About courtesy and subbing norms

No, The person in charge of the Japanese team is the Japanese moderator.

Some teams like Spanish and French have French and Spanish editors who may or may not be the moderator.

For the English team we no longer ask subtitlers permission. We just fix. I was designated as an editor because I said too much hahahaha. My first project ever was Goodbye Mr. Black!

1 Like

Hello,

Have you read this guide above? Because there are 2 guides in this post, so maybe you only read the 1st one?

You have CM the first in line, he recruits Moderators. Heā€™s like the big boss.
Then on second line you have the 2nd boss who is the Moderator (CMā€™s minion) who recruits people to make his team = subtitlers and editors (if competent volunteers ask to fill the editor position).
So his team has subtitlers that translate and their translations are corrected by editors.
The Moderator manages his drama and his own team: heā€™s responsible for the quality of the subtitles (editor by default if thereā€™s no editor in his team), he communicates with CM and subtitlers & editors. Heā€™s also responsible to finish his dramaā€™s translations.
So the Moderator doesnā€™t have to send message to CM about how he manages his own team of subtitlers and editors. If the moderator is editing or not, itā€™s not the CMā€™s problem.
Editors donā€™t have a special badge in the Volunteers wall, like itā€™s not a chief position. Itā€™s a corrector.

If youā€™re a Japanese subtitler, your first chief and the first one that you have to talk with if you have a question/problem is the Japanese Moderator.
If thereā€™s none, talk with the big boss aka CM.

But if you have someone who is editing your lines and he is not the Moderator, nor editorā€¦ I would ask this person to be Moderator then (if heā€™s competent) because itā€™s already considering himself as a Moderator (editor by default).

1 Like

Thanks for the link and summary!
No, I didnā€™t read all of them. Iā€™m going to study that in the next days, Iā€™m quite tired today.
Slowly I get my mind settledā€¦

About that case of someone editing my lines, maybe I should simply leave that drama.
Iā€™m not a moderator in the new team, so Iā€™m not to do thinking about the team structure.
Furthermore Iā€™m not fully agreeing to her interpretation (she also have mistakes, too), but I really shouldnā€™t start a bis discussion whoā€™s right or notā€“ for there will be no absolute correct answer.

With my question in this thread I wanted to know how to proceed in the future, if I want to edit or if I am moderating once again.

Thanks to you all!!

1 Like

I want to say thank you to all of you answered my questions and gave me advices.
Iā€™m going to read the whole thread including the links in the next days again to be well informed about the structure.

I started to do subbing years ago, I also was moderator twice (but one drama got to be unavailable in my region), and Iā€™m sorry to have missed all that informations till now.
Back in time, Viki was really encouraging people to join volunteer team, I suppose, there was also that ā€œone linerā€ to get started easily. I really didnā€™t notice that there are so tight rules, I understood itā€™s more like a ā€œplaygroundā€ to all those who simply want to join subtitling.
Now I see it was meant more seriously, striving for more quality. Actually a studentā€™s insufficient subtitles shouldnā€™t be left in favor of respectā€¦

Thanks a lot once again!

3 Likes

Or you can become the Moderator if you feel like it, but itā€™s more work for you :slight_smile: But the counterpart is having the final decision and no one to bother the chiefā€™s decision = your decision.
Or both of you can become moderator for this drama and become more acquainted. Like working together.

If you donā€™t understand something, just ask :slight_smile: We are not mean and thereā€™s no stupid question. Just ask and someone will answer.

Working together asks more organization that sometimes is quite bothersome, but itā€™s necessary so we can make decisions otherwise we will never agree if thereā€™s not someone who has the title of the final decision maker.
But after a while, you will be used to this organization, itā€™s just new or a vague memory for you but if I could grasp it, you can too, obviously :slight_smile: Donā€™t worry about that :relaxed:

1 Like

Thanks for your encouragement!

