Do you cook?

Wahahaha! :rofl:
I’m a vegetarian but even I wouldn’t say things like that.

3 Likes

That’s new to me bc in my culture octopus salad is for the well to do $$$$(wealthy) bc the octopus is very expensive to buy in my island. I haven’t had that salad in many years but is healthy and tasty so i wanted to share it here.

2 Likes

Yea, I am originally from the San Francisco Bay Area and seafood is readily available but there are way too many very militant vegans who don’t hesitant to castigate people who do not conform to their dietary religion. Seattle has their share of militant vegans also. and ‘militant’ is the correct term. They will chop you off at the knees. It is their missionary goal to eradicate animals as food sources and they are not shy when it comes to ‘educating’ their victims.

If I was up for a fight I’d just tell them, “Hey, human beings did NOT become smart by eating grass. We are not cows. We are omnivores which means we need PROTEIN with our veggies.” but then I’d have a knock down drag out fight with them and I am just too old for that kind of fun nowadays. Every once in awhile the news hits that child protective services were called (Again sigh) because some ill-informed vegans were not feeding their children nutritionally sound diets necessary for good growth. Their poor kids…

3 Likes

True, it’s not needed at all. My husband is lactose intolerant too. He does like lattes though, but with oat, soy, almond or cashew milk :slight_smile: I always find myself making them for him (the “milk,” not the latte) :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Making the milk? I usually get my rice milk, soy milk, etc. at the supermarket … how do you make them?

3 Likes

Let me start with the easiest:

Nut milks & seed milk.

You soak the nuts / seeds for 2.5 - 4 hours, skin them if you want to or leave them on, and blend them with water. A ratio of 1:4 nuts/seeds to water is a good starting point. You can strain this with a nut milk bag or several cheese cloths or anything else you have. I have a high powered blender, so it’s easy to blend everything, but if you notice that your blender isn’t blending everything, blend it for longer.

Soy Milk:
Just watch the video and skip the tofu step :slight_smile: I always have soaked soybeans in my freezer, I just love making this.

Grain milk

Same as with the nuts, but you can skip soaking them if you are in a hurry. I do recommend it though.
You can choose to cook the milks or not. I like my oat milk raw, but my rice milk cooked. Strain and use :smile:

Oh, I found a video:

You can also combine things - I love the combo sesame, oat & rice
If you want to use it for foams and such, you need to add oil and a binder to the milk, just like they do to the packaged ones :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Cool! :sunglasses: Thank you very much! :smiley:

1 Like

condensed milk is creamier, and flavor is good too, add sugar & cinnamon what a flavor, try lemon if you don’t like cinnamon. or like one of you said, honey is a treat!

Kimchi is something you have to get used to. I will stick to sauerkraut. I understand you can make any kind of veggie for kimchi cucumber,
radish, beets, cabbage, (oops thats kimchi) bell peppers and others, too many to name, and I do like that

note about making tea, looseleaf, or the bags, after boiling You put in a container, add a pinch of soda and it will make it strong, which includes the green tea. I’d rather put milk in my different teas thanmilk in coke or Pepsi

also try putting condensed milk in tea instead of normal milk and sugar, you won’t be disappointed.
products! Yes, I usually drink my tea plain, and black. roasted rice? that’s a new one

sorry I don’t think I have eaten an octopus, is it like squid? that person was flat rude! I will try anything once, and you can just leave the bat soup out!

3 Likes

Would it also work with (unsoaked) canned beans?

1 Like

Not sure, but I’m inclined to say no. Most of the people on the blogs / in the videos start from scratch, from soaking dried beans :blush:

1 Like

Yes, pretty much any Mexican food.

2 Likes

I’m making steak Fajitas, homemade salsa, guacamole, along with Spanish rice for dinner tonight! Luckily there’s plenty of cilantro in my herb garden. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

chinese orange c hicken going to give this a try

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1-inch chunks
  • 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
  • 2 large eggs, beaten
  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon sesame seeds
  • 1 green onion, thinly sliced

FOR THE MARINADE

• 1 cup chicken broth
  • 1/2 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha, or more, to taste
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon white pepper

DIRECTIONS:

1. To make the marinade, whisk together chicken broth, orange juice, sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, orange zest, Sriracha, ginger and white pepper in a large bowl.
  2. In a gallon size Ziploc bag or large bowl, combine chicken and 2/3 cup of the marinade; marinate for at least 30 minutes, turning the bag occasionally. Drain the chicken from the marinade, discarding the marinade.
  3. Heat remaining marinade in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil and stir in 2 tablespoons cornstarch combined with 2 tablespoons water. Cook, stirring frequently, until thickened about 1-2 minutes; keep warm.
  4. Working one at a time, dip the chicken into the eggs, then dredge in remaining 1 cup cornstarch, pressing to coat.
  5. Heat vegetable oil in a large saucepan. Working in batches, add chicken and fry until golden brown and cooked through, about 1-2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate; discard excess oil.
  6. Serve chicken immediately, tossed or drizzled with the marinade, garnished with sesame seeds and green onion, if desired.

Adapted from Cooking Classy

2 Likes

anyone ever make salmon cakes?

another cake;

2 Likes

Not me. I’m a vegetarian. :slight_smile:

Gorgeous cake!!!

1 Like

6 Likes

OMG a Kitkat piano cake. This is cool!

2 Likes

4 Likes