Do you cook?

Got my tax refund! Am going to order takeout from the new Tokyo Belly sushi place!

squid salad
gyoza
seaweed salad (for later)
They have stuff the other places dont’! Tako! Unagi! Inari! YUM!
nd something called a green delight roll… (Tuna, Salmon, Cucumber Top With 4 Kind Of Fish, Avocado, Thin Slices Lime And Jalapeno, Wasabi Sauce, Green Tobiko)

ok… so I will be broke! but happy! :sunglasses:

Nom Nom! YUM! This unagi bowl is DELICIOUS! nom nom nom…

1 Like

all right just pace yourself!!

1 Like

I don’t know if I should put this on here or the "history one but here goes anyway, this is a good read. I also learned something too

https://www.makesauerkraut.com/sauerkraut-facts

Sauerkraut called in polish “kapusta kiszona”.

I have read this and has recipes for both Kimchi and sauerkraut. fascinating reading

3 Likes

I dunno about sauerkraut. The first time someone was eating that and wanted me to try it - straight out of a can/ STINKY! and SUPER SALTY! BLAGH! Smelled like rotten brine. uh, no. Pass. I don’t know how people can eat stuff that salty! That will blow your blood pressure right out your ears if you eat too much of it.

There aren’t any Korean restaurants in town so I’ve never tasted kimchi. I have no opinion on it.

1 Like

Have you guys ever used Duck Eggs instead of Chicken Eggs in baked goods. SO MUCH BETTER and RICHER. I use them if I can get my hands on them and I have a farm now I can get them easy! Just made cinnamon streusel bread. Oh Yum

2 Likes

Sauerkraut in GERMANY is SO Good! I did not like it until I had it on my trip over there

I like Kimchi! I do have restaurants around but I want my Korean friend to make me some.

3 Likes

I had once a dozen of duck eggs from a farm, I fried them, didn’t think to bake with them, they were big and a bit different. I haven’t seen them in Switzerland. But it would be a great alternative!

As far as kimchi goes I make it occasionally myself and share some with my son, I add a heap of it to my green salad and it gives a nice healthy kick! My first kimchi was with maangchi lady some 10 years ago :wink: I thought it was weird since I added broccoli to it, lol (don’t ask). I made Sauerkraut too, but I find it more trickier than kimchi, I had a few that I had to throw away, because it turned rancid.

2 Likes

the duck eggs are richer than the chicken eggs, been a long time since I have had one.

1 Like

It is amazing, it is almost like adding butter to your recipe when you use duck eggs. Just makes the bake good Richer somehow!

2 Likes

W.W. pancakes (weight watchers)

Ingredients:

3/4 cup milk

2 tablespoons white vinegar (see note)

1 cup all-purpose flour

2 tablespoons white sugar (I used 3)

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 egg

2 tablespoons melted butter

1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:

Combine the milk and vinegar in a small bowl for 10 minutes to “sour”. This is an important step and it is called “soured milk” which is much different that sour milk. I guarantee you will NOT taste the vinegar in the final product. Set aside.

Combine the dry ingredients in a bowl. In a smaller bowl, whisk the soured milk, egg, vanilla, and melted butter together. Pour into the dry ingredients and whisk until most of the lumps are gone, but DO NOT OVER BEAT!!

The batter will be thick, don’t add any more liquid. LET THE BATTER SIT UNDISTURBED FOR TEN MINUTES!!

After 10 minutes, you will see bubbles in the batter, very important DO NOT STIR AGAIN.

GENTLY dip out (don’t pour out) 1/2 cup of batter and place it on a buttered grill or frying pan. Cook until bubbles appear on the surface of the pancake and then flip with a spatula and brown the other side.

1 Like

I plan to try it this week, the pancake one

here is another good one

Quick & Easy Salmon Patties

Salmon patties you can make in less than 20 minutes from common ingredients you probably have in your pantry and fridge.

