Annoying subtitles that bothers Me/Myself and I/ to see them here at this site

Yes, “anyways” is a word in Australia. It’s an informal word, though, and usually used as a signal to indicate that the speaker is bringing a conversation to a close because he or she needs to head off somewhere.

Example:
I’ve been talking to a friend on the phone for 10 minutes and I need to go to an appointment. At the first opportunity, I would probably say something like, “Anyways… I need to leave now. Life is calling. Catch you next time! Bye.”

6 Likes

There are teams without a GE (in which case the CE is actually both GE and CE), but no CE is not an option.
There may be 3 editors, but they don’t all have the same task. The TE is only responsible for mistakes in the translation, not for the level of English. Their English needs to be understandable, but it doesn’t have to be perfect. The other editors will take care of that part.

Neither. We are not allowed to use interrobangs (though you will see them a lot in the subtitles, anyway).

You mean (square) brackets. :slight_smile:
If there is a full sentence inside the brackets, the period goes inside. If the text in brackets is not a full sentence, we use no period at all.
[about]
[They don’t know what they are talking about.]
This is just a rule our sensei taught us, not a personal preference.

True.

Actually, all movies come presubbed nowadays so the ones doing the “garbage work” are not Viki volunteers.

A comma between the subject (all that girl is good at) and the infinite verb (is) is NOT acceptable.

And I hope you will grant @manganese’s request:

I know for a fact that he is a very serious and dedicated editor who wouldn’t want to leave the viewers with what you call “garbage work.” Good editing does take time, though, and sometimes there are circumstances that slow down the process. I’m sure you will be more satisfied by the time the English team is ready. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

@angelight313_168 I’d suggest waiting for at least six months before requesting for changes in the grammar of the English subs here :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

@manganese

Done. I didn’t even know it took so long to edit a drama nor I knew the drama was having other issues. I thought it was just been left as is; like I’ve seen done with many other dramas, just so they could go to the many other projects they take without cleaning up the one they had (previously).

I saw recently that you are an English Editor in the drama, but also saw in another thread, that you took on another project so I jumped the gun, and I thought you would stop working on [ONE THE WOMAN] as an editor. I’m glad you will continue working on the drama. I loved it, even though at times some of the subtitles struck a nerve on me…:peace_symbol:

3 Likes

@mirjam_465

@mirjam_465
A comma between the subject (all that girl is good at) and the infinite verb (is) is NOT acceptable.

I WROTE ACCEPTABLE to me/myself and I, compared to the subtitle displayed in the drama for viewers to see: [Work Is All She’s Good at, that Girl] I never said it was CORRECT I wrote ACCEPTABLE, if in reality in the Korean language the phrase was expressed that way by the actress, but I have no way of knowing that, do I?

Since I don’t know Korean I can’t say what was correct or not, but feel the way I wrote it (although grammatically incorrect) sounded more acceptable than the complete mess of a sentence they wrote there as a subtitle. If is a pre-subbed drama, I can finally understand the reason…WHY.

The reason why I call it ‘‘backwards’’ because in ENGLISH the subject goes first (in this case THE/THAT GIRL). Now, if I knew Korean and understood the dialogue said in that specific scene, I STILL bet $$$ the way they wrote that subtitle, and the way the Korean actress ‘‘said’’ the sentence, they are two whole totally different thing.

This is just a rule our sensei taught us, not a personal preference. You mean (square) brackets. :slight_smile:
If there is a full sentence inside the brackets, the period goes inside. If the text in brackets is not a full sentence, we use no period at all.
[about]
[They don’t know what they are talking about.]

This is just a rule our sensei taught us, not a personal preference.
By your: ‘‘not a personal preference’’ quote/unquote, it seems to me that you also didn’t agree with what the sensei taught you, am I right or not? But you keep doing it? why? If you knew it was incorrect why not mention it to her/him? By doing this you could have stopped a pattern that now is going all over the dramas, and with no hope to see that fixed.

First of all full sentence in SQUARE BRACKETS oops I put italics don’t need a period inside. The reason being that full sentence like [They don’t know what they are talking about.]

AS Explained by: Oxford English and Spanish Dictionary

Square brackets (also called brackets , especially in American English) are mainly used to enclose words added by someone other than the original writer or speaker, typically in order to clarify the situation:

EXAMPLE: He [the police officer] can’t prove they did it.

If parentheses or brackets are used at the end of a sentence, the period should be placed outside, as the final punctuation:

EXAMPLES:

They eventually decided to settle in the United States (Debbie’s home).

Dante testified that it was the last time he saw them [the missing coins].

