Done with viki

Same shoes here! What a disappointment! I guess Viki will start to pay for segmenters, subbers, mods, etc now, huh? :slight_smile:

@Wafaahs I don’t think they are trying to convince others to quit Viki. They are simply expressing their frustration. And as you can see, others are still saying they’ll stick with Viki regardless of the changes. I mean we can still read people’s opinions, but make our own decisions, since we do have free will. It’s not bad manners. I personally hate when websites censor unfavorable opinions concerning themselves (especially if I want to see reviews for a product before I buy it & there is not a single negative one; talk about skewed). If all I saw were posts like yours I would definitely think you’re a paid worker rather than a fan and volunteer contributor. The fact that Viki is allowing discussions like this is, I think, a great thing. If you don’t want to hear people complain don’t go into the thread. And I don’t think anyone here thinks volunteers are stupid; has someone said that to you? Volunteers made this site so I think we appreciate them.

I don’t know if that was off-topic, but in case it was, I really picked the right time to start watching dramas again :\ It’s been a couple of years (when it was still Viikii), and I just finished watching one before this change. I was going to wait to see if they’d get the rights to Heirs, but now I don’t know. The ads I don’t mind, but I prefer HD. The fact that Good Drama doesn’t have HD was really the only thing stopping me from watching Heirs there (I also sometimes like to see the timed comments here). Some say HD doesn’t matter, but it does to me. If you can’t tell the difference, how wonderful for you, but I can (it’d be like someone taking away my glasses).
I could buy a VikiPass or volunteer, but as I mentioned I’m not a consistent viewer, so I don’t know if it’d be worth it (maybe after becoming a QC, I’d stop watching for a few years again, and if I came back things could change as drastically as they have now). AND they don’t even have the Japanese dramas that I prefer. Maybe the passes will add the revenue necessary to bring these dramas, but I can’t know for sure. Anyways, as someone mentioned a pass doesn’t guarantee that it’ll be available in my region, which to me nulls the pass. The whole point of paying is to gain unfettered access; since doesn’t that money go to getting licenses?

Well, since these changes have just happened I’ll wait to see how this might impact the site for the better (or worse).

Eh. Maybe, maybe not. But at least indirectly, some are talking about how they hate the site now and ‘oh look, here are some better options’ - which is sort of like telling people to go elsewhere. And I mean, that’s fine for people to do, if they feel that strongly about it. There are some that also feel strongly on the other end of things, who have been voicing their opinions as well. It’s up to readers to form their own opinion on the matter of course.

So, going off topic a bit
 I haven’t found anything that says Viki Pass is only available in a certain region, so I’ve been wondering if it was open to everyone world-wide. Because, like you’ve said, it would sort of suck in terms of content availability for pretty much anyone not in the Americas (and Europe, at times, I guess). At least currently.

On the topic of QCs, I think that depending on how multilingual (bilingual even) you are, it could be pretty easy to obtain. And I mean, I guess it depends on how much time you’d be willing to spend working towards it. But if you’re planning on watching one or two shows, I think it’d be worth it.

And back off topic again, but you have to be of a minority of people I’ve come across that only watch dramas sometimes. It’s always been ‘not interested’ or more or less ’ obsessed’ XD

Same. I’ve definitely been on the side of Viki so far, in part because it just doesn’t seem that bad yet. And in part, because I’m hoping that it doesn’t get that bad, because I like this place.
But give it some time to unfold. I think that’s what bothers me about these forums/comments thus far. It’s been a week or something, things are still being worked out. And everyone’s already throwing hissy-fits.

1 Like

If you understand Korean (reading and listening) go to Dabdate.com. At least you get to watch all different sorts of tv shows and dramas from Korea the day it comes out in Korean time. You only pay $3 through paypal for 3 months (sometimes it can last longer than 3 months
 depends on how much you stream). No ads and okay quality (it is nice to see in HD, but not necessary for me). Reason why a fee of $3 is for the site upkeep and licensing the guy (owner) pays to the Korean broadcasting station. The shows are up for only a week (because of his license agreement), but that’s enough time for me to catch up on any of my favorite tv variety shows (and sometimes dramas if I’m in the mood).

