Expiring Licenses

Yes, this is the expiring licenses thread. And I would like to here suggest we - for each other - and possibly for the overlords, if they know this not - we write here on this thread, WHY the drama is important to us personally. What is it that makes us mourn this loss. Other than our work, and the work of our friends.

The four I am most gutted about are Warrior Baek Dong Soo, Painter of the Wind, The Great Doctor and Tree with Deep Roots. The first above the rest though…

Warrior Baek Dong Soo is one of my all-time favorites and it goes well with Jackpot…Choi Min Soo and his good friend and adversary are in both - and…The Sky Lord is my 2nd most terrifying villain of all time. (Behind only one: El Temur). WBDS has the best FIRST EPISODE. This episode does it all - and will tear your heart out…and make you wonder, what on earth can they do going forward! This drama has something for everyone. Love. Hate. Revenge. MARTIAL ARTS! History. And MAGNIFICENT ACTING. It took a truly GREAT up and coming talent of Ji Chang Wook…to stand with the talents around him. The other thing about WBDS…the music, I wish they had translated the lyrics. I love the music…and it feels so appropriate. I watch this drama when my own fighting spirit is flagging. I try to remember not to watch it right before I try to sleep…because it makes me very awake, very alive. The splendid agony of the final episodes…

Painter of the Wind - a captivating historical with romance…and art. Fascinating. The acting is superb. The story…very entertaining. The art - surprisingly captivating. It has the girl pretending to be a boy - which is a beloved theme in many dramas - and it does all of this very well. When it ends, you wish it had more episodes.

The Great Doctor…ah…from episode 15 to the end…this is the glory of this drama. We get beyond the set up and …you are swept along in the current of love, politics, and some excellent fighting…and again, the cast is amazing. the job of the girl is to NOT get in the way of the oh so memorable main man…who essentially plays a similar character in SHR. There is also another actor in this one I noticed…and wondered why he stood out - and this was before his work in Six…flying dragons. Our Rebel is in this also - and you can see why he moves from supporting cast on. He stands out not only for his height, but his acting already in GD.

Tree…what is there to say about tree, except it is incredibly well done and well acted. You see the painstaking labor of the King as he makes his written language…the resistance of the nobles…and all the things around this. it is easy to recognize the work of the team that did Great Queen Seon Deuk and Six. And it’s a shame we won’t have all three when the last of the trilogy finally airs. I mean, if people say they don’t like historical - they come back saying they like Tree.

So that’s some of the reasons I love them and will miss them from our halls here. I wish they were not being taken down.

one watched. three left to revisit…

4 Likes

Shouldn’t we open an extra thread about it? Anyway …

There are dramas, that are like medicine, and the one for me is FAITH: Whenever I feel sick, or I feel down I watch the troubling "life"of Yoo Eun Soo and her encounter with the past. The challenges of life be it then or be it now is what helps me through the hardest days. I am not the typical fan that watches a drama for a certain actor or actress, I will try a project based on story. So it’s rare for me that I, who do not really favor fantasy, historical or bloody action, ended up with FAITH becoming one of the most valued dramas in my viewer history.

BEYOND THE CLOUDS - @cgwm808 (It’s not on the list but I had a note in my inbox from the channel that it will be gone) It’s a tragical story, one that goes deep and lingers on. I like stories that keep your mind buzy, while you watch it and after. Did I say, I am not watching for a certain actor, but when there are several actors I like are in one project, I will at least try.

PROSECUTOR PRINCESS - it’s a growing up story, even the female lead is already an adult, not so in behavior since she was overprotected by her parents. Coming out in this world in her profession as a prosecutor she has to face life as it is. She will step out of her shell being a dreamy girl getting over-exhited about shoes, to a responsible adult understanding the difference between a crush and real love.

PROTECT THE BOSS - a comedy like tragical story, isn’t it, but in re-view we tend to forget that indeed it was not only for the big laughs. I forgot to mention that at this project I also got to experience the comrady of team member, it was a hard time for me, when one of my family members had two grave surgeries and I in addition was so buzy at work. But I had a co-mod on stand-bye and a reliable team that made this drama one of my best volunteer experiences.

I will write down the other dramas I cherish, not regarding the issue of an expiring license, nor if they have or had a channel at viki:
A WIFE’S CREDENTIALS, DR. GANG, GIANT, GLORIOUS DAY, HEART TO HEART, KING OF DRAMAS, KINGDOM OF THE WINDS, LAST SCANDAL OF MY LIFE, LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL, MAMA,MY DAUGHTER FLOWER, MY LOVELY KIM SAM SOON, NEW TALES OF GISAENG, PADAM PADAM, QUEEN IN HUN’S MAN, QUEEN SEON DEOK,SHUT UP FLOWER BOY BAND, SMILE YOU, STARS FALLING FROM THE SKY, SURGEON BONG DAL HEE, THANK YOU, THE LAWYERS OF GREAT REPUBLIC KOREA, TIME BETWEEN DOG AND WOLF, TWO WEEKS, WHAT’S UP?, WHAT’S UP FOX?, WHO ARE YOU?, WILL IT SNOW AT CHRISTMAS?; WONDERFUL LIFE, YOU DON’T KNOW WOMEN

P.S.: I am currently watching SCHOOL 2013 and may try WARRIOR BAEK DONG SOO at last …
I don’t think, I will be able to watch more then those 2 till end of july. I do not want to rush through them either. So I am taking my time, if there is still time left, … I will surely get back to the favorites of mine watching one or two scenes.

