead of leaving it behind
#16 drama where a characters’ car breaks down
#17 drama where characters do charity work
#18 drama in which they accurately portray a psychological disorder (or multiple). Can be main lead or side characters
#19 character can’t drink alcohol or has a low tolerance or is allergic to alcohol
#20 drama with a female director

Bonus ones:

• character plays a traditional instrument
  • character suffers from destinesia (where they go somewhere but forget why they had to go there)
  • drama where a characters’ POV is actually shot from their POV
  • character fall from a cliff and survives
    actually, there are multiple of these “how did they survive that?” cliché… maybe a wheel with those?
  • character gets hit by the truck of doom’s extended family: cards / motorcycle / scooter / etc.
2 Likes

Sharing which of the dramas I watched recently fit these challenges

Update: I organized them in a Google Doc… that was easier :sweat_smile:

So, the dramas only count 1x, but I’m just making a list of which dramas fit the challenges and at the end of the year I’ll pick one drama for each :blush:. Some people prefer to already choose one drama for one challenge

3 Likes

Movie: Nana - challenges 14 or 25
Drama: In A Class of Her Own - challenge 3

1 Like

What challenges would you like to see more of?
Choose as many as you like:

• (Common) Location challenge - Wheel
  • (Common) Scenes challenge - Wheel
  • PPL challenge - Wheel
  • Data challenge (f.e. length drama, airdate, etc.)
  • Character challenges
  • Other (please specify in a comment / message)
0 voters
1 Like

Will there be a PPL challenge or wheel soon? I see common scenes got added.

1 Like

Added based on the comments in

Also updated some of the challenges. Have fun :blush:

2 Likes

OOo That is way too complicated for this mere segmenter to remember all those rules for a year. :woozy_face: I’ll get busy and forget about it so I will pass! Have fun with it! :+1:

2 Likes

:joy: I can see how this is too complicated for some. Luckily it’s not an obligation.
Some might try a few challenges while others might go for more :relieved:.

2 Likes