Chinese-English-Chinese Subber

Hi there,

I have native-level fluency in both Chinese and English, and can do translation in both ways.

Let me know if you need help.

Cheers!

1 Like

Did you write in this thread as well?

Linking Bozoli’s reply here with further information.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:
Adding to @shraddhasingh’s advice:
I think you’ll be needed more as a Chinese-English subber. So it’s better to go to a cdrama and find the English Moderator(there won’t be a Chinese Moderator because the show is being translated from Chinese->English). She/He might not know Chinese, but will connect you to the Translation Editors(TEs)/subbers who know Chinese😄.

Please add how much time you will be available for and things like that too.

Hope you enjoy your time volunteering!

2 Likes

No, first message here.

Try posting on want to subtitle thread also, so that moderators can contact you.

1 Like

Got it, thanks:-)

Thanks! But how do I find a Cdrama that has not been translated into English yet? Do I have visibility? How should I find such shows?

1 Like

You could message a Moderator and ask if there are any shows that need subtitling or TE-ing.

The other way is to constantly check the Explore Page. It’s the tab right next to the Viki logo on the main website.
Set the Scheduled filters for On Air or Coming Soon dramas.
In the second filter for On-Air dramas, select New.
Find dramas that have just started airing and message the Moderator.

For the Coming Soon ones, choose the dramas you’re interested in working on. Then wait for a Channel Manager and Moderator to be appointed. Once they’re appointed, you can message the Moderator and ask to be included in the subbing team.

You will have to work on a deadline, because Chinese-English is the first translation that happens. So please remember to mention the amount of time per week you can dedicate to subbing/editing. The standard is usually one or two 1-hour episodes per week.

3 Likes

Just as Vivi explained, find a drama you’re interested on. Choosing a drama which you don’t like and as a result leaving it undone is considered rude.

Let’s say you choose A River Runs Through It

Your first step is to find the CE (Chief Editor). Usually, CEs are mentioned on the drama cover pages (those artistic pages right below “Subtitle Team” tab.
Here is the CE for the mentioned drama,
You also need to see whether they are recruiting English subbers or not. In this case, they are.

Next step is to message lazarini. Here is how you send a message. Make sure you have mentioned all the nessacary details in your message.

• Mention name of the drama and the role you want. (For now, opt for Chinese to English subtitler)
  • Your fluency level in Chinese and English.
  • How many days a week/ hours a day you’ll be available.
  • If you’ve any previous translating experience.

This was just an example. You can follow the same procedure on any other coming soon or on-air Chinese dramas.

Just as Vivi mentioned, you need to be available right after the episodes come to Viki. Here is the TV Guide, you can see when episodes of this show will air on site.

For a bit more information, this is NSSA’s guidelines regarding channel roles. Make sure you go through it before starting to avoid any confusion. For now, you should be concerned only with “subtitlers” role. This is NSSA’s subtitling guide. NSSA is an academy run by Viki volunteers to train new volunteers.

3 Likes