3 Likes

Hm… If drama is not licensed anymore, shouldn’t episodes be gone already? I still can see episodes of dramas which license has expired in July 17th.

@sungsooah
We don’t know …
At the end volunteers are at the same end of information regarding licenses like any other user.
All those things are in the hands of viki. You will need to ask them directly.
Maybe there is still a matter about regions, QC status, or whatever. We, the volunteers, do not know, just like you are wondering, we do too.

1 Like

Both Viki and DramaFever are losing licenses because of Kocowa. They get dramas and the like from the big 3 networks. This is really about to be a problem.

1 Like

Somes of dramas you post here are still available in the U.S whereas some dramas aren’t:

1. Life is beautiful
  2. My daughter flower
  3. New Tales of Gisaeng
  4. Surgeon Bong Dal Hee
  5. What’s up
  6. Wonderful life
  7. You don’t know women

@trangle8507 I mentioned them regardless of their current status at viki. but I can only tell about dramas with viki as source there is no other for me.
F.e. Surgeon Bong Dal Hee has a new channel, so how is it available in the US?
Are you speaking of other sources at the US, I am in Europe, we had a fewer number of dramas anyway …

I said they ain’t available. Please read the whole sentence. I personally checked on Viki app iOS.

Oops, now …
@trangle8507
Sorry, but I could say the same, when in the referred post I wrote[quote=“lutra, post:225, topic:16497”]
I will write down the other dramas I cherish, not regarding the issue of an expiring license, nor if they have or had a channel at viki:
[/quote]

I am not a native English speaker, so I didn’t know, why you came up with a list of dramas, when I already said, there might be no channel.

???

P.S. At least for these dramas there were fan-channels before and all fully English subbed: 1,3,4,5,7.
There was no channel for 2 and about 6, I am not sure, it is possible …

1 Like

Another drama expiring @cgwm808 WILL IT SNOW FOR CHRISTMAS

I’m not Native English speaker either. The rest of the list of drama that you posted there have U.S license and already expired like license in Europe. The list I post the license is already expired. I searched every drama in iOS in person. Maybe they are just locked for region, but doesn’t mean all episodes are deleted.

[quote=“deadliftdiva_548, post:224, topic:16497”] Warrior Baek Dong Soo, Painter of the Wind, The Great Doctor and Tree with Deep Roots.
[/quote]

Those dramas you mentioned above are still there. They’re just locked in specific region. All the subs are still there. I’m in the U.S and searched on iOS in person. School 2013 and To The Beautiful You (Korean version) are still there in the U.S.

@trangle8507
It was not my intention making someone look up for the license status of the dramas I listed.
The dramas never had a European license to begin with, they only were on fan-channels, just tolerated but not approved and later removed because of the content owner.

I didn’t even check the availability, it’s only the titles of the dramas that are somewhat the dramas and channels making me into the viewer and volunteer I am today.

I got nothing more to say …

I just do it at my own will and volition. I just want to help and get some news for you. We could ask them for specific region we want.

IOS sounds like a mobile version?

US viewer on Android Viki… neither School 2013 nor To the Beautiful You come up in search, & when I go to their pages via my collections, I get the same msg as on the desktop: region-locked.

So I have sent requests for both wth the form… ^-^ https://vikiinc.wufoo.com/forms/title-request-form/

THEY WILL BE REMOVED AT THE END OF JULY. Possibly 7/27.

The warning label of “THIS TITLE IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE” is already visible. I’m in USA, by the way.

You can watch them for a few more days.

The removal notes were sent to the CM and the option to download subs to CM by the way - so you are not correct on this.

I wish you were.

KURAMA

2 Likes

@lutra
Thank you for informing of Will It Snow for Christmas. Song Joong Ki was in that!! I loved the OST.
Folks – if you are sending me news about expired licenses, please only write to me if you got a notice from your CM or you are a CM who received a viki notice. I don’t want to confuse the list with tiitles which may never have been accessible to you due to regional restrictions or titles which disappeared years ago. I’d like to confine the list to titles which are disappearing or have disappeared in the past few weeks.

3 Likes

@simbiani If you said so and then I think It’s available to me, but it doesn’t mean it’s available to all the States of the U.S. I think It must be separated by geographic locations such as North America, South America… Not sure, but it’s my theory! Because it’s available to me at the present. Anyway, it’s just available for a couple of days! :disappointed_relieved:

@deadliftdiva_548 It’s serious than I thought it’d be

Why Running Man :sob: I literally only got a viki pass for running man… Is there any way it could be relicensed?

Just saw this ad in FB.

“Watch “Running Man” only on KOCOWA.com :grin::grin:!!”

So this means Viki will not be getting license for Running Man for sure.