Anyone upgrade to Viki Pass Plus yet?

I wanna see that :open_mouth:

I used to watch with the ads and it wasnā€™t a big deal because Iā€™d gotten hooked on Korean dramas. I was very excited to finally have enough extra money to get a Viki subscription. It seemed like a good way to help out even though I didnā€™t mind the ads. Unfortunately, I just donā€™t have the extra money to upgrade. It might not seem like a lot to most people, but thatā€™s just my reality.
Iā€™m even more disappointed that shows like My Love From the Star have been blocked off for those without the Pass Plus. I canā€™t even watch that now. I take it to mean that the other Pass Plus shows will not eventually be available to everyone? If that is the case then I will not be renewing my subscription at all. I may (in the future) go and see what sort of prices/shows DramaFever is offering or if there are any other sites like these out there instead.
I hate this because Viki had such a close-friendly feel which is why I was so happy to give what little I had once I could.
Oh noā€¦ Lie to Me is unavailable too! :frowning:

1 Like

@ joycrux_914
Keep checking back on those shows. Because the episodes are supposed to be unlocked after a period of time. Iā€™ve found today that episodes were unlocked for Running Man and 2 Days & 1 Night.

Iā€™ll keep an eye out then; thank you for letting me know! My pass doesnā€™t end until November, so Iā€™ll wait until then to make my final decision.

1 Like

and yes DF subbing in some of their dramas are lacking too I said someā€¦ Sorry for both of these places, I do like them, and I guess in due time I am going to cancel both. and btw where could we watch these dramas on other links with good quality as these two. Netflix? oh it does have some of the dramas, but not like Viki or DF, Hulu is not as good on these Foreign dramas as they used to be.those other off the wall sites I have been to a few, they are ok and do have quite a lot of the dramas, Chinese ,Japanese, Taiwanese, Korean. I would rather stick with ones I know. I do like these dramas
Boy, all of you have got me to thinking if its worth it or not, both Viki and DF, if I should keep them or not! yeah, I am hooked on these dramas, I also am on a fixed income ,so maybe find something else to do! Read a book? do genealogy? sew? crochet? something!!! I will just have to wait & see.

1 Like

You know, each person has their own specific needs, so there is no answer good for everyone. Only you know which one is the best for you, what is more important to you and what is worth saving for.

3 Likes

I recently subscribed to VIki Pass Plus so I can watch Hospital Ship (I saw this on the Kocowa page, but I preferred to watch it here). To my HUGE disappointment, Viki never licensed Hospital Ship, so I ended up wasting money on Viki Pass! :scream:

i donā€™t get why I would subscribe to Viki Pass Plus for Kocowa shows, if I can actually get more titles like Hospital Ship on kocowa.com. Really bummed out ā€“ was looking forward to see Ha Ji Won in her first medical drama.

1 Like

thanks Irmar!

@joycrux_914
Youā€™re welcome. One of my favorite sayings is ā€œDonā€™t be hastyā€, ha ha.

1 Like

@ irmar
Youā€™re exactly right.

1 Like

just a reminder I did that last month, and came back here, I just hate to think me jumping off the deep end so to speak and regret it later. Like I said I do like the dramas be it here or DF. so your words I will take to heart ā€œdonā€™t be hastyā€ā€¦thanks yā€™all, I will stay here for a timeā€¦

1 Like

I am also really disappointed in the unannounced change with Kocowa. i donā€™t mind paying $5 a month for Viki, its cheap enough but I think there should have been some notification about limiting access to shows. Worst of all, when I went to cancel my annual subscription I found out I wouldnā€™t be reimbursed for my 7 unused months. So we either have to pay more to have access to shows or stick with the $5 a month plan that is now very limited. Aside from horrible Viki support ie automated replies, I have been very happy with my Viki subscription until now.

1 Like

What I donā€™t like about the viki pass plus is that it took shows which were available with just the viki pass and put it into the viki pass plus list. That really irritated me, I can understand doing it for new shows but retroactively restricting access to older show that were available before just rubs me the wrong way and I am sure some people who were in the middle of watching the series got royally screwed over.

2 Likes

I know, itā€™s surely very irritating, but it couldnā€™t be helped. Their license expired and viki wasnā€™t able to secure it again, because they became the property of Kocowa, which is owned by some of the largest Korean broadcast companies. Seeing that this would happen, viki secured a partnership with Kocowa, in order not to be deprived completely of many shows, old and new: but this comes at a price, and thatā€™s how vikipass plus was born.
And vikiā€™s competitor had to do the exact same thing, for the exact same reason. Unfortunately they had no choice: either this or not have these shows at all.

2 Likes

@ irmar
Thank you for your continued efforts to correct the misinformation about the Kocowa/Viki connection.

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been a vikipass subscriber since 2013ā€¦ they are putting more and more things behind even greater paywallsā€¦ I understand after reading this that itā€™s because of their new partnership. I used to also help subā€¦ but it feels they are forcing me to pay more in order to even help subā€¦ sort of defeats the purpose.Also sucks when my region doesnā€™t have the ability to watch certain popular dramas like Goblinā€¦ I love the viki community and the timed comments are a great innovation, but as more and more content I want to watch is stuck behind licenses and more expensive paywalls I feel like Iā€™m wasting my monthly subscription fee as I have less and less I can watch even though Iā€™m a paying customer. I kind of like Drama Feverā€™s method where as you pay for greater passes you actually get value adds like being able to download shows to watch later (like NetFlix)ā€¦ this current model of paying for even more exclusive shows feels like Iā€™ve been betrayed (I locked into a subscription as it said I would pay the same monthly price forever for the same access to content)ā€¦ even though I only pay $4/monthā€¦ not sure it is worth it anymore. I mean for the viki pass plusā€¦ they are basically more expensive than netflixā€¦ for very specific content.

1 Like

Why do you feel that? If you cannot watch Goblin it means youā€™re in America, right?
American QCs who had vikipass now have automatically access to vikipass plus. So if you help sub and you reach 3000 subs you will be able to see everything behind that wall. Without paying a single cent.
Americans (North and South) are actually the lucky ones.
Itā€™s we non-Americans who cannot see things behind vikipass plus - even if we are willing to pay. And we cannot even access DramaFever content at all.

1 Like

heck no absolutely not I refuse to give viki more money

1 Like

Iā€™ve had Viki Pass for years but rarely watch Viki. I kept the subscription because itā€™s only $4.99/mon., and I occasionally watch a drama or an episode of a variety show here (maybe once every two months) because sometimes I prefer the font size or style of the subtitles on this site over others. However, I checked back on this site yesterday to see if subtitles to a certain variety show was available, and discovered that watching the show now requires a Viki Pass Plus subscription ($9.99/mon.), when the same show (including subtitles) is free on other sites.

For me personally, $4.99/mon. now gets me nothing that I canā€™t watch elsewhere for free, and Iā€™m not willing to pay $9.99/mon. since I watch k-dramas/c-dramas/k-varieties infrequently. So I cancelled the Viki Pass subscription that Iā€™ve had for at least 3-4 years.

3 Likes

Oh wellā€¦I LOVE lakorns! :sunglasses: