Annoying subtitles that bothers Me/Myself and I/ to see them here at this site

The example of a bad sub you showed me yesterday is worth mentioning in this discussion!

“Jag har blivit inramad” as a translation for the English “I have been framed.”
“Inramad” is a word used to frame a picture, yet if you don’t know Swedish and only look at the Google translation to English, the English sentence looks perfectly fine.

It’s sad that some show less care about the subtitles. I’m definitely not faultless, I have a lot to learn but I do my work with care, sometimes at the expanse of speed… but I’m still green and will hopefully find a balanced rhythm like you have :slight_smile:

4 Likes

No, don’t say that you are great and some that I have and will recommend to others when searching for a Swedish moderator. Being slow and really understanding what you are doing (and trying out different words) is better than fast and nonchalant. And 171544 subtitles according to Viki has hopefully given me some experience. lol

2 Likes

maria_lavendula_77 1. Hyngnim, vad kan det finnas i huset, nu när den gamla damen dött?2. Jag är trött, ni får laga eran egen mat (or “ni får fixa maten själva”)
That’s what l would have written and it’s similar to @kristelrose but not exactly the same.

Can you please be a sweetheart, and write to me in Swedish how you would have written these two sentence since they are not exactly the same as long as the meaning is the same. Since you know Swedish. Please… :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :hugs:

PS Don’t write Hyungnim which is obviously Korean (that’s irrelevant).

@maria_lavendula_77
I put your subtitle on GT, and it gave me this translation in English:

I’m tired, you can cook your own food (or “you can fix the food yourself”)

Jag är trött, ni får laga eran egen mat (or “ni får fixa maten själva”)

In my opinion your Swedish subtitles were great because the translation in English was the correct format in a sentence structure, and meaning which proves all along what I had said in the other thread.

If the sentence/subtitle in ANY OL is written correctly; the translation tool WILL give the person looking for a translation in English the correct English sentence. On the other hand, if the subber doesn’t know the proper grammar/syntax or makes a typing error the GT won’t be able to give a sentence that will make sense to us.

I vehemently don’t agree with you on this since when I put your subtitle in Swedish I couldn’t make sense of it, and when I added @maria_lavendula_77 Swedish sentence, not only it made complete sense to me, but it’s exactly what the character in the drama was saying to the people; NOT: so feed yourselves (incorrect way to say this in English). It may sound all right to you, and many others, but @maria_lavendula_77 PROVED to me that it can be written in Swedish correctly enough so that in English it makes sense to the English reader/viewer.

My theory that we can check OL (as Moderators/other) on any translation tool, and still get great results still stands.

PS. I’m not saying you don’t know Swedish since you do know Swedish except you, yourself admitted you had not done editing yet in the drama, and made a typo.

I’m not arguing here your proficiency in Swedish, but I am arguing that Translation tools can be a source of help when needed in certain situations. Like adding All Language Moderators in rare language so they can get to have the chance to work in dramas. Instead of the UNFAIR new rule that without a Moderator in their Language they can’t volunteer to do subtitles in dramas/movies etc.

I am trying to do a Swedish translation from English which I know it won’t work so here it goes…let’s see how it works out.

Today, I want to eat a full course meal

Idag vill jag äta en helrätts måltid

GT itself admits the word helrätts is wrong.

For you guys that know Swedish if I add this as a subtitle: Is it correctly written in Swedish?

My English sentence was: Today, I want to eat a full course meal.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

You are right about that the English reader will be confused when watching the drama.

In English: “I have been framed.” In a crime drama would mean that someone put evidence so it makes the person guilty of the crime, but he/she didn’t committed the crime: He/She was framed.

excerpt: GS
What does it mean for one to be framed?

: to contrive the evidence against (an innocent person) so that a verdict of guilty is assured. He claims that he was framed for the murder. b. : to devise (something, such as a criminal charge) falsely.

This is the direct quote from the English subtitles, not from my translation. You may say the English is incorrect, but it is not what my translation produced. Maria’s translation is a different way to translate it, which would also work perfectly (if it would fit the context that she wasn’t aware of). I’ve been iterating that a translation that makes no sense when translated to English can still make sense in the OL and I stand by that.

I did, but the typo didn’t make any difference in the English GT translated sentence, so fixing the typo won’t change the GT outcome.

I agree that it is unfair, especially for smaller languages where finding an active mod is near impossible. I do think that working with a mod when you are new to Viki is really important if it’s possible though. Even though not everyone get to have a mod as wonderful and welcoming as Maria, I’m sure most people still learn a thing or two about how things work on Viki from working under a Moderator. Just having a person you can ask questions is very much needed. I do think some people tend to bend the rules in cases of very small communities where finding an active mod is impossible, but instead of basing it on GT translations you are pretty much trusting the person to not be an abuser, and removing/reporting them if you learn otherwise.

It’s not correct, we don’t have a word for “full-course meal” in Swedish, the closest we have is “Trerätters middag” (Three-course meal). If the English usage of “Full course meal” refers to a meal with more than three courses, it’s possible to replace the “tre” (Three) with a different number. But if we are not given the exact information on how many courses it has, then it’s best to use a different way to express it like Maria replied with.

I’m curious though, how did GT admit that the word is wrong?

4 Likes

kristelrose
This is the direct quote from the English subtitles, not from my translation. You may say the English is incorrect, but it is not what my translation produced.

No, no I’m sorry. I should have been more clear on that; I’m not saying your Swedish translation was wrong, I meant to say we don’t say ‘‘feed yourself’’ in English. PS. Since @kristelrose said the food was already done in the scene, I should have added here that in English we say: Serve yourself.

kristelrose
I’ve been iterating that a translation that makes no sense when translated to English can still make sense in the OL and I stand by that.

Yes, I’m aware of that, and that is why I never argue in any Language I don’t know, and I ask questions like I did here, and you guys answered me and cleared many things too.

kristelrose
I’m curious though, how did GT admit that the word is wrong?

GT underline the words, and in the bottom gives you the alternative word you can use. It says something like this: Did you mean “Trerätters middag”= Three course meal or helrätts måltid= Full course meal?
I don’t know if you see it bc is right next to the small microphone.
Since I don’t know Swedish I can’t tell the difference.
In your GT you have this feature? The microphone teaches us how to pronounce in OL too.

1 Like

deleting this

Laughter the best medicine from annoying subtitles on other places not here at viki

Male Lead tells his mom
The last person I want to marry is him.
He meant
The only person I want to marry is her.

The evil SL tells FL
Why are you the daughter of your mother’s family.
She meant to say:
Why you had to be the legitimate daughter in this family and not me?

ML tells FL
6 years ago the day my parents were born.
He meant to say:
It has been 6 years since my parents died (in an accident).

ML tells FL
Are you dead?
I’m guessing he meant.
Are you alright?

Ml tells nurse about his wife to save his mistress
Slap him Fast!
This one is hard for me because he wanted nurse to take her blood to donate for his lover.
Take out her blood fast!
Get her blood fast!

The male lead tells his Lawyer
Lawyer Zheng help me find out who owns Shi Gu’s children
I’m thinking:
Lawyer/Attorney Zheng, help me find out who is the father of Shi Gu’s children (they were twins).

ML to FL
Do you really say that?
Instead of:
Did you really said that?

Doctor tells FL (lately in all chinese movies all FL are dying of cancer)

Your condition has reached the advanced stage of Gastric Cancer.
Instead of:
Right now, your gastric cancer condition has entered the advanced stage.
(she’s been going to this Doctor when it was stage 1 only)

There is a Japanese Drama that is right now available in a very popular site NFX, and here at viki, and I always wanted to have the opportunity to compare subtitles in a drama because it gives an idea to viewers how subtitles are not better or worse just because they are in a popular site. They both (sites/Rviki) can be of good Quality as long as they keep as close as they can with the characters dialogue in the drama.

So it turns out that the meaning from different subbers/editors in both site were interpreted differently, but I also noticed something very important EMPTY segments are evident in both videos. It seems there is something wrong in the video as it was uploaded.on both sites.

Although on NFX some parts made more sense to me; it dawn on me that some parts here at RViki were also more clear to understand. Of course, we can be very proud to say that BOTH sites are giving their best as possible under the circumstances, and in my opinion there is a problem with the video quality or the placement of the segments. No matter what I will make sure to enjoy it once I choose to star watching again since I do love Japanese dramas. I’m just not in the romance mood these days.

Some funny subs in movies dramas on YT

The ML ask condition of FL

How about it?

instead of: How is she? This terrible subtitle was from a human since AI NEVER add question marks and this sentence had them at the end.

The Dr. answers the ML about the FL

She doesn’t have much to do.
INSTEAD OF: She doesn’t have much time.

So here comes the icing on the cake.
ML tells FL

You are still a citizen of my country. As long as we don’t divorce you still are my wife.

