Do you have plants? If yes which one and how do you care it for?

I have now 3 succulents, I’ll take a pic later. I kept mom’s “Mother in law’s tongue” Dracaena trifasciata and split it with my son… mine is in a nice sunny place but not direct sun on top of a furniture. It grew many babies and last week when I watered it I turned it around and I see the blooms, it’s so pretty! I has clear like honey drops, perhaps to attract pollinators.

6 Likes

um, what do you think??

4 Likes

I found a link to propigate plants, and water at that, from pothos, to spider plants. very interesting

2 Likes

I have orchids, roses, petunias, sunflowers, hibiscus, and a few others. Sadly my orchids died. My dad is a landscaper so he is the one that takes care of them… But after my orchids died I bought a bunch of fake plants🥺

4 Likes

our laugh for the day

4 Likes

I was yesterday at a garden center and saw these glass jars with succulents and moss but with a cover so the water was transpiring and created a fog.

I had my mom’s glass bowl in a shape of a big vine glass and played with the idea for a while to fill it. So I bought a small plant, a cactus, pebbles and sterilized potting soil. I got some moss from the near forest. - The succulent babies are from my own plant I think it’s called spider aloe.

So now I wonder how it will grow. I won’t water it for a while since the soil is wet, just spraying will do the work I think.

5 Likes

I am planning to get some outside plants in a few weeks, I have a bare spot that needs some TLC, as for my indoor plants, may be getting a few more too,

oh and btw, does anyone know how to take care of a Dumb cane? mine is getting so big, and yes I know its poisoneous, the sap anyway, and can I plant it outside?

I am going to see if I can do that hydroponics with them too

I want to propagate peace lilies,

I plan to put mine in water, thats what one link said, also youtube has something on them. and hydroponics as well, most of our plants we do have can be planted in water and they do grow

1 Like

@frustratedwriter I put my little olive tree couple weeks ago in small greenhouse, I wrapped the pot in a bubble wrap and have a thermometer there… we had lots of rain and was chilly so put a blanket over, lol, and yesterday I put on the exposed sides to wind bubble wrap. I read it can overwinter with 5-10 Celcius. (40-50F)
I wrapped also the pots of hibiscus and on top the vlies and my lemon tree is inside but we didn’t have much sun except today… I’m still hoping the lemons will ripe.
My strawberries still produce a little fruit… I took it inside but today it warmed up so out again… Basil is inside… I wonder how it will fare as it still needs lots of light I think.

I killed my tomato plant on the balcony although it still produced flowers, but when it rains I have to put down the sun shade and it limits light and it’s going to be cold anyway… I put the remaining green tomatoes in a brown bag, I was told it helps to ripe them… we’ll see.

I still have Napa cabbage growing in garden bed and spinach and beans… have to check how it looks today as we have a bit of hail on Monday.

Mary, you can plant onions and garlic if you have the right bulbs (fall planting) they don’t mind the cold and harvest in spring :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I did that yesterday :blush:

4 Likes

thats what I want to do as well, am I too late to plant them??

1 Like

I don’t think so, October is good as well just read the link I posted. I planted the onion bulbs and the garlic cloves last week.
They do not like each other tough! Meaning do not plant them together… in same container…

When planting a fall crop of garlic or onions, timing is everything. For both vegetables, that means planting to allow six to eight weeks of growth before the cold of winter sets in.

1 Like

I have noticed a lot of advertising comments infiltrating here at Rakuten Viki.

[A warning] don’t click on this link since I had a charge on my credit card that had to struggle to dispute. so it wouldn’t ruin my credit. I remembered I click on a link here (months ago), and right after that, I got the fraudulent charges.

A reminder on how to take care for your indoor plants. Change the soil every 6 months, and you will have the most healthy and precious plants in your home. Don’t add regular soil to your succulent plants use coconut peat/ coconut ‘‘soil’’ it comes in a hard square bar that you can use little by little saving you money. I only find this coconut peat in any PET STORES.

1 Like

I don’t think the 6 months applies to all plants, some plants actually don’t want to be disturbed… One should inquire each plant that one has or has concerns to repot, there are seasons when to repot and when not.

1 Like

@simi11
You are right I should have been more specific to my case.