Now this is IMO. So please, respect my opinion and don’t bash what I say

As for Viki charging people, I understand it’s fair for the QCs, but what about those that are in the process of becoming a QC and it’s taking forever because they actually have a life (full time student, career and/or family)?? By the time I try to translate some of the popular Korean dramas (which is the time I get home from work and finish making dinner for my husband), it’s about 99% completed. I’ve been with Viki for 3 years and I contribute when I actually have time, but that’s not often. However, I do it because I want people to appreciate the Korean culture and enjoy the entertainment that Korea offers. To this day, I still haven’t been able to meet the 3000 subtitles. I was even tempted to subtitle Korean to Korean to meet it, but what’s the point when no one needs Korean subtitles?? (all my friends and my family watch it straight from Korean cable channels on tv or Korean sites, so I’m pretty sure that’s the case with many Koreans in general)

So, sorry to say, I’m leaving Viki. I’m done with contributing. Why waste time with translating now that I have to go through ads (I watch the show and then translate or I translate while watching)? Viki is now no different from Dramafever or Hulu (at least Hulu offers HD). Viki’s business plan has a problem within itself too. Give free VikiPass for QCs?? IMO that’s not enough. They are saving TONS of money if they just offer that plus the money they rake in for those that aren’t QCs. If they are becoming like Dramafever, mind as well start hiring the QCs and paying them just as Dramafever pay their translators. Or at least offer better compensation other than the VikiPass.

Again, this is my opinion, so please respect what I said in this post. If you disagree, that’s fine. You are entitled to your own opinion. However, don’t bash mine or other people’s opinion.

3 Likes

i agree with you, i rather have the ads on the side instead of in the videos, because that gets super irritating

Hey Vikians, thanks for all of the great feedback about Viki Pass. I just wanted to highlight some of the words of our QC community members in this discussion. You can learn more about QC (Qualified Contributor) status here.

scircus: "The investment is to help further expand Viki (if even that), which is something I’m behind. The money has to come from somewhere, for Viki to get access to all the shows it’s made available. And if users want more content, available in more places, don’t you think Viki needs money for that too?

Viki isn’t the only thing profiting. All the content that they’ll be able to make available is great for me too.

And anyway, no one’s denying that the contributors make this site. We get free Viki Pass access, which isn’t a bad deal, considering I wasn’t expecting anything. I help out because I like to, and I also get to help give other people the chance to enjoy this stuff."

Wafaahs: " So Viki is the best site ever in my case, i don’t mind helping out in return for good quality sub and availability for all dramas for free, in fact i would and i am doing that everyday. Viki is the only site that gives you the option for worldwide view of dramas, even if it means working a bit for it, nothing in this world is free so

I think Viki will always be the best site between them, and legal one, you’re free to quit yourself if you don’t like the change and are not interested in contributing but i don’t think you should be convincing others to do so that’s bad manners especially here on the discussion of the site:), If there was not the QC option i would understand where you are coming from, but it’s not like there is no way at all to view contents for free."

http://discussions.viki.com/t/done-with-viki/467/55?u=catchlight

4 Likes

@ Kranberry.I support your comment 100%.I seriously find it rather ANNOYING when people use the smallest opportunities to say something trashy about America,The new viki issue has NOTHING to do with AMERICA so I have no idea why this person would say such NONSENSE.

3 Likes

It’s true what you said. I bet that if they payed, a lot of people would not do it anymore, because it’d become a job

Je aussi le fait pour le plaisir de le faire.

2 Likes

I’m afraid I’m done with it too. The moment they put video behind a pay wall on the premise that you have an ad blocker installed, even if it’s turned off, is ridiculous. Goodbye Viki.

1 Like

There’s only one thing that I’m quite annoyed about

I understand that we have ads
 but we’re getting ads ON ads. Does that make sense?