These two years, my life has a huge up and down and Iā€™m also working sometimes without sleeping, othertimes sitting in front of dramas without sleeping. So I know I canā€™t keep any schedule to be a moderator or joining a team of a drama which is on air. Thatā€™s the reason I am working on dramas uploaded long time ago.:disappointed:

See? Even if I would cooperate with that subtitler to continue ā€œourā€ works, I canā€™t even promise Iā€™ll be doing my part ā€œon timeā€.

I hope I can manage my life to get a bit more well-ordered, then I would join more active project again.:sunglasses:

2 Likes

No, because I was still editing the next part. I came back to her part just because there was a term which I wanted to change everywhere in the episode, and by chance I saw that she had re-done that line.

Because respect for the viewers comes first. Anyway, once the episode is locked, nobody will ever know who from the team did which part.

2 Likes

I know xd I had this period too, I was Viki binging thriller dramas, I was so hooked and afraid that I coudnā€™t sleep at all until morning time.
I also had final exams period where I didnā€™t sleep a lot but thereā€™s always an end to this and after, you have your normal night rythm.

I think that for Japanese, I only check 2 popular kdramas and I saw that the Japanese moderator was Adzuki, I donā€™t know her but you can join her team as a subtitler if you want to subtitle on air dramas https://www.viki.com/users/adzuki/about
And at least, maybe she can explain you better how the things are organized inside a Japanese team and you might learn more with her too :slight_smile:

I think that if itā€™s a drama uploaded a long time ago, you have more flexibilty and you can take your time? I shouldnā€™t say this but itā€™s better having someone coming once in a while than nobody working on it.
But in my opinion, even if I see mistakes in my language, I wonā€™t correct them because itā€™s a liberty that only editors have. And if Iā€™m not the official Mod or editor, I wouldnā€™t take the risk to ā€œfightā€ with people because of some letters that are wrong. If I donā€™t have the title, I wonā€™t act as if I have the title. Even if thereā€™s no Mod, I wonā€™t edit when I see mistakes. To edit, you have to ask in my opinion if you donā€™t have the title to do so.
But maybe you can try to talk with the other subtitler who edited your sentences, because would she like it if somebody else who is not the editor came and edited her own subtitles? Not sureā€¦

Okay have a good night! Iā€™m learning to make my first video clip so Iā€™m off xd

oh, so many people were in the editor in the same time! :open_mouth:
I thought there can be one person at once.

Thereā€™s a drama I can unlockā€¦:smiling_imp:
Joke, not meant to be evil, but I was thinking to do edits there anyway, for there are real mistakes in language.

And it occurred to me right now, that the one student was also assigned as moderator. :thinking:
Well, I doubt she would be back for checking, after so many years, or maybe I toss a message to her.

1 Like

I saw that Adzuki in The Legend of The Blue Sea-Team.
I also see thereā€™s a Japanese discussion board, but it seem to be absolutely silent there. No new topics, no new comments.

I think itā€™s also good to have nearly-forgotten-dramas done.
Please donā€™t worry, I edit nothing without contacting CM (well, sometime I forgot that, but I contacted them right after). But there is still a drama Iā€™m officially listed as moderator, so actually I should have had taken care of it long before. Iā€™m going to do that now.

With that issue-subtitler, I already exchanged some messages.
She said, she simply hadnā€™t think about my feelings and she was just thinking to have subtitles ā€œcoordinatedā€, after she saw there is no editor. (So I was asking myself where I can see if thereā€™s one or not.) She was just a volunteer, the CM didnā€™t know about her. This means, she didnā€™t contacted anybody before she starts.
Actually, Iā€™m a native Japanese but sometimes Iā€™m not sure about how to handle with Japanese people, so I better leave it. Maybe she is upset because of my message saying she should have dropped a message before she edits.

Have a pleasant video making then!
It was a pleasure to have you advicing me!

