1 medium onion, sliced and separated into rings
3 medium tomatoes, cut into wedges
1/2 cup vinegar
1/4 cup sugar
1 cup water
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon fresh coarse ground black pepper
1/4 cup oil
1 teaspoon chopped fresh mint (optional)

Directions:

1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl.
  2. Toss well to mix.
  3. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
1 Like

? Why is it milky looking? cheese? I would try it with lemon and olive oil. :upside_down_face:

Oh! I… uh… yea. My eyes are just too big sometimes! Got my TAX REFUND today! SO, I ordered a sushi platter to go… thinking it was about two rolls worth. about $10 bucks each tray… uh … NOPE! It is like 6 trays worth of sushi! Good thing I am hungry but that is just going to be challenging to eat. Sushi does not keep. :laughing: and, “Thou Shalt NOT ever waste sushi!” :smirk: :laughing:

I’ll get back to you after I die and recover from a food coma.

Yea, who woulda thunk! Here in podunk Idaho, they have some really good sushi places! Aren’t fresh seafood airplane deliveries a wonderful invention?!

1 Like

enjoy!

2 Likes

ok spring time, this is from the people that make/baske those fantastic cakes and such

2 Likes

Gosh. It’s almost criminal to eat those! They are so pretty!

Well, yesterday I had DELICOUS steamed salmon with lemons, and multigrain rice.

Today, I just was not hungry enough to cook anything so I heated up a freebie tv dinner that Humana sent to me. Yea, they called one day to have me try out a home delivered meal service. Since it was free, I said, sure. Very strange entre today… ‘Mexican style’ macaroni and cheese…

It was spiral macaroni, lots of velveeta, very yellow cheese with a dollop of hamburger in the center - flavored with cumin. The vegetables were supposedly Mexican inspired mixed corn, beans and I think that was supposed to be a pepper… Anyway, It was bland #1.

It was ‘ok’ I guess Americans might think that was Mexican food. (Like hell it was! :laughing: )
I took 3 lactaids so I could eat that dinner and I am still getting the belly grumps… :smirk:

hmm… yea. it’s food. Better than some institutional food. but bland # 1 and here I was raised on HOT, SPICY foods. I’ll probably suffer with bland food when I end up in rehab after my knee replacement. BUT! If I can jump up and dance again it will be WORTH IT! Bonus! I’ll drop some of this manteca! :laughing:

1 Like

Oh! I just remembered ow to make a DELICIOUS soup from the Philippines!

It’s chicken, petchai and green papaya!
Boil up the chicken with diced ginger and garlic.
add sliced green papayas. (Green - NOT RIPE!)
add petchai leaves near the end.
salt and pepper to taste.

Eat that with a bowl of rice and you are SET!

I would make that except I can’t get petchai leaves or green papayas here. :slightly_frowning_face: And I have no idea how to spell petchai leaves properly. It may be a Pangasinan word.

Oh! Hey! I went to google petchai leaves and found the recipe! (So petchai is Pangasinan word or one of the nearby dialects)

Oh! and Pinakbet! YUM!

Sinigang YUM!

Oh! and a really tasty version of menudo!
It’s tripe, liver and heart boiled up with tamarind, cane vinegar, garlic, onions, salt pepper, patis (fish sauce). a sliced chili. serve with rice.
Hmm. I can make that one. I can get all those ingredients here.

1 Like

they all sound delicious1 now to find that stuff you mentioned, wonder if the asian market has them?

The Asian markets here don’t have fresh produce. Just canned stuff, frozen foods and dry goods. The market here is not large enough to support fresh produce from Asia.

1 Like

ok so probably the same here too

1 Like

so warm weather(???) is coming upon us. thought I would share this one

INGREDIENTS

1 can(s)pineapple chunks, in their own juice

1 can(s)mandarin oranges, drained

1 bunchgreen grapes, halved

2bananas

1 pkgstrawberries, sliced however you want

1 boxsmall box of vanilla instant pudding (jell-o brand only – others just don’t taste right)

1you can also add other fruits that you like to this as you please

DIRECTIONS

1Pour the pineapple, juice and all into a bowl. Add the pudding mix and stir until creamy. Stir in the DRAINED mandarin oranges. Add additional fruit and stir in completely until covered and creamy.

2Refrigerate the salad for a while until it is nice and chilled. Don’t let it sit to long or the banana’s will turn brown. You can also serve right after making this without chilling. Personally, it is much better chiled
wonder how good it would be to put the other country fruits in there?? if anyone does try it do let me know!

I would leave out the bananas until after the salad has set, then slice those up and mix them in right before serving. :smiley:

1 Like

think that would be a good idea

I went to get Thai food today and nearby is … WAAA!! The BEST Chinese food place in town CLOSED when I wasn’t looking! :cry: Steve retired!

