Done with viki

Sure you can, and I realize they need to make money, but seriously… these changes are crap.

I can’t stand watching dramas with ads in between them. I don’t mind if they put it on the sides or something, but when my stream changes from the drama to an ad every few minutes and streaming is blocked unless you allow those ads to play? No way, dude, so done with this.

2 Likes

This is so true and it’s also partially why I was guilt-free using Viki without disabling adblock.

The users who sacrifice their time for others make the site what it is, not the owners of Viki. Jeez. We should all just stop segmenting, subbing, and editing dramas. They can hire and pay people to do that garbage if they’re going to force us to disable adblock and pay to watch.

1 Like

As the situation stands, I would have to agree with that statement. In a bunch of these threads, there are people from the US all complaining about the changes with Viki and how it sucks now, and that they’re all going to leave. That’s fine, they have someplace else that they think is better.

Here’s the thing. Almost all the shows that Viki puts up are available for viewing in the US, no effort involved. Just open your adblock equipped browser, pick a show, sit back and enjoy.

Same goes for sites like DF and Hulu. Thing is, with these two, if you’re not in the US (or the Americas in some cases), you don’t get to watch anything.
With Viki, at least you have the opportunity to watch the shows, if you put in the effort to obtain QC status by segmenting and subbing.

Oh, but that’s not all. Despite having access to pretty much every show on the site, in the odd event that the US doesn’t have viewing rights, there is no end to the complaining from viewers. Like, they’re so entitled to have access to every show ever, without doing anything.

Obviously, this is a generalization based off the people who are loudest - which is always the group complaining. But a lot of things we say are generalizations and you shouldn’t be offended by each and every little thing.

4 Likes

Honestly, I’d just like to know when PayPal is gonna be supported. I’ve come to terms that I’ll never find a website that has everything I want. I’ve decided to suck it up and deal. Besides, it’s cheaper than what NetFlix is offering. I know the whole paying them for just HD and Ad Blocking sucks, but we all can’t say we expected them to give us the service for free forever.
The only I might disagree with is the fact that they most likely don’t pay the segmenters and the subbers who work their butts off to give us all the ability to watch these dramas around the globe. I believe that there should be some sort of funds that are given to these people.

._. After a thinking what I mentioned above, I realized that the segmenters and subbers would not be entitled to the cash because they are labelled as volunteers. So, the only solution for that would be some sort of petition or something.

4 Likes

So I get that a lot of people who don’t help out expect that people who do deserve some kind of monetary reward. But you guys should understand that we never expected to get any payment for what we chose to do. Just as any other kind of volunteering, we do it because we like to, not because of something else. (Or at least, I do.) It’s not like Vik tricked us into doing the work for free or anything.

And I mean, fansubbing has been around for a long time, before Viki and such. It was always just about fans who wanted to spread the enjoyment. I like to help with a show and see that there are all these fans and people who have found something new to love.

Just the fact that QCs worldwide get to watch a lot of shows they otherwise wouldn’t seems like a fair enough trade, as it were. And the new Viki Pass that we get for free is nice too; I’d stick around even without it though.

10 Likes

ok I don’t think so because most content is coming from consumers that have posted on youtube

Yeah I also don’t understand why people that aren’t volunteering complain about getting paid. I didn’t start helping out to receive money, I actually enjoy it a lot. And as other people pointed out there are advantages, I can watch any shows even when it is not available in my country and now the viki pass for free.

3 Likes

If I understand your comment…

No. Pretty much every K-drama on here is licensed, which means Viki payed money for it. They get videos from the production(?) company and they’re hosted on Viki servers.

I don’t know what dramas you’re finding on Youtube, but like everything gets blocked on Youtube because it gets matched up to copyrighted content.

I, like many others, will now being saying goodbye viki since my adblocker will no longer work on this site. I don’t have money to be spending on premium this and that so I will just watch it in lower quality on another site. I will miss you.

They would be breaking the license to allow you to view what you’re asking them to. People need to remember that there are international agreements in place that cannot be broken as well as individual license agreements.

4 Likes

boo dramafever

This is exactly the same reason why I hate VIKI right now… they say all this crap about other sites but they are doing the same thing… kinda ridiculous… I’ve been a member since 2008… & what i find sooo funny, is that VIKI thinks they are the only ones who can sub videos… idk about anyone else but I’ve been watching Kdramas for so long I don’t even need subs anymore… the only thing i will miss is the fact that i wont be able to fan girl with everyone anymore :frowning: LOL

1 Like

but the thing is… the don’t pay volunteers. the volunteers do all the work because without them VIKI would not be running… so why charge when volunteers don’t get paid??? they make so much money from the adds they put up… so… why charge???

1 Like

Very well said!!! So sad!

Why do so many people who don’t help out bring up the excuse that we QC’s don’t get paid?!
What is so hard to understand about ‘volunteering’?! Viki didn’t force us, we never expected to be paid, so why do others think that we want to get paid/have to be paid? Maybe there are QC’s who indeed would like to get paid but most of us don’t I guess. They see it as a hobby and volunteerwork always looks good on my resume. I can watch almost every drama, VikiPass for free, free goodies from Viki on the way (QC end of year gift and seg101 shirt), people who sometimes personally PM me to thank me for my hard work, working together with various people on a drama is fun and you can make friends along the way. That people enjoy my work, cheer me on and thank me also is worth a lot which can’t be exchanged by money. I like it to do things for free sometimes to help a friend out and make others happy. Why getting paid for everything I do?