So the ML tells the FL

I will go to the Hospital and cook for you.
We all know where you cook is called: KITCHEN. Yes, he was heading to the Kitchen not the Hospital. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The SFL tells FL
I just have to hook my finger (and he’ll come to me).
We all know the saying goes: I just have to snap my fingers… :rofl:

So SFL wants to remove a girl so she can sit where she doesn’t belong.

You don’t want to give my place to me? First, if it’s hers: why ask for it?

You don’t want to give your seat to me?

Not true. If it appears like a question and lacks a question mark A.I. should treat it like a question and add it on the result.
If you write “What do you want.”, A.I. will guess it was supposed to have a question mark.

1 Like

ilikedeadclowns
Not true. If it appears like a question and lacks a question mark A.I. should treat it like a question and add it on the result.
If you write “What do you want.”, A.I. will guess it was supposed to have a question mark.

Artificial intelligence fails in grammar

11JAN2024

A study by UAB and URV researchers published in the PNAS journal shows that human beings recognise grammatical errors in a sentence while AI does not. Researchers have compared the skills of humans and the three best large language models currently available.

They were given a task that was straightforward for people: they were asked to identify on the spot whether a wide variety of sentences were grammatically well-formed in their native language. Both the humans who participated in this experiment and the language models were asked a very simple question: “Is this sentence grammatically correct?”

The results showed that humans answered correctly, while the large language models gave many wrong answers. In fact, they were found to adopt a default strategy of answering “yes” most of the time, regardless of whether the answer was correct or not.

Therefore, the study reveals that there is a double mismatch between humans and AI. People do not have access to “negative evidence” – about what is not grammatically correct in the language being spoken – whereas large language models, through human feedback, do. But, even so, the models cannot recognize trivial grammatical errors, whereas humans can instantly and effortlessly do so.

Wanna laugh some more? :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I’m going to fix the subtitles the way they were suppose to be written according to the scene.

FL tells ML
You want to eat swan meat? She left you!
You wanted to be with a rich girl, and now she left you!

ML tells FL
I’m just a toad. How can you remember me?
I was too poor. How could you even remember me?

ML to FL
You are a putting off.
You are such a disappointment.

The FL says to her mom
Who is that squirrel?
Who is that man?

FL tells SFL
I’m Xiang. I’ve been with STIR COLD for five years. I’m his lover.
I’m Xiang Gu. I have been Chen Su lover for five years.

ML tells his driver
Stop the car instead of START the car (and drive).

Evil stepmom tells FL
I heard you listen to me.
I believe she was saying: You better listen to me!

FL tells ML
What can I use to eliminate slavishness?
What can I do to get rid of this weak man now?
ML refuses to divorce FL at all cost.

Sanitation cleaning truck wets the FL and she says…
How can you not turn off the faucet?!
In China sanitation trucks wash streets with large amount of water and it soak her and the ML with water.

ML tells FL
You really let me very good appetite. Whether it’s your face.
Abusive ML tells FL: Your face takes away my appetite.

The ML tells Nurse
Extraction! (he wanted his wife to give blood to his lover).
Draw her blood!..Take out her blood!

FL looks very weak nurse ask.
Can you still persist. I can’t smoke anymore (nurse tells the ML).
Are you all right? I can’t continue taking any more blood!

ML to FL
I didn’t know you updated your illness
I believe he meant to say: I didn’t know your illness has gotten worse.

SFL tells ML
I got private blood in my vein.
I have aristocrat blood in my vein.
The blood in my veins comes from rich people.

SFL evil tells her mom why does FL…
Why does his (her) love and career have a double harvest?
Why she gets to have both, his love, and a great career too?

2 Likes

I thought I heard everything in Chinese dramas/movies weird subtitles, but this one left me pulling my hairs off. :astonished: :astonished: :astonished:

Evil step mom tells female lead.
Are you aware that your HAT is not tight anymore? [FL loves another guy but married another guy forced by evil step mom and her own Dad]. Btw, FL wants to divorce the guy they forced her to get married to.

Now more often than I care to see this saying:
A toad wants to eat Swan meat.
In this case the guy is poor (the toad) and he’s in love with a rich girl (the swan?).

SFL tells female lead.
The place where I feel depressed during the winter should belong to me.

Ml tells SFL
Where does this say?
If I’m not wrong it should be: What are you saying?

FL tells ML as she has a bomb in her lap.
I’m afraid I will be late in time.

FL tells Dr.
I’m here to call you.
Okey, the Dr. is in front of her so…whatever.

ML tells SML who has a knife to FL neck.
Don’t p ri ck her.

FL tells SML
Why you do this? He’s your chicken brother.

FL (all tie up) tells her brother who got there to save her.
Without you I would arrive on time… :scream: :scream:

SFL tells FL.
I’m pregnant (from FL husband) I burnt the road.

