English language locked on Subtitle Editor/Bulk Translator

Does anyone know how to unlock a locked language? I can’t edit subtitles from Korean to English because English is locked in the TO column. I can, however, edit from English to Korean and Korean to Korean.

If you click on the TO: drop down box in the Bulk Translator and scroll to the very bottom, it shows locked languages.

We don’t know how it got locked, as it worked before. Any help will be appreciated!

Maybe it is necessary to know which channel? As we do not know for sure it is possible with new tv series that are from “Kocowa” some are delivered with the English subtitles I understand and the subtitles are not meant to be changed.

If it is another channel though, it might be a technical hickup and you should report it to the help-center.

Thanks for you input. I have done a little research. This film does not appear to be a Kocowa title, but was apparently closed to subtitling/editing after Viki changed its process for selecting media for subtitling. So, the team that was in place on the film is no longer showing on Viki’s side as being in existence and is locked out. It seems like this is not uncommon.

The bottom line is that the Editor was closed by Viki before the team was finished with its work. Our team cannot see a way to get access to the subtitles to edit them. What a shame. This is a brilliant and historically important film. The film deserves its due respect to be beautifully edited. As a side note, the subtitles are better when viewed with Viki apps. Non-Viki apps (smart TV apps like Roku) have many formatting problems making viewing quite annoying (e.g., words run together). Insertion of proper HTML codes could solve the problem for other viewing apps without adversely affecting Viki apps. The title of the film is Anarchist in Control. If you have enough tissues, you should watch it.

These days, I view my edits on Roku, Viki.com, Chrome cast, and viki mobile to make certain the edits look good across several viewers.

I only took so much time in my response in case others are having a similar problem. Perhaps we will get some responses with a solution. If not, I have at least left readers with knowledge of a very fine film.

Well, you might have read this post already but in case you didn’t …
https://discussions.viki.com/t/solved-see-note-if-you-have-this-too-sep-21-roku-outage-app-issue/17230/4

About subtitle editor in general, Viki does some behind the veil changes, so it can be possible that the sub editor at the channel is affected, in that case you might need to give feedback to them directly to make them aware.

Got some great feedback from Kristi at Viki. I have a much clearer understanding of how the new process works. I am grateful for her patience in helping me to understand.

It would be nice if she shared here, in case it affects other people/shows.

1 Like

I will share for her. In a nut shell.

If someone assigns you to a team and you cannot unlock the editor/timer for your language, go back to the main project screen to see if there is an assigned Channel Manager. Look at the top of the page on the left under the title or the work and ratings information.

If you do not see that a CM has been assigned, then, even though you appear on the team, you will not have access to the editor/timer.

Does this seem obvious? Not always. If one knows the process, it is obvious. If one don’t know the process thoroughly and does not realize that just because names appear in the Team section doesn’t necessarily mean they are on a functioning team. It only means that they have somehow been involved with that work at some time in the past. No CM–no access.

The film I was interested in had subtitles that needed editing. For this reason, I thought it was a Viki designated film. But, alas, it was not. The film’s splash page had members listed in the Team section, but had no CM and was locked by Viki. In fact, two of the names listed as team members were actually Viki staff. I only looked at the fact that there appeared to be team members and wrongly assumed that this was a Viki-designated film. I failed to look at the top of the page to see that there was no CM.

Hope this is helpful to volunteers who are looking for projects and need to realize that you should first check at the top of the work’s splash screen to see if the work has a designated CM. If not, there is nothing to work on and no one with authority to officially place you on a functioning team.

This is just my understanding of the process from the viewpoint of a volunteer seeking projects. Please add corrections or additional insight as it pertains to the problem described above.

3 Likes

Aaaahhh… very interesting. Good to know. Thanks.

Below is Kristi’s helpful follow up reply:

Roku currently does not reflect the HTML tags so italics and breaks do not show there. Due to limitations with the Roku app, we are currently not able to portray them in the subtitles. (Note that by inserting a space between the last word in a line and the break will solve the problem in regard to the HTML break tag.)

Also, some of the content obtained from Kocowa will be closed to editing by the Viki community. A way you can identify such shows is by checking if the Channel Manager of the show is vikicommunity. You can find out more about this in this FAQ.

Here is the FAQ:
If a channel has the “vikicommunity” account as the Channel Manager, it means it is a Viki Pass Plus title that had been uploaded with English subtitles. These subtitles will not be available for editing nor can other subtitles be created for these particular titles due to copyright. Therefore, we will not be adding other channel team members.

2 Likes

Oh, bother! One more thing to keep in mind. Why on earth do people watch TV-series and films from cellphones?
(Sorry for whining, but I sometimes feel sick and tired and fed up…)

You translate from Korean to English? :o

I am an english language editor. I also am a qualified segmentor. Check my profile. I know the Korean language and culture, but I’m not a translator.

1 Like