Deleted subtitles

Okay, question coming from a blonde: though I’m pretty sure someone already asked this, I’m taking the risk of repeating the question: can one’s subtitles be deleted, like, without a trace? I was volunteer at one drama in the past, and even though I don’t remember how many subtitles I contributed, there must’ve been at least 1000. Now, the number doesn’t bother me. I’m writing solely from curiosity: on what ground can be one’s subtitles deleted? Isn’t it something only the CM can do? And if he/she did, why?
Special note: I had some beef with the Romanian mod there.
Special note 2: the drama was initially fully subtitled, and now only episode 1 is 100%, and episode 2 is at 7% in Romanian…
Can someone help a blonde in distress?..:smiley:

Language moderators can delete subtitles too if I’m not mistaken.
I’ve heard about a similar case like yours.
Subtitles for “Addicted” were deleted at some point due to a bug and there was (still is) a notice on the main page that the team was working to restore them. I was actually working on the Greek subtitles for that drama, months after that happened, and for some reason the final episode had some Greek subtitles even though the rest were pretty much empty. Some segments were also WAY off in the last episode.

1 Like

Nobody except Viki or a CM can delete subs but as you most likely know if a CM wants to delete subs they only can do that per whole episode, they cannot delete subs in any other way. I only delete subs when they are from an abuser who used google translate etc and is the only subber in an episode so nobody elses precious work is deleted. Also I only delete it when the evidence is collected for a report to Viki. If there are more people in one ep I have subbers fix it and ask Viki do do something about the subs.

What could have happened:

• Someone somehow deleted segments that where subbed so all subs where deleted.
  • It was a fanchannel/ relicensed channel where the eps where reuploaded but old segs/subs where not put back on.
  • It was a mistake and the CM didn’t check carefully and deleted your work by accident because there was an abuser in your language/episode?
2 Likes

In addition to what dudie said, your sub could have been deleted due to technical problems, which had happened to some dramas I had worked on before. Viki’s technical team can restore them most of the time, but there were times when we had to manually re-write the subtitles.

1 Like

At this point…I would be submitting a ticket at the help desk and get Kristie and the boffins to help you.

this seems odd - and unless the moderator has ASKED THE CM TO ERASE ALL YOUR WORK (possible but let’s hope that did not happen" then…there is a technical problem and the boffins MAY be able to help.

OH yes. One other way you can tell a CM erased it…your total for the drama actually goes down on your profile.

and a Moderator who is angry probably would lock you out also - I would see if you are still with a “subtitler” credit for this drama on your profile.

Sadly - that’s my best guess - and I am sorry you have this moment to sort out. I Hope it is technical and not…something else.

I have seen whole episodes disappear…segments POOF and yet the subs say 100 percent…technical can be a very wide field.

I hope you find an answer, and one that resolves well. :slight_smile:

Crunchy Dieter Donuts

2 Likes

Thank you everyone for your answers:)
I think it is, as Dudie said, that the channel was a fan channel, and then was reloaded as legal. I’m a little bit confused, though, since I was mod at season 2, and that one came directly licensed:) Not only my subtitles disappeared, all the subtitles in Romanian vanished, except for the first episode, which has Romanian subtitles provided by the moderator. That can also mean she started to sub again, on her own, after the re-uploading of the channel.
My question rose up from the fact that I was going through my projects, and I saw the picture of that drama, the word “subtitler” (I was assigned), but the number indicated 0. That’s all:)
I’m not bothered (not much, at least:)) that the subtitles are gone, since in the previous version, they were anyway massacred by the mighty moderator. Mine, and the the ones of the rest of the team, as well…:slight_smile:
Thanks for enlightening me, and for making me a little more wise^^

1 Like