PREP TIME10 MINS

COOK TIME5 MINS

TOTAL TIME15 MINS

Servings: 4

Calories: 213

Author: Martha McKinnon | Simple Nourished Living

Ingredients

• ▢1 can (14 to 15 ounces) salmon, drained well and picked over for skin and bones
  • ▢2 green onions, chopped
  • ▢1 celery stalk, chopped
  • ▢1/4 cup horseradish sauce (I made my own by combining 1 heaping tablespoon prepared horseradish and 3 heaping tablespoons light mayonnaise)
  • ▢1/4 cup plain dried breadcrumbs (gluten-free, if necessary)
  • ▢2 teaspoons canola oil

Instructions

• In a medium bowl, stir together the salmon, green onion, celery, horseradish sauce and bread crumbs.

• Shape the salmon patties into 4 (3-1/2-inch) round patties.

• In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat until hot.

• Add the patties to the skillet and cook until golden, 2-3 minutes. Flip and cook until golden and heated through 2 to 3 minutes more.

• Serve warm.

Recipe Notes

You could make these several hours or a day ahead and then place them on a plate, cover with plastic and refrigerate until ready to cook. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes longer so they heat through. Serving size: 1 salmon patty5 *SmartPoints (Green plan)3 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)6 *PointsPlus (Old plan)

Nutrition Facts

Quick & Easy Salmon Patties

Amount Per Serving (1 salmon patty)

Calories 213Calories from Fat 108

% Daily Value*

Fat 12g 18%

Carbohydrates 7g 2%

Fiber 1g 4%

Protein 20g 40%

• Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
1 Like

These are so good. Of course, I use regular cream cheese but they are still not bad for you!

2 Likes

(Chili rellenos)

2 Likes

that does sound good!!

1 Like

I lived in NM for 15 years! I make the best New Mexican food. Most people don’t realize that New Mexican food is not Tex Mex and it is not Mexican.

New Mexican food is it’s own cuisine I feel like with Navajo elements.

I make enchiladas, stuffed sopapillas, tamales, stuffed pablanos, rellenos, breakfast burritos and on and on. I have frozen REAL NM green chile sent to me from a friend who roasts it. No canned for me!

They are really good just use the real stuff

2 Likes

Hatch chili? YUM! The best! I can get roasted Hatch chilis frozen and fresh here.

Send me some tamales con pollo! (need a hungry bib wearing emoji) :cut_of_meat: :plate_with_cutlery:

2 Likes

Making tamales by hand is a PAIN but they are so good. I usually do smoked pork and some kind of chicken inside. Chorizo is always good anytime too.

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of the ‘pain’ involved in home made tamales but there is nothing better!

I LOVE Puerto Rican Pasteles but I can’t get the GREEN bananas and platanos here otherwise I’d make them myself.

2 Likes

ok how about this one then

#2 Carrot Gooey Cake

Each bite is filled with a little spice from the carrot cake, a little crunch from the walnuts, and a fruity burst from the pineapple, all wrapped up into a deliciously gooey cake!

Prep Time10 mins

Cook Time45 mins

Total Time55 mins

Course: Dessert

Cuisine: American

Servings: 12

Calories: 560 kcal

Author: Shawn

Ingredients

For the Crust

• 1 box carrot cake mix
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted

For the Top Layer

• 8 oz cream cheese, softened
  • 1/2 cup butter, melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 16 oz powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup walnuts
  • 1/2 cup pineapple, drained
  • whip cream, optional

Instructions

• Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

For the Crust:

• In a medium size bowl combine 1/2 cup melted butter with the cake mix and egg. Stir to combine and press the dough into a lightly greased 9x13 cake pan. Set aside.

For the Top Layer:

• In the bowl of your stand mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth, then add the melted butter and continue to beat.

• Add eggs one at a time, while still mixing. Add vanilla and powdered sugar and whip until smooth, scraping down the sides of the bowl to get it all incorporated.

• Fold the walnuts and pineapple into the cream cheese mixture with a spoon, then spread out evenly on top of the crust.

• Bake for 40-45 minutes, the center should still be slightly gooey (hence - gooey cake). Remove from even and let cool.

• Dust the top with powdered sugar, and a dollop of whip cream if desired. Enjoy!