Well… that’s only fair… I retired too. :joy:

DARN! He had food that actually tasted like the real thing, not that watered down stuff made for Americans. AND you could ask for secret menu items. I always asked for wor won ton with squid. The first time I ordered that he had to come out to see who was ordering that. :laughing: He told me they didn’t put squid in their wor won ton soup because Americans generally don’t like squid… That’s when I told him I was from San Francisco. I knew he had squid on the menu and asked him to put some in and that I’d pay extra for it. So there is a secret menu if you know what to ask for. I shoulda asked him for chicken feet just to see his reaction! :laughing:

There are other restaurants in town. Their food is meh. not bad, it will fill you and the locals love them but they don’t know any better. sigh No more Szechuan or Cantonese places in town! The other places have generic Chinese/American menu items. Sweet and sour pork, fried rice, and a local thing called General Tso’s chicken. That dish is popular all over Idaho and Wyoming. I’d never heard of that in San Francisco, but then again, I was upstairs eating chicken feet. :joy:

But I am spoiled. for REAL food from San Francisco. Like upstairs, above the tourist restaurant, where no one speaks English and the staff push around carts with whatever dish the cooks made. See something you like and get a plate. The braised and fried chicken feet, served with the foot upwards in the center of a small bowl of rice is just cute. :grin: They are very good. When you are done, they add up the price of the plates. WATCH OUT! Those dishes add up! :joy: We used to go there for lunch with our accountant who spoke Mandarin. :slightly_smiling_face:

Oh! I just remembered! Great Wall! It’s a hole in the wall place with a limited menu. Most people order from the buffet but they will cook up stuff a la cart. Every once in a wall, he’ll have bao but no char siu bao! Man! I LOVE char siu bao! Imma hafta go make my own and since I live alone, I get to eat ALL OF IT. :laughing: (Need a stuffed piggie emoji)

Oh! There is a new SUSHI restaurant in that spot now.
https://tokyobellypocatello.com/
Sushi is popular here. Maybe because of the University. They have tako (octopus) and unagi(eel) on the menu! Hard to find those two items here. I’ll try them out tomorrow! (Still have my tax refund burning a hole in my pocket!) :rofl: but not for long if I DARE to sit in that sushi restaurant rather than ordering takeout.

Oh! I was going to talk about my Thai menu today and got distracted! - Look! SQUIRREL! :rofl:
http://www.thaikitchenpoky.com/menu/
Squid salad
Golden tofu
calamari strips
Tom Yum seafood.

When I got home, I realized they didn’t send any rice with that order! Oh well. I can cook my own.

Ok… Off to eat delicious food! (That squid salad is calling me)

I REALLY like seafood. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

and y’know a lot of people stick their noses up at chicken feet, when I was younger I thoughjt they were good, and with rice or pastry! now not able to find them. squirrel?? wow thats an old oner for me, how about rabbit?

2 Likes

Oooo! LOVE mesquite smoked rabbit with a bowl of corn mush on the side!
One of the best camp breakfasts is menudo and corn mush.

I’m indecisive today.

Do I want to go ‘sit down’ all by myself at Tokyo Belly? or just get take out? If I eat in, I KNOW I’ll spend too much money on nigiri! :rofl: That tako and unagi is calling me… :laughing:

Whereas takeout, I’ll have to decide what to order and that’s it. :smirk:

haaaa :rofl:

The thing about Japanese cuisine is presentation and moderation.. :smirk:
(moderation - what’s that?) :laughing:

but the barbarian in me LOVES to be a piggie when it comes to sushi. :rofl:

OK. I will behave and practice moderation! :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

1 Like

4 - 6 HOURS? How strange! I cook that in a wok in about 5 minutes. :smile:

But I never got into slow cookers. My main problem is I don’t know how to cook for 1 person - grew up in a big family and there were always extra people eating over.

My frends say, "Yea, pout that on when you go to work and you come home and it’s ready to eat! The one time I tried to cook a stew and went to work, I came home to find a mess - the pot had boiled over. Yea, that was the last time I ever left cooking unattended. :wink:

Mary, that looks to me like a calories bomb :laughing: everywhere sugar… I like banana bread and I always cut in sugar but add an egg…

Something lightweight and tasty, a Swiss Apple Tart all from scratch. I use just the regular dough and it’s 5 to 6 Tblsp water, I first start to work it with a fork and then with hand palms rubbing the flour with butter together, it looks a bit like sand afterwards add the water and work like a regular dough, once it makes a nice dough cover it and place in fridge for 30 min at least.
You can replace starch with flour for the custard, I use only 2 eggs and milk and a bit of sugar. Also I bake the tart with apples first for 15-20 min depending on size and then add the custard to bake the remaining 15-20 min.
You can google for more Swiss Apple Tart recipes…

2 Likes

simi11, yeah it is, and no I am not eating it, not goos for me, but I seen it and thought some of these “younguns” wou;d like a treat. yes I’d rather have the apple tart!

1 Like