BL fan club / fan chat on Viki

For Vegas Pete

Summary

I agree. They didn’t build up enough anticipation for us to get invested in their romance. I think most of the readers of the novel knew of their relationship and how it progressed, so everyone kind of collectively waited for those spicy scenes. But for ppl that didn’t read the novel, we have nothing to go by.

For Kim Chay

Summary

In the drama they’re probably only 18 & 21 but their real age difference is what makes it hard for me to ship them. And Jeff really does avoid making it “romantic” when asked about his love line with Barcode. I think the writers of the drama made KimChay more like a first “puppy love” type of relationship. In the teaser they had with the previous actor who played Chay before, KimChay actually had kiss scenes. But when Barcode took over the role, they had to change it.

3 Likes

Thoughts on KinnPorsche Ep 12:

Summary

So, the VegasPete relationship is developed in the Ep. 12. While I do appreciate the changes that the TV drama version has made in the VP storyline, I still can’t get behind this CP. It still feels like Pete has some Stockholm Syndrome in his “love” for Vegas, and Vegas feelings seem to just come out of nowhere. It happens too fast. I think if the writers had taken the time to include more VP interaction scenes that clearly showed some sort of connection, or at the very least a strong MUTUAL sexual attraction between VP before the capture/torture/kidnapping in Ep. 11, I would have been able to get more in support of this CP and the VP storyline.

That being said, I liked that the torture was only 1 brief scene in this episode, and the severity was toned down. ( We went from electrocution to whipping with a belt, so while it was extremely difficult to watch it wasn’t as severe a form, and it was thankfully brief.) I greatly appreciated the fact that there was no rape or sexual assault. Kudos to the writers for making this very important change from the source novel. I was able to believe that Pete and Vegas could have a relationship at all because of this change. Another positive was the writers made sure to show the audience that the sex scene was consensual. Pete wanted Vegas and Vegas wanted Pete. I also like that the writers show Pete consenting to everything in the sex play, including the light bondage. The sexual preferences were mutual. Having Pete hand Vegas the rope to tie him up was very good scene by the writers. I really appreciated all of those changes, and it helped to make the sex scene between Vegas and Pete so much hotter.

Kudos to both actors as once again, they are killing it in their roles! Bible and Build are doing such a great job as Vegas and Pete. Acting was on point!

Finally we get a little movement on the mystery of Porsche’s family connections to the Mafia world.

Kim trying to fool himself that Chay means nothing to him- good luck with that!
I needed more ThanKhun in this episode.

Only 2 episodes left, so I hope the writers can wrap up everything neatly and provide a satisfactory ending.

2 Likes

A couple of days ago I saw Cutie Pie, and now I can’t stop watching the behind the scenes footage of Zee and NuNew and other videos of them.

I just saw this performance:

Where is the replay button, because…
OH OH OOH :heart_eyes::fire::smiling_face_with_three_hearts::fire::heart_eyes:
So cute!

2 Likes

I fell into the CP rabbit hole too. :joy:

Officially a zonzon at this point lol

2 Likes

It’s hard not to be, they are adorable and they take their ship seriously, if there’s a camera on, they’re a couple, even in front of their parents. I saw a video (can’t find it) where NuNew’s mom wanted to shake Zee’s hand, and he wouldn’t let her touch him, lol

3 Likes

Yes, they are very adorable. I saw that clip and thought it was too cute. I looked around to find how they started as a ship and I just fell deeper.

Ship culture is a huge thing in Thailand. Some ppl have had ships for 5+ years. Until one of them gets married, comes out as in a relationship (with someone else) or they had a fight. etc. And some ships end up dating in real life.

3 Likes

I’m curious about something. As I was scrolling bl Twitter, I noticed something that was discussed and was wondering what Vikians thought.

Do you think it’s necessary for bl actors to be part of the lgbtqa+ community to act in a bl series?

Recently a bl actor (came out/expressed) that he was straight and bl Twitter fans had a divided reaction. Some saw it as a job and that they’re just doing it for fan service. And some (lots of ppl in the lgbtqa+ community) thought that straight actors were sort of using their community for gains etc.

2 Likes

Hi @midknightmoodz :slight_smile: That’s a great question. Here’s my take on it…

Being LGBTQ+ or straight is not a choice, so it stands to reason that some of the BL actors will be straight since most people in this world are straight.

It’s acting. Acting means pretending to be something you are not. Whether or not a BL actor is part of the LGBTQIA communities is irrelevant from my perspective. As a member of the LGBTQ+ families, I find it hugely complimentary that straight guys are happy to take on gay roles and to help promote the rainbow communities. I have nothing but a tonne of respect for these men and women.

When Max Nattapol of MaxTul (Tul Pakorn) fame came out as straight a while ago, it caused many fans to re-evaluate their understanding of the couple. These two guys were very convincing as a legitimate couple in shows and at fan events. Max’s coming out was uncomfortable for many people. I found it quite humorous that a person needed to come out as “straight” :slight_smile: That’s a rare event! I honestly think that it’s better for actors to be upfront right from the start and not pretend to be gay if they are not.

–Manganese

6 Likes

I have the same opinion, although I’m not part of the community. But I feel like if they’re working in this particular field, that’s just what it is, it’s acting. But what they do outside of the acting, off-screen, is another matter.

Personally, I’m use to the fan service from Thai celebrities. Whether they are part of the lgbqta+ community or the straight community, I just see their work as work.

I don’t really put too much thought into their dating/personal life.

I live for the fan service and when the ship sinks, I move on.

3 Likes

When I first started watching BL I wondered if the actors were gay or not, but that didn’t last long, like @manganese said, they’re acting, it’s a roll. There have been quite a few gay actors who play straight parts, no one seems to wonder if kissing the opposite sex is a big deal for them, or if it’s been asked I didn’t see the article.

