Do Scandals Affect Your Viewing?

Zhang Zhehan recognized by Screen

Zhao Liying wins in court
2 Likes

Does not affect my viewing. I go by the saying ā€œIf you didnā€™t hear it with your own ears or see it with your own eyes, donā€™t invent it with your small mind and share it with your big mouth.ā€

8 Likes

Screenshot_20210730-145050_Messages

2 Likes

donā€™t believe all you hear, and donā€™t believe all what you see. It really upsets me when these young people get into some sort of scandel, their lives ruined, some have come back which is a good thing, but that ā€œblackā€ spot will b be there for a long time

, the American stars are the same, I think I added that a few months ago about them, but I do try not let it bother me when I watch the dramas, movies and such

, some of those things to me are quite silly, but I know its the culture and all. its their beliefs, I pray about the folks as well. (one is the word of honor guy) would love to see him in another drama. I do wish them all the best .

3 Likes

This is the woman who did nude sex scenes in A Frozen Flower, but now they are scandalizing her over a haircut?? Totally bizarre.

4 Likes

For me, everything is well as long as the drama is well. I tend to stay a thousand miles away from the News, just be enjoy some moments after the tiring studies.

First thing, everyone is busy in their own lives. We get up, do our routine chores, and sleep. If you have a free time, should you not think of spending it in a little bit of comfort rather than tainting your mind? Like seriously, if you enjoy someoneā€™s work, then enjoy it. Why people ought to go into their lives as if they would want their lived to be looked into?

Second thing, we are no civil officers. If someone is guilty of a crime, the system of a country is there to handle it. If the system is working faulty, we can protest against it. Why would we make someone guilty because of what we see on the screen? Are we even in a thousand miles distance with them?

There are distances. It is true the world is a global village. It is both a sad and a lovely reality. However, do we have the right to seek into someoneā€™s life, just because their life is on the screens, through their work? Or do we have the responsibility of doing such a thing?

And, do we have the time to hate some people just because of the media? Scandals? I am flabbergasted at the people, who thing that it a right thing to do, who do such a thing, and those who believe such a thing.

2 Likes

Hi @weavingadream, :raising_hand_woman:t5:ā€ā™€
I agree, and disagree with different parts of your view. :blush: Best in your studies!

1 Like

Honestly Im in a completely other country and never hear one single word of any scandals at all so no they do not effect my viewing anything. And secondly if i were to get wind of some gossip it would be very dependent on what the ā€œscandalā€ was because for me unless its criminal i could careless frankly. People dating and fans getting mad their crushes have a real life is just stupid to me i can not relate to that at all. so yea would have to be a huge deal for it to effect what i watch and probably on an international level to boot

3 Likes

Those are indeed improperly called ā€œscandalsā€ in Korea but usually donā€™t ruin oneā€™s career. They may cause loss of revenue (because the fans stop buying merchandise), but they donā€™t tarnish oneā€™s reputation per se.
The ones you -usually- canā€™t get back from (although there have been exceptions!) are:

• Using drugs (drugs are illegal in Korea),
  • drunk driving,
  • cheating to avoid military service,
  • cheating to get into university,
  • insider trading of stocks (many artist agencies give stocks to their artists),
  • having sex with prostitutes in bathrooms of hostess bars (I remind you that prostitution is illegal in Korea - yes, what a joke!)
  • having sex with underage prostitutes at home
  • beating up black and blue oneā€™s girlfriend who is pregnant
  • revelations about bullying in school years
  • filming with hidden cameras drugged women and circulating the videos online to friends in chat roomsā€¦

Itā€™s things like that which do the most damage and people have great trouble recovering from them.

See a recent example:
https://www.soompi.com/article/1564892wpp/song-duk-ho-apologizes-for-military-enlistment-evasion-controversy-steps-down-from-upcoming-drama

5 Likes

JI SOO lost the definition case against the person who said that he was bullied by him in school . because he took accountability. even though the person said he lied and did it out of jealousy.

2 Likes
  • gambling
  • hit-and-run driving
  • abuse of oneā€™s position, blackmail (like the shady thing they did with young actresses and ā€¦ shudder)
  • suicide

P.S. forgot another huge sin in SK - tax evasion

5 Likes

Youā€™re right!

5 Likes

This is disheartening to me. Wasnā€™t the bulllying accusation was when he was in middle school? I heard he made people get him water, and a few other things during the show by what was stated on some sites. Iā€™m not sure why they wouldnā€™t offer him water before he had to ask for it. It was his first male lead in that show and I was really looking forward to it, as he is an excellent actorā€¦and when they replaced him I wouldnā€™t watch it anymore. I give credit to the other actors on shows but something tell me, part of the problem he had was the crew on that show. I hope someone signs him up soon, I am looking forward to seeing him in future shows.

2 Likes

Come on!
First of all it wonā€™t be only water. Bullies usually have what they call ā€œshuttlesā€. Something like personal servants. They stay comfortably in class and the ā€œshuttleā€ goes running to the canteen, waits in a cue, and then brings them sandwiches, water, flavored milk or whatever snacks.
And typically a bully doesnā€™t only do that, but often makes the ā€œsubordinatesā€ pay with their own money as well - for him and often also for his cronies. And in some cases thereā€™s violence involved, or threat of violence. Surely psychological abuse, insults, making the other person feel like a pariah, someone worthless to be ridiculed.

3 Likes

And you know for a fact he bullied people on set because he allegedly bullied in middle school? Iā€™m curious here, why is it when he now has his first leading role heā€™s a bully? Heā€™s made other movies, why now? Heā€™s finally at the top and now heā€™s called a bully because of what some school mate said happened years ago, and then someone on the set stated that he bullied there too. Why is it, that managers always have people do apologies, public or written when in fact itā€™s something that happened years ago. Asking someone to get water is bullying? You know personally that he made the crew his servants? He was accused of bullying in middle school wasnā€™t he? Should we all be accused of things we did in middle school, and ignore the growth and accomplishments we have had since becoming an adult? If you are going to label him a bully please specify what HE actually did, not what he was accused of in middle school, then someone jumped the bandwagon and said ā€œyea he bullies on set tooā€. Requesting water and sandwiches is hardly bullying. You know how many people get mad at poor service in restaurants, hotels, etc, are they all bullies to you because they complained? And we donā€™t even know if that actually happened on set.

1 Like

I donā€™t know anything for a fact (and I didnā€™t speak of the movie set at all!). Neither of us here was present at the time. There were people accusing him, but of course itā€™s their word against his. If he were innocent, he wouldnā€™t have apologized, I think.
We are not in a position to know whether someone has changed since their teen years, maybe yes, maybe no, maybe just a little. So let me turn the same question on you: how do you know whether he sincerely reflected on his actions (if he committed them) and changed, and had personal growth? Again, maybe yes, maybe no. Some people donā€™t change their basic tendencies with age.
Frankly, the norm is that people donā€™t change that much. All my school and youth friends whom I still keep in touch with, are just more mature versions of themselves (and weā€™re in our 60s); yes, they wonā€™t do reckless things anymore, they have surely sobered up, but their basic character is exactly the same.

3 Likes

I canā€™t agree with this, Korean celebrities apologize for every little thing, It seems many are told to do so whether they are guilty or not. Because guilt doesnā€™t mean anything once a scandal breaks out, their career can be ruined even if they did nothing wrong.

5 Likes

Yes, but one has to read the wording carefully (allowances made for maybe imperfect translation).
Itā€™s a different thing to say ā€œIā€™m very sorry for causing concern to my fansā€ and ā€œIā€™m sorry for my past actions, I was immature thenā€.
(just made-up phrases that I remember from different scandals, Iā€™m not referring to anyone in particular)

3 Likes

Exactly, we both do not have access to what actually happened on set or in middle school. But again, why now, he did other movies, but he gets a leading role and now itā€™s brought up? That sounds suspicious to me. I still do not understand why managers have their stars apologize ASAP without it being investigated and litigated, isnā€™t that like someone admitting to a crime before they have a chance to vindicate themselves. And hereā€™s something else to ponder, what if he apologized because he wondered if he did hurt someone unknowingly in middle school and it affected someone. Again we donā€™t know the facts. I read what you said about your friends, and you would be the only one to know that for a fact and I donā€™t doubt you or disbelieve you. But hereā€™s a question to you, if a kid (middle school age) and lets say he got into a fight verbal or otherwise, and heā€™s raised by good people do you think he/she will grow up being a bad adult? What if a kid punches a kid and the other kid defends himself, but is made to be the instigator. So many scenerios. None of us were always perfect in schools, kindergarten, middle school, high school, or college. The competition in sports, grades, looks, etc, the list is so long. And again I heard that the accuser admitted to lying about it, or did I hear wrong? I like this actor and I was really happy to hear he got a leading role. I think someone saying ā€œhe made me get water for himā€, and oh by the way, did you hear he bullied someone in middle school (without it being thoroughly investigated) isnā€™t a good enough reason to be replaced. Heā€™s a well known actor and again has played in other roles. I look forward to seeing him act again and I hope heā€™s given the chance.

2 Likes

I havent kept up dated on this, I was going to watch Lie to me and my curiosity kicked in, havent seen that guy in quite awhile, where is he? wow eye opener for sure!!

I just didnā€™t hear about this one.

and as much as I like watching him ? honestly I donā€™t know if I can really watch him!! with that what he did?? and so many actors & actresses? bullying?? and other stuff? eye opener for sure!