2 Likes

I read all your comments:

• we created community guidelines out of necessity. So we do it because it works.
  • Viki is now like a group project you do for work or school. You want things to work and be the best it can be (within reason. We should not sacrifice, health or sleep over this)
  • I would be completely at ease of heart leaving a team thatā€™s making me miserable. So you should do it too! Of course you know be polite etc.

Sometimes some of the Korean shows have viewers who want Japanese subtitles. May I refer the CMā€™s to you when that happens? So then you can see if you are interested in working?

1 Like

Very reassuring to know thereā€™s someone helping me with my questions. :innocent:

Yes please, feel free to toss me to some projectsā€“
My interest exists, if also the necessary time exists, I have to see. But Iā€™ll be happy, if yes.
For Japanese, itā€™s not THAT hardly rushed like English.

Now I say good night to you, thanks again for helping me!
Wherever you are, have a nice day/ evening/ night!!

2 Likes

I do have some projects in need of a Japanese manager.
One is a lovely film called the Recipe which I think would be much loved by Japanese viewers.
https://www.viki.com/videos/1084402v-the-recipe
Then there are two Korean classic black and white films:
The Wedding Day, from 1956, a piece of Korean film history:
https://www.viki.com/videos/217882v-the-wedding-day
Kinship (1963), a neo-realist film with an award-winning screenplay and some awesome acting. It is also very interesting because it depicts the situation in Korea after the war, how the old clashed with the new and how the young people sought to create a different, more modern way of existence. For this one we have to wait a little bit because there is still 24% of English missing, but it will be done soon.
https://www.viki.com/videos/217885v-kinship
And, last but not least, a collection of gems. Iā€™m referring to the KBS drama specials. Here itā€™s 18 ā€œepisodesā€, but they are not episodes, but independent 1-hour films made for TV. All of them of very high quality, with excellent screenplay, direction and acting. Actually of the 18 the 14 are 1-hour films and the 4 are episodes of a mini-series, Hair Day.
https://www.viki.com/tv/29729c-unexpected-life-drama-specials

All these are interesting to a person with little time, because:

1. They are not on-air, so there is no rush
  2. They are independent films, so every translator does not need to see all the episode of a series to get to know who the characters are, remember their relationships and stories etc.
  3. Because of the reason stated above, if you only do one or two and then take a break before doing the rest, there are no angry viewers complaining ā€œI want to know the ending, translate the rest quickly pleaseā€

I hope I made my case well, LOL. Let me know if youā€™re interested, either here or by p.m.
https://www.viki.com/messages/new?username=irmar

3 Likes

Hi irmar,

thanks for your offers and your detailed descriptions!
It all sounds very interesting and I really appreciate your suggestions considering my situation!!

I have to work now couple of days, so I will watch the links briefly as soon as I have off days again.

To do not make this thread to my personal thread, Iā€™ll send you a PM as soon as Iā€™m done!

Thanks a lot! :ribbon:

1 Like

same thing happened to me, i was typing/drawing characters on and off for a month to get a part to 60% then someone swept in to take all of my subs by removing music signs, commas, hyphens, modifying spaces, etc. i was unsure until i saw them on a fan channel fixing a segmenterā€™s team credit line. thatā€™s when you knowā€¦

Yes, itā€™s indeed infuriating. But a small consolation is that this person has not ā€œtakenā€ your subs. Your sub count is intact. They gain illegally and by cheating, but at least you donā€™t lose anything.

2 Likes

yeah actually i learned a lot while doing that part so i still gained in the real sense :slight_smile:

3 Likes

dear irmar,

I asked Viki if there are another way to edit than into the sub editor, but I havenā€™t got any reply yet.
Is there any?

Viki wrote me before, that if somebody ā€œoverwritesā€ my subs (including just removing comma), my contributions would get lost.
I was wondering how to edit as an assigned editor, avoiding people losing their contributions because I removed one comma or correct one letter of misspelling.