I see people go like “Viki gets the subs for free so why should we pay?” Why should you get it for free while others do all the work? Don’t come up with they should pay QC’s because they choose to do this work for free and don’t have to pay for VikiPass unlike others.

15 Likes

For some I do not get this discussion, or let’s say it’s not even worth calling it a discussion, just a throwing in of some opinions.

If you think Viki betrayed you for some reason, I can only say, the thing I read out of most of the statements here is a lack of information. Most of the members, viewers here do not seem to care that much of what goes on behind the curtain, unless it spoils their viewing experience.

The simple point is that nothing in life is free.

Most viewers are from the States, or the Americas, maybe someone will jump in her/his seat again if I voice that indeed, American viewers seem spoiled. In all my time as a QC and I was one after 3 days of joining Viki in 2009. I saw 2, I mean TWO dramas that got a license at Europe first that was HEARTSTRINGS and now HEIRS and people protest in the channel, that is and always was the volunteers place, who do not have a word in what gets license, or when it will get one, instead to write to Viki directly.

You can’t because you do not know why?

Are you kidding me, now?

If you want to find an information like that, you will find it, it’s not that you need to become a spy. I agree that it is a bit harder now, but not impossible. When you are at Viki not here at the community forum, and move to your picture and it will lead the way to the Help Center and further to activites it will guide you the way to put in a request. I guess the blog should help as well, as it is managed by Viki staff and not volunteers. I don’t know if this is a test or an instrument to keep requests lower in numbers, I certainly don’t like the way it is made now, there is no logical point for me that I would have searched there and the help desk is like a big surprise bag. It’s bad if you look for new information about changes at Viki that may be necessary for any volunteer.

I, myself took a break of almost half a year. To come to terms with the changes at Viki. Mostly because of the mass deletion of comments and posts, the information and help instructions of other volunteers that was gone for good, that was something boiling in me.

I came back, but not like in former times, I don’t comment at channels, or really rarely, eventhough I once was Commenter of the Year, but let’s forget about that time. I myself don’t think I will ever pay here, if I can contribute in exchange. In the last year I only did my minimum of 1000 subs to keep my status of QC. Because without QC, I have access to about 20 or so, k-dramas, with QC there are about 200 and it is the only legal way to have access to k-dramas in Europe. There are still many dramas I can’t watch because the content owners did not agree. And I don’t feel like complaining about that to Viki.
Some may not agree to the point that Viki is the only page offering subs, but most of you only refer to English subs, but if there would be only one language in this world, then we wouldn’t talk back and forth all the time.

To chose what you like, you are free in that.
To get more information, you should try sometimes to read more …
Hope this doesn’t offend anyone.

But as a volunteer, I make a choice, if I want to contribute and how much I want and can contribute. I know, or at least should know, what I am doing and I only can make the right choice about that, if I have enough information about any organisation I am supporting be it one for the greater good or a business like Viki. And I do not need anyone else to call for a “salary”, that is something that would need to come from the basis of the Viki contributors. For most of the volunteers, I guess they don’t want one, but only would like to be more involved in changes, or at least informed on changes.
The only word in Viki statements than makes me itchy at times, is that Viki “thinks” they are acting transparent. But transparency is something that vanishes more and more, the more money is inclueded.
I am not done with Viki yet, but I am critical and my number of contribution is depending on the “acts” of Viki.

Sorry for the long “speech”, this certainly reminds me of older days at viikii.

5 Likes

I love the fact that you only noticed me saying that while if you read all the comments you would see that people from Europe for example said the same things, specially when spoiled isn’t as bad as the things you referred to :slight_smile:

People from the US are spoiled in the way that they have everything they want for free in a way or another, ex dramas whether drama fever charges you, you go to Viki, when Viki charges it’s hulu, you always expect thing for free and don’t bother working for it,
and that’s a fact, nobody criticized you for that, we were just pointing it out, you guys are lucky enough to be able to access everything you want, but if you find something disturbing your viewing experience you start criticizing it and complain, and that too is a fact if you read the whole topic.

I don’t regret what i said because it’s true, and i don’t really appreciate your response.

Generally US people are the ones who are complaining the most, they are free to do so, but i don’t think Viki is that bad, since for example on DF you have no other choice but to buy the ad-free pass while on Viki you still do for a bit of work in return, Viki was made to spread cultures and bring down language barriers and is the only site doing that, since we don’t see any other sites subbing shows in more than 200 languages and offering it for free to all viewers(despite the ads).

One more thing, why is it that non-QC usually complain about us not being paid, who said QCs want to get paid? Accessing videos ad free and end-of-the-year gift is way better than getting paid, being thanked for our hard work by people who appreciate it is way more important, the proud moment when finish things up is also one of the best moments. This is how we are paid and more than enough here on Viki. But let me ask this, why shouldn’t you pay when you won’t work and we are working?
This maybe how i think of it… i apologize for anyone who got me wrong or felt wronged by what i said, this is just how i see things.

3 Likes

Yes I’m agree with you. Who said QCs want to get paid? I’m translating for me, for my family, for my friends, and for my students too. Not for money.

4 Likes

C’est bien vrai, je le fait pour le plaisir de le faire et non pas pour le gain mais viki doit payer pour avoir les video en HD légalement mais ils ne comprennent vraiment pas ça ils ne veulent que le gratuit sans effort.

1 Like

I felt so sad but now where we can watch the videos???