Evil SML says to group of people.
Am I a jacquard (they wrote it: JACKRAD) or a Leopard? Whatever that means… :screwdriver: :screwdriver: :screwdriver: :screwdriver:

Butler tells his Boss.
Young Master, this iron tree blossoms when it’s told to blossom. (he was talking about FL that ML treats bad bc of jealousy).

If anyone is familiar with chinese sayings give us a hand and make us understand them…please :pray: :pray:

the iron tree blooms is an chinese idiom meaning
a highly improbable or extremely rare occurrence
≅ “once in a blue moon”

1 Like

Thank you so much for sharing that with us. It’s fascinating to me to be able to learn new things.

It has come to my attention that here at RViki subtitles now have slang words integrated into them (which in my opinion is a disgrace and utterly disrespect to viewers).
But after some research and trying to find the root of the problem I discovered that many of these slang words come mainly from UK, and not US as they have tried to be saying they come from.

First and foremost USA writers know when to add a slang word into a character/script. I have never seen a slang word coming from an elderly person, an aristocrat or a Professional figure like: Doctors, Lawyers etc…I have seen them in USA shows/dramas/movies WHERE the character has been written that these words will come from the mouth of the actor/actress.

It’s to me very heartbreaking to see now so often here at RViki an Asian elderly person supposedly saying slang words that you know for a fact they themselves have never heard of (especially in Traditional/Joseon Era/Qin Dynasty etc…In my personal opinion is a disrespect, and it needs to be stopped, controlled and avoid as much as possible.It takes away so much from the scene, and the enjoyment of watching the drama/movie.

A word that became an issue of whether it was a slang word, an abbreviation or other gave me the chance to look for its origin and it turns out that the word divvy is…
Excerpt: GS
Originating from prison slang in the UK . A job often given to the lowest inmates was to put cardboard dividers into boxes. Someone given this job was a ‘divider’ or a ‘div’. Now used as an insult to those who display stupidity.

And yes in the SOUTHERN part of USA we have many slang words like divvy; a stupid person : Don’t be such a divvy!
Excerpt:
SMART Vocabulary: related words and phrases. Stupid and silly people.

Today, the “South” is defined by Travel South USA as Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virginia and West Virginia

divvy

noun [ C ]

UK informalUK /ˈdɪvi/ US

Add to word list

FINANCE (also divi)

a dividend (= part of the profit of a company that is paid to the shareholders):

NOW… I want to make it clear that whether the word is a slang, a abbreviation, my issue is not debating it’s origin or
qual·i·fi·ca·tion.

EVERYTHING has its place, and any GOOD QUALITY translator/Subber NO MATTER what Country or part of the world you come from; YOU MUST respect the writer of that drama/movie, the culture and their precious language. THINK Subbers before you put a word in a place where it has no place to be put on. THE VIEWERS, ACTORS/ACTRESS deserves that much RESPECT. :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear: :smiling_face_with_tear:

ML tells his Assistant
Even if you dig through a piece of sausage find him (her) for me. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Fl thinks to herself.
What’s the point of innocence. I’m sending myself tonight (she’s going to have s*x).

FL tells ML
Hands on me guy. Are you there?
:astonished: Don’t have a clue.

FL tells her kids their Dad is dead when he’s not.
Please don’t lie about corpses in the future.

Assistant tells his Boss (ML)
Indicate to serve.
He meant to say: I did as you ordered me.

ML to FL
If you want to work here throw the pig out. :scream: :scream: What pig?!

The ML tells FL
You molested me six years ago.
Dad ask child.
Who is your mother?

Child tells her Dad.
The teacher mother that was swept by the flood.

The Grandma tells her grandkids when she first meets them.
Children would you like to be a grandmother?

Dr. Tells FL
Your wound is badly burned. I told him the precautions of changing him (her) dressings.
Good instructions DR. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

ML tells FL
Take care of yourself with peace of mind.

SFL tells ML
EYE PAVILLION (Ml’s name) Did you hear it? He he’s terrible.

ML tells the FL.
Su Qing we divorce. You want me to be with the enemy daughter who killed me?( the guy is obviously alive).

ML tells FL (after s*x)
PICK up the contraceptive pill and eat it!

The FL is trying to be ??? philosophical? :face_with_peeking_eye: :face_with_peeking_eye: :face_with_peeking_eye: :face_with_peeking_eye:

I blew the breeze this evening like disturbing jet lag staying in the wrong place.

Btw: This can’t be a chinese saying, right?