Where does the line stop, if you say straight actors can only play straight roles, do you then have to limit the lgbtq+ community too? If not it’s hypocritical. I wouldn’t want to limit the actors/actresses like that.

6 Likes

I think for some bl fans they feel betrayed when the actors do skinship fan service at events but come out as straight.

4 Likes

They clearly just need to grow up.

They are probably the same fans that think their Kpop ships are real, but if their Idol really did come out, it’d be a huge scandal and they wouldn’t listen to them anymore.

5 Likes

That’s for sure. The shipping is fun but it gets tiring when fans like that ruin the experience. Cancel culture is a mess.

ZNN are flirting on Twitter constantly. If they ever come out as straight, they will receive a lot of hate.

4 Likes

I do not think that actors need to be gay in real life in order to act in BL drama series or films. I’ll go even further and say that actors do not need to be a part of the LGBTQA+ community in order to act in BL drama series and films. Acting is a artisnal craft, and people who are actors want to perfect their craft. To do this, they need to practice their craft and challenge themselves with a variety of roles. The reasons an actor accepts a role are varied and personal to them. I would not want to stop an actor from developing and practicing his or her craft.
As an audience member, all that I am concerned with is the quality of the performance. The role should go to the actor who can give the best performance of the role. This means I focus on the talents of the actor, not their sexual orientation. An actor should not be discriminated against because of their sexual orientation when applying for roles. This means gay actors should not be prevented from playing straight characters just as much as straight actors should not be prevented from playing gay characters. The focus needs to be on the talents of the individual. There have been many gay actors who have successfully portrayed straight characters and vice versa.
Some people feel that an actor must be a part of a certain community in order to give the best performance for a role, to give it “authenticity.” I don’t think so. Ultimately, acting is about pretending to be someone else. A talented actor can bring their skills, although research is always a part of the actor’s toolkit.

What I do not like is the whole “shipping culture” of Asian entertainment. The so called “fan service.” This marketing play is what causes so much damage to both the actors themselves and the fans. This emotional manipulation of people for $$$ is the true evil. If actors could just be themselves off camera, and be allowed to publicly state things like " I am gay/straight," “I am currently in a relationship.” I have a girlfriend/boyfriend/fiance/fiancee," “So and so is my friend/collegue, but I am not attracted to them.” then 90% of all the stalkings, harassment, hate speech, etc. would disappear. Instead, the greedy entertainment industry forces these actors to keep on pretending and feeds the delulu, leading to the hate speech, the stalking, etc. So much could be avoided if we could just have some honesty. That and not force these celebs to do stuff off the set. Frankly, I find it very brave of actors like Max who risk everything to fight that “Fan service” machine.

5 Likes

I see a huge difference between hetero ships and m/m ships. The fs for hetero ships were always low-key and they don’t really promote together unless they are sponsoring a product together. Very rarely will we see them at an event together unless it’s about their drama.

For m/m ships, I see that the fandoms expect a lot of fs but also get angry when they find out it’s only fs. It’s like they almost believe the actors are dating no matter what and if they’re not, they get so much hate.

For me, I see fs as an extension to their work. I like them and think of them as their character when they are promoting together (whether it’s m/w or m/m).

2 Likes

I was checking MDL and saw this Thai BL drama on the “New Dramas” list. The storyline is very different from the usual BL. The production values look very high from the trailer, and the acting looks good as well. The storyline is more of a melodrama and features an age gap couple. This drama will be available to International fans through Gagaoolala website. This looks to be another Thai series that is looking to push the boundaries of what is acceptable for BL content, just like KinnPorsche earlier this year.
Here is link to English subbed trailer (Click on CC for Eng subs): 180 Degree Longitude Passes Through Us Official Trailer
Here is link to Drama Series at Gagaoolala site: https://www.gagaoolala.com/en/videos/2877/one-hundred-eighty-degree-longitude-passes-through-us-2022-e01

I recently finished, Cherry Blossoms After Winter, and I have to say it’s not the most memorable plot.

Everything was so… quiet. I’m not a fan of the way they filmed it. It was like watching a commercial. If that makes sense. :grin: The setting was so organized. The acting wasn’t bad it was just obviously “acting.” Doesn’t feel natural and smooth.

Probably a good first show if you’ve never seen BL and want to slowly ease into it.

1 Like

would you recommend it? <3 -Luna

If you want to watch a light simple plot, it’s ok.

I personally wouldn’t recommend it as something you have to absolutely watch though.

In relation to BLs, South Korea is in a very different place when compared to Thailand and South Korean stories mostly reflect this.

S. Korea only started producing BL shows fairly recently and, as I see it, they are using these shows to help gay people, and their families, gain acceptance in the country. While being gay is not illegal in S. Korea (except in the military forces), it has been highly frowned upon. For example, most gay people usually remain in the closet for fear of losing their jobs and friends if their circle of acquaintances discover they are gay.

The three links below help give some idea about what it’s like to be gay in S. Korea.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/11/south-korea-struggles-to-contain-new-outbreak-amid-anti-lgbt-backlash

https://www.thechicagocouncil.org/commentary-and-analysis/blogs/south-koreans-becoming-more-accepting-lgbtq-community

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/22/south-koreas-highest-court-overturns-military-convictions-of-two-gay-soldiers

In Cherry Blossoms After Winter, the scene where the mother finds out about her son’s relationship as well as the scene where she ‘talks’ to her deceased friend about the situation, reflect the difficulties of being gay in S. Korea. There is no doubt in my mind that BLs will be of huge assistance with helping LGBTQ+ communities gain acceptance in South Korea.

3 Likes