I AM SO GLAD that this thread is finally getting the attention I was hoping would get so that things don’t continue to stay the way is going. :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:

ALSO, I don’t understand why ANYONE would take other projects; when the one they were working on, is still NOT fully edited. DRAMAS should be fully edited in a DECENT amount of time, and 6 months it’s a ridiculous amount of time to edit the dramas . BY then, I’m pretty sure they won’t even remember the drama ever existed.

I will delete/hide some of the drama’s screenshot since I wrote I wouldn’t mention dramas. MY BAD…:scream:

PS.

Actually, all movies come presubbed nowadays so the ones doing the “garbage work” are not Viki volunteers.

YOU KNOW very well I was referring to garbage work as adding periods all over the page to count as a subtitle NEVER IN HERE, I SAID the subtitles written by viki volunteers are GARBAGE. Don’t you dare to go there because I know you understood very well what I was writing to @xylune. These abusers are HERE ON RVIKI too, and they do periods all over as subtitles, and you know what? Nothing is done about it because there are no staff here taking care of that. @jeslynl… who helped me in the past, no longer accepts message, and that’s going on for close to a month now. She went on vacation?

So the reason why these abusers are still doing this periods … as subtitles because their account still active here at Rviki. They need staff looking into that because what happened to @xylune was VERY unfair.

1 Like

@cgwm808 Thanks…:hugs:

Summary

re: One the Woman five of the listed Korean to English subtitlers are paid subbers assigned by viki to subtitle the episodes.

Isn’t that a shame they are getting paid to do such bad work? Meantime, you and many others that don’t get paid give better quality work in your subtitles. I know in my heart, that [ANYWAYS] is not coming from Rviki volunteers.

2 Likes

According to my knowledge, these were the official English HK subs for said movie. They’re everywhere like that, but they don’t really meet the standards.

I’m receiving PMs, Facebook posts and whatever comments… or rather: They ask me where else they can watch it in German if there’s no release for a long time. :woman_shrugging: Well, I’m certain that proper editing is required for the audiences to enjoy a drama. Once I translate it further, it doesn’t matter to me if there are minor issues, as I’m not copying it like that. It’s important for the people watching it.

4 Likes

Anyways is “non-standard” English for me so even though the word is in the dictionary, I automatically edit it to “anyway.”

3 Likes

ANYWAYS here in NYC, and to me, is a ghetto slang. It’s also to me a word that is not only spelled incorrectly, I consider it as disparaging and offensive. This word in many places is considered to be unrefined, low-class, cheap, and inferior to be used by an educated adult.

IN HERE: NYC when someone use ANYWAYS when talking to you/me/whomever, is to cut you off in a very disrespectful way or making sure you know, you are of no importance to that person. This word is mainly used here by young kids, and I would hate to hear adults saying that word to me/myself and I. I HATED even more; when I see it in a Korean drama subtitle because that word doesn’t exist in the Korean Language so why have it so often as a subtitle? What’s so hard to write ANYWAY, and give the respect the Korean character/role deserves! All this ghetto slang ‘‘talk’’ don’t belong here ar RVIKI in a subtitle.

When you (respectfully) or @kdrama2020ali, speak to your circle of friends or like you said because is a way to cut off a conversation that needs to be cut off, that makes a LOT of sense. BUT here in a subtitle? Coming from the mouth of an elderly person or a NUN KOREAN character? That’s too much disrespect in my opinion. They don’t deserve that. I have never seen it on a Chinese subtitle, but if you have seen it, it’s HONESTLY a first to me.

2 Likes

Thank you so much I appreciate that with all my heart because it does affect me when as a viewer I have to see this in a subtitle.

To better understand my viewpoint:
Non-standard English is the informal version of the language. It’s already clear that is an informal way of writing a word. As such, non-standard English is only acceptable in certain settings. This is mostly when chatting with friends in informal situations.

It’s not acceptable in formal situations such as schoolwork or exams, and much less in a subtitle here at RVIKi because use of these informal words lowers the standards of quality we always had in the subtitles here at this site.

Now, like I said before I see a scene from a drama where a Korean teenager is using the word anyways when talking to her korean teenage friends, I can swear to you, it won’t bother me one bit. Coming (as I have seen it and have the screenshots to prove it), from an ELDERLY Korean woman/man/a nun! I just can’t accept that.

Thanks again for understanding where I’m coming from.

1 Like

Hi angelight313_168.

I totally understand how you thought that the show was left as is. Thank you so much for removing the images. I agree with you. It’s a great show. I’m finding it very, very entertaining. We’re presently working on episode 11. When I find a bit of time, I’ll work ahead and correct many of the obvious errors in the subs. This will make the show’s subs a bit friendlier to viewers.

I’m very grateful that you read my post and acted so swiftly.

I hope you have a wonderful 2022!

Thank you again,
Manganese

3 Likes

This is very interesting. Here in Australia, the word is used between friends. It’s a friendly word and a comfortable way to bring a conversation to an end between people of equal social status. That said, it’s not a word that would ever make it into a formal setting and it’s highly unlikely people who don’t know one another would use it. Like you, I would never accept it in a subtitle.

2 Likes

**I understand that it might not always be used in “formal” speech but I was pointing out the fact that it IS a word. I was also pointing out that I DO use it…not necessarily write it - subs are also people Speaking…
and I don’t consider myself inferior…

Since I’m a Southern Woman - Who considers myself a pretty smart cookie and also not at all - hmmm -
ghetto or uneducated - hmmm well - that’s an interesting take when the dictionary states that this word has been used for 800 years.

3 Likes

We usually use square brackets to enclose Translator notes and on-screen text.

Though this IS correct, the rules for subs are slightly different because we have to consider sub length, too.
The reason the square brackets are put outside the sentence - If a viewer is a slow reader/doesn’t care about TNs, they can skip reading whatever is in the brackets. Whatever is in the brackets is “thrown out” of the sentence, so the reader can choose to skip or not. Especially with TNs, the sentences are sometimes too long to read in the given segment time. Some people just go on with the drama while others(those who are interested in cultural context) pause and read whatever is in the brackets.

TEs are needed everywhere, so they usually take more than one project. Sometimes there are too few segmenters, since a lot of volunteers can’t commit to long dramas with more than 30 eps. GEs and TEs can’t do anything before the TE checks the subs so the only thing we can do is wait. GEs who don’t want to wait - since they have time on their hands to do more work - find new projects to fill the waiting time. There are a lot of other things that could happen, and the work inevitably gets delayed.

2 Likes

I get the impression that you don’t understand what “presubbed” actually means. If the subs are already there before Viki buys the rights for the movie, then how can you expect the subber(s) to have a profile here on Viki? They are just paid subbers (or in the worst case an A.I. agent) hired by another company. And we may or may not approve of their work, but we don’t know whether or not they meet the standards of the company that hired them. So when such a show comes to Viki, we have no subbers (since there already are subs) but only editors, who will do their best to adjust the subtitles to Viki’s standards. There are no abusers involved in that process.
The abusers you are probably referring to are the ones who randomly put numbers, letters or periods in the segments instead of the actual translation, just to get more contributions. Those profiles get removed if they get discovered. But it has nothing to do with the situation described above.

Don’t YOU dare threaten me or twist my words!

Not.

Why would English editors use a Spanish dictionary? But FYI, we use Merriam Webster.

In subtitling on Viki, square brackets are used for on-screen text. You won’t randomly find them in the middle of a sentence. Therefore it would also be very strange if any potential period would be outside the brackets. The text might be a note from someone, telling their spouse that they went grocery shopping:

[I went to the supermarket.]

Wouldn’t it be ridiculous to put the period, which was on the note, outside the brackets?

1 Like

@angelight313_168

Jeslynl is leaving viki, qcs got informed in today’s news letter.

3 Likes

So sad to see her go :disappointed_relieved:

4 Likes

Yes, it is, and i wonder who will be our next discussion forum moderator…

3 Likes

@xylune may have to come and clear things, but what I understood was -

Xylune was working on a presubbed HK movie here on Viki. The presubs had weird punctuation and so xylune’s sub count increased by 1200 just by putting full stops here and there. This isn’t a big deal because someone has to correct punctuation.

We should stop discussing this. I don’t know about the others, but as an editor, it feels like we’re being blamed for things we never did. I’m not saying you don’t have a right to voice your opinion, but this paragraph -

— has multiple grammatical mistakes, too. We all make mistakes when we’re angry or stressed, so I think it’s better to move away from this topic. I feel like a lot of users have just been repeating the same explanations over and over again. At this point, we’ve explained everything that an editor does right and everything an editor can do wrong. Presubs are presubs. Most of the time, an AI does them. That’s why they’re so terrible. As far as I know, they just come along with the drama. Deciphering them is a nice challenge sometimes :joy:

We, as a community, will keep striving to create better subtitles so everyone can have the best viewing experience :blush: We hope for a day when no one can find annoying subs on this site! There are lots of dedicated, hardworking editors here who do their very best and teach others to do the same. Fighting!

3 Likes

That’s correct, I didn’t know it was misleading :woman_shrugging: :laughing:
I mean, sometimes there are subtitlers who don’t use “.” or whatever in unsubbed dramas (which was the case in a recent drama, and they missed to correct some of those) - but I guess not following “orders” is always an issue and probably won’t change either.

4 Likes