Nutrition

Calories: 560kcal | Carbohydrates: 75g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Cholesterol: 102mg | Sodium: 511mg | Potassium: 97mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 57g | Vitamin A: 786IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 1mg

2 Likes

now back to weight watchers

Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken and Potatoes

This slow cooker lemon chicken and potatoes is just as delicious and even easier than when baked in the oven.

PREP TIME20 MINS

COOK TIME6 HRS

TOTAL TIME6 HRS 20 MINS

Servings (adjustable):

Calories: 347

Author: Martha McKinnon | Simple Nourished Living

Ingredients

• ▢4 medium red potatoes, cut into wedges
  • ▢Salt and freshly ground pepper
  • ▢4 chicken thighs (5 to 6 ounces each), skin removed
  • ▢1 cup thinly sliced onions
  • ▢3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
  • ▢2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • ▢1/4 cup dry white wine
  • ▢1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
  • ▢1 medium lemon, sliced and seeded

Instructions

• Ideal Slow Cooker Size: 4- to 5-Quart

• Place the potatoes in the slow cooker and season liberally with salt and pepper.

• Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle with salt and pepper.

• Place the seasoned chicken on top of the potatoes.

• Place the onions, garlic and oregano in a microwave safe bowl and microwave, stirring occasionally, until the onions are softened, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the wine and lemon juice and pour the mixture over the chicken and potatoes.

• Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours. Add the lemon slices, tucking them in and around the chicken and cook for 1 hour more, or until the potatoes and chicken are tender.

• Serve with your favorite colorful vegetables, such as carrots, green beans, broccoli or asparagus.

Recipe Notes

Serving size: 1/4th of recipe8 *SmartPoints (Green plan)8 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)3 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)8 *PointsPlus (Old plan)(For Simply Filling substitute chicken broth for white wine.)

Nutrition Facts

Slow Cooker Lemon Chicken and Potatoes

Amount Per Serving (1 /4th of recipe)

Calories 347Calories from Fat 49

% Daily Value*

Fat 5.4g 8%

Carbohydrates 37.4g 12%

Fiber 5.9g 24%

Protein 31.3g 63%

Course: Main Course

Cuisine: American

Keyword: crock pot lemon chicken, one-dish lemon chicken

Skinny No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Dessert Parfaits Recipe

Looking for an easy, delicious, no-bake dessert recipe that will please Weight Watchers and non-Weight Watchers alike? Look no further than these light and delicious no-bake strawberry cheesecake parfaits, which were a big hit when I took them to dinner with friends recently.

PREP TIME30 MINS

TOTAL TIME30 MINS

Servings (adjustable):

Calories: 188

Author: Martha | Simple Nourished Living

Ingredients

• ▢2 pounds strawberries, stemmed and sliced
  • ▢1 tablespoon sugar
  • ▢8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
  • ▢1/2 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
  • ▢1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • ▢1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
  • ▢1-1/2 cups frozen non-fat whipped topping, thawed, divided
  • ▢2/3 cup graham cracker crumbs

Instructions

• In bowl, sprinkle the stemmed and sliced strawberries with sugar. Gently toss to combine and set aside while you make the “cheesecake cream.”

• In mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, yogurt, and confectioners sugar until smooth. Gently stir in 1/2 cup whipped topping.

• To assemble parfaits, divide the ingredients among 8 dishes or glasses. Layer graham cracker crumbs, cream cheese filling, and strawberries.

• Repeat layers and end with a dollop of whipped topping.

Recipe Notes

7 *SmartPoints (Green plan)7 *SmartPoints (Blue plan)7 *SmartPoints (Purple plan)5 *PointsPlus (Old plan)

Nutrition Facts

Skinny No-Bake Strawberry Cheesecake Dessert Parfaits Recipe

Amount Per Serving (1 strawberry parfait)

Calories 188Calories from Fat 63

% Daily Value*

Fat 7g 11%

Carbohydrates 25g 8%

Fiber 1g 4%

Protein 6g 12%

2 Likes