Bring me a Tissue/Dramas that make you CRY

[quote=“misswillowinlove, post:79, topic:35816”]
(Namgoong Min
[/quote] Awaken
I have not met him yet! I have seen his name many times. I will put The Last Empress on my Watch List but tear-jerkers kill me! Goblin made me BAWL my head off

Yummy

1 Like

NAVILLERA, just finished it. what a drama!!

3 Likes

Song Kang learned ballet for that - these actors are so dedicated.
D.O. Learned tap for Swing Kids
Yoo Ah-In learned piano for Secret Love Affair
Junho learned to work with a Wok & practiced a lot for Wok of Love
such dedication and hard work.

5 Likes

hey great info! I loved it when someone showed what those young people learned on Untamed, I liked info likew that!! thanks Kdrama2020

1 Like

I am sure there are a lot of stars out there busting their butts to learn stuff - especially those FIGHT scenes crazy

2 Likes

bet they had to practice all those moves, and esp preventing them from getting hurt! yeah one drama I was and still amazed ab out is Healer, oh my goodness, him runniung on thosze rooftops!!!

there are other dramas I was amazed about, I am sure they had to learn their moves and all

3 Likes

It’s something I also got from K-dramas…being nice and polite is good, but when you need to stand up and fight, stand up and fight.

3 Likes

if I may AMEN to that one, don’t let them get you down, now a days its called a steel backbone!
stand up and fight!!

2 Likes

Looked up Navillera online and found info on Wikipedia. The premise of the show sounds delightful. Obvs not “Viki-fied” yet since the Viki search function returns zero hits.

Sigh. Pity the poor American-born ajummah. I have come to the end of a loooooong day and am in need of something sweet and gentle to send me off to sleep. And (sniff, whine) I can’t have it. Pout, pout, pout.

So, I have piled yet one more treat on my overloaded late night snack plate; I have started watching episodes of Ballerino from 2014. Have never seen it before. Probably at the time I read the description and thought, oh, no, I can’t watch this; if I do, I’ll cry my eyes out and get a headache and go to work with my eyes all puffy.

I don’t know if I’ll make it through. It’s so well done, with many sweet, funny moments, but it has the feel of being a gully-washer.

It’s quite the, um, genre-bender. It’s got a defection saga, a bromance, a romance, child sex trafficking, chaebol infighting, high society snark-festing and bling-comparing, hardworking average restaurant owner worrying, the willingness to give it all up for family, and fate intervening to keep hope alive at the last moment.

It’s sad being an illiterate ajummah with an drama addiction and no fix, not even a sushi roll from the Taiwanese take-out restaurant hiding in the fridge.

[Edit: sort of cool image removed because I am too technologically challenged to know how to stop it from making oogie noises.]

2 Likes

I loved the idea of Hotel del Luna, but srsly it scared the bleep out of me. Tears? No, but fears you bet. I made it through one and a half episodes. Loved the cast, loved the look, loved the sweet momennts, but it for some reason gave me, as Americans in my part of the U.S. say, “the willies.” Wikipedia says:

I have cats that wake me up in the middle of the night asking for food; I don’t need will-o-the-wisps!

3 Likes

Could you somehow put the video on hold, this sound is really creeping me out? Thank you in advance.

Don’t know how to do that, so I will delete.

1 Like

Well, Ballerino does have me hooked at only two episodes in. And I know I’m going to need more tissues, but crying in sympathy with a character in a K-drama does depend on the character. Since the main character is a young man of quiet dignity whose tears are out of love and not out of anger, I think both my tissue budget and I will survive AND be the better for it.

2 Likes

Your watching this??

Not just watching but soaking it in.

A beautifully done, simple story so far, full of characters who value hard work, family, and the right of all people to be treated with dignity.

2 Likes

Oops. I am seeing that Ballerino is a movie divided into two parts. I assume that is because the movie needed a lot of very careful subbing to help viewers understand how deep it is.

This is another symptom of K-drama addiction: losing the ability to read small print!

2 Likes

Oh - It’s a good Quick Watch we always need those filler shows

Master’s Sun. Oh my gawd the military dog episode. DH and I were both sobbing.

Also there were moments in Once Again when I cried because a scene was so incredibly sweet the tears just came to me.

Both are great shows. And the fact that they can pull such strong emotions from me means they are incredibly well written – and translated.

3 Likes

Just started watching Doom at Your Service. There’s a gusher for you.

I am unfamiliar with the female protagonist, Park Bo Young. She’s pretty feisty and very natural. And I love her sweaters! She has, as the saying goes, some acting chops.

Everything I have seen on DramaFever and Viki with Seo In Guk in it I have enjoyed because he is another one of those actors who, I think, will make the transition from youth to maturity with relatively few problems.

I say relatively few because when you have a small country with a certain kind of culture that has been influencing the behavior and expectations of its populace for a couple thousand years . . . and when the pool of actors and actresses providing entertainment is very small, and competition is extremely fierce, well, the fact that any Korean entertainer has longevity surprises me.

https://www.koreaboo.com/stories/heres-insanely-difficult-journey-seo-in-guk-go-reach-stardom/

The history of Korea means that, wherever you look on the historical timeline, you have parents sacrificing for children, at times willingly dying of starvation so their children might have a chance to survive. Seo Seongsaengnim (and he is a master/role model/teacher to be admired professionally and personally) had motivation as a young actor that almost killed him, it seems to me.

Starving to achieve stardom and win money for his family? Starving in a country where traditional foods that nourish, heal, and prolong life are beyond an obsession? That in itself is cause for buckets o’ tears.

And puzzles me, looking in on Korean culture from the outside. These days, many American actors and actresses make use of intermittent fasting to maintain physical as well as mental good health.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSFinW4Fe4w

Since discovering intermittent fasting about five years ago, I have gone from 220 pounds to 190 on a 5’10" frame, and I eat more than I ever did when I was starving myself (for years).

And just yesterday, I watched an episode of Red Table Talk on Facebook in which Will Smith talks about fasting, that is eating ZERO food, for ten days in order to lose weight. And he noted that, during the ten days when he drank only water, he felt a great deal of mental clarity and physical energy.

https://www.facebook.com/redtabletalk/videos/549708365774998
Red Table Talk: Will Smith’s Emergency Family Meeting

It strikes me as just slightly ironic that, in Korea, which has one of the toughest armies on the planet, and in which Taekwondo seems to be taught to children as soon as they pop out of the birth canal, it is Korean entertainers trying to meld their ancient culture with American influences who end up starving themselves in order to measure up to really arbitrary standards of beauty.

Obviously big stars in idol dramas are going to have a different look and appeal to a different audience than the big stars in family dramas (Be My Happy Family and A Good Supper are both family drama “weepers” that I am currently in love with) but to expect an entertainer to be willing to suffer physical and mental deprivation to make demanding, unreasonable fans happy . . . wow. How is that an expression of “Dan-gyeol!” . . . ?

Imitation is another K-drama I am caught up in, weeping buckets precisely because, in fictionalized form, it exposes the abuse that Seo In Guk Seems to have survived so far.

At any rate, Doom At Your Service has incredible acting, and seems to evoke the mood of such great shows as Rooftop Prince, Coffee Prince, and Dr. Romantic. I had a roll of paper towels by my side for sure during my bingewatching of Dr. Romantic. just a few years ago.

I am definitely hungry for more of Doom At Your Service. :yum:

(from the Ghibli Wiki page)

3 Likes

Thanks for your insight:

I agree! It is so Goblin-esque! And I love Coffee Prince etc. I can’t get DOOM out of my mind! It is the first show to make me crazy in a while! I love Seo In Guk - I cannot get enough
I have already re-watched a lot of the eps of DOOM
Date With DOOM - at your service! And it made me cry from Eps 1

Watch the female lead in - Oh My Ghostess! So Good!

I just wanna feed some of my BABES! But eating healthy and working out is ok - as long as you keep it in check. I do believe Western culture is a bad influence as we are so obese in this country. I work hard at the gym and with a trainer to try to stave that off myself.