I saw a youtube video and the guy said every 6 months we should change the soil and he basically had the same plants I have money plant? he said they call it like that in India), but in my Island we call it ‘‘bad mother’’ bc ‘‘she gives away her kids’’ You can cut any piece of that plant, they put it in water until it grows roots, and you can plant them and it will grow so much. Many of my neighbors have taken pieces of my plant, and now their windows are full of my precious green plant. I have a lot of succulent plants but those I only add coconut peat on top and some rocks. I don’t repot them either bc I just change or add the soil.

It so happened that when I left for three months to a temporary place the new place was ‘‘killing’’ my plants so I ran to Home Depot got some new soil and my plants resurrected again, and my new windows now are full of this healthy precious long green vines. I don’t think I would change the soil every 6 months since the soil I use is not cheap at all. It would be too costly for me, but if I see them getting wilted again I would do it in a heartbeat bc it was what saved them. I was in tears thinking it might not work, but it did. I was trying to put up pics but it says the pic is too big. I tried reducing the size but is not working either so I gave up trying to show them here.

But you are right, all plants have different procedure to care for them, and I’m so glad watching a YT video I was able to bring my plants back to life. Now I talk to them, kiss them, clean every leaf I can, I spray them with water, and of course, I don’t drown them with water either. I also have a cactus that I had to repot bc is getting so big. I have aloe vera which requires different care, a combination of coconut peat, good soil saved that one for me.

Can you believe I think the plants were actually homesick too?

PS. I have a picture of the plant in my profile page (it finally worked).

2 Likes

https://americancrochetassociation.blog/hanging-plant.../

3 Likes

how about this one y’all, yep, I’d rather have the real one though

found the pattern if y’all would like

https://cutt.ly/OVD7D5Q

for some reason I am not able to put this on do you like to crochet one.

sorry, I looked through that link and couldn’t find this one. but you try.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

and I* got 2

going to try to do that water thing , see if that will work. course a heads up y’all the sap & leaves are poisonous.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

I had one but it died on me.

Elephant ear plants will make the room fell more tropical and forest-like. Its large arrowhead-shaped leaves have a few variations in shape and color. It is mostly blue and green, grows tall, and is easy to care for.

https://www.homiful.com/

we got a jungle!!!

I like this one better

awwww I coud put more on here, but if you want to see more, check that link out, homiful.com
very interesting.
I would like to have a ladder type one in front of a window and set plants on in, the trailing ivy and others.

oh one more, the water plants

This floating wall shelf with wooden hooks is ideal for propagation. Plant propagation with this will look cool to fill the decoration for an empty space.

same link

3 Likes

That looks quite cool!

For indoor plants you need good light but also space, as days are getting shorter it gets a bit harder to get that needed light although not all plants need equally lots of daylight or sunny side.
I didn’t know you can propagate sage… saw it on YT. I have a lemon verbena, this year I was blessed with 2 harvest, the tea is nice lemony. Here how to overwinter a lemon verbena, you can also propagate it, but directly into soil, in case your plant won’t make it. Don’t cut it down, only in spring!

2 Likes

who has a balcony!!

same link as above. I sure would love to have one!

that link sure has a lot of good ideas for inside & outside!

1 Like

forgot to say I did watch the video. very good/

2 Likes

I don’t want to forget this tip I got from my oldest daughter that helped my plants in the past. For some reason the soil started getting ‘white spots’’ and at the time I didn’t think anything of it, that is until I told my daughter that my plants had weird white spots, and she told me that it was mold from the soil that might be bad or the heat in the apartment was affecting the humidity and causing these ‘‘mold’’ spots. Back then, I had so many plants I feared I was going to go broke if I had to remove all that soil and repot them.

She suggested that it was cheaper to treat it with powdered cinnamon and to make sure I removed those spots and add cinnamon powder to make sure it wouldn’t resurface again. I have to tell you that it was a miracle that really worked, and I didn’t had to change all the soil in the plants at all, saving a lot of money.

Have you ever heard of that before? Do you have any other tips using household products/condiments? Sometimes we have tips that someone can find useful, and that is why, I was hoping we get more tips that we might find useful at some point in our life.

2 Likes