American ads + Korean ads. Plus today I experienced more ads than ever. It felt as if I saw ads every 3 mins

@Mangoiee
This is an advice I will give to everyone, who thinks the amount of ads is not correct. Please write to the Helpdesk and state your problem.
It seems to me there are a lot of bugs and other technical issues these days.
If you can, try to change the browser to see, if the problem is still the same.
Good luck!

2 Likes

But not everyone knows another language to sub or knows how to segment, I really wouldn’t have minded if the pass was for no ads only, i could bear ads but i also watched most of my dramas on 720p and to have that taken away kind of makes me sad.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure all people who knows English knows the “lolspeak” or the slang Internet way of typing or texting? You guys should try that out since it is an option here on viki, and about segmenting you can learn that it isn’t that hard if you put you mind into it, and practice.

The thing i find absurd is that each and everyone of you work hard everyday in order to make a living, you get NOTHING in life for FREE. It was the viki staff’s generosity for those years to allow that, you should all be thankful for it, but still for them their profit is of course first, so why can’t you get that you CANNOT always have stuff without paying, you got that since the site was created and it was great, but it came to an end just accept it.
But the great side is you are still getting the videos for free(regardless of the ads) and if you are annoyed by the ads you can just work a bit and you will get rid of them, it’s a great deal seriously and on top of that if you volunteer(QC) you get access to almost everything regardless of your region.
It’s not like they are forcing you to volunteer AND pay, then it would have been absurd.

2 Likes

Les personnes de langues anglaises peuvent aussi Ă©crire les sous-titres de leurs propres langues, l’anglais, pour qu’on puisse les traduire dans d’autres langues (le français par exemple) pour moi dans les sĂ©ries anglaises les acteurs parlent parfois trop vite je n’ai pas toujours le temps de comprendre, si c’était sous-titrĂ© en anglais ce serait plus symple, surtout pour apprendre l’anglais parlĂ© au lieu de toutjours connaitre l’anglais Ă©cris seulement.
Par exemple, il y a plein de séries UK sur le site:
http://www.viki.com/tv/5124c-state-of-play-season-1
http://www.viki.com/tv/5094c-mistresses-season-1
Etc
 il y en a suffisament, mais il faut y penser !!

Je ne me sens pas capable d’écrire tout ça en anglais
 DĂ©solĂ©e pour les autres !

3 Likes

@kobolt Je vais traduire ca pour toi!

I’m gonna translate what kobolt just said:
“For those who only speak English(or just one language), you can also translate into your own language, so we can easily translate into other languages(French for example), for me for English shows, the actors sometimes speak to fast that i cannot always understand, if it was English subbed it would have been more simple, especially for learning English speaking rather than only knowing written English.
For Example, there is many series from the UK on this site:

http://www.viki.com/tv/5124c-state-of-play-season-1
http://www.viki.com/tv/5094c-mistresses-season-1
Etc
 there is enough, but you should think about it !!
I don’t think i can write all this in English sorry for the others”
I tried doing a literal translation for all of you guys, hope you can take advantage of this advice.

2 Likes

I never complained about ads, i can bear those, but i guess you are right they are giving it for free and need to make money, i think it would have been better if they had transferred slowly instead of doing it in one big woop. Maybe a donation box for people to donate whenever? Because i know i would have been able to at least chip in some money since i love viki and have been using the site since 2009 and i am pretty sure other people might have done the same.

1 Like

From watching dramas both places, I think that the quality of Viki’s subtitles is far superior (as far as translation). If you want to view dramas without ads and without paying for the service, then become a Qualified Contributor. Volunteer to segment or subtitle. I learned to subtitle. It only took me a month to exceed the necessary 3,000 subtitles to become a QC.

2 Likes

Yes. I’ll continue to do it. I enjoy my QC status and my free Viki Pass. I also enjoy being on project teams. I get something out of it and so does Viki.

2 Likes

You can turn adblock off momentarily/for this domain only. While watching the ads sucks, its better than no drama at all.

1 Like

I think it’s probably Chrome because I’m watching Viki on Safari now and it’s lesser than ads than yesterday. Thanks :slight_smile: