Expiring Licenses

I guess, I need something to drink, no soju in the house ;(

1 Like

I am reeling. I have some makkeoli

1 Like

Thanks. I added to the first post

I am from Europe and QC videos are still running at Coffee Prince, but another channel I recived a message an hour before was already gone.

Thanks. Iā€™ve added to the first post

I was recently recruited to help edit Temptation of the Wife and was so pumped to help out, but then Chloe received a message that this drama was getting unlicensed as well. Not only is this hurting viewers, but itā€™s also hurting the current and past volunteers.

Many of my favorite dramas are goingā€¦ Why, oh why? :sob:

2 Likes

This is so sad, I was very glad to have you with me to help for this drama.
This is a hecatombā€¦
So many drama we loveā€¦

1 Like

OMGā€¦ This is really sad.
I understand, itā€™s their decision not to renew the licenses, I guess they are not cheap at all, and if there is little to non profit from them, itā€™s a losing situation for ā€œRakutenā€.
But that doesnā€™t mean itā€™s not a pity to lose all those amazing episodes and subtitles, that so many people put hard work into.

(Maybe I should start making backups from my subtitles, even though the ones I have done are still safeā€¦ I donā€™t want to lose all my hard work that I have been doing in my short free timeā€¦)

1 Like

These titles will expire? The Reply series all of them? And Cheese in the trap was licensed late, wtfā€¦

I just received for Warrior Baek Dong Soo (they said ā€œsoonā€, no date revealed), Swallow the Sun (expired already, episodes arenā€™t there anymore), the rest of what I received are already on the list above.

@cgwm808
Hi ! You didnā€™t add Prosecutor Princess to the list, an hour ago the channel was gone but now I can access it again. I would at least need two weeks of vacation to at least re-watch my all time favorite dramas

Request and suggestion:

Please tell us at 2-3 months before about licence expiry and your plans to renew it or not.
Post it on the dramaā€™s page for all to see, donā€™t just tell the CM. So that other people may know if they want to watch this before itā€™s gone. The moderators may be interested in saving their work, but regular viewers might have had this in their ā€œto watchā€ list, and they also have the right to know.
Everyone is advising us ahead of time. Banks about our credit card dues, electricity bills: they say ā€œyou have until this date to pay upā€.

And I thought, after discovering viki, that I didnā€™t need bother downloading dramas anymore, as they take precious hard drive spaceā€¦

14 Likes

I guess Rakuten may think ā€œhey, old dramas from 2009/2010, who needs them?ā€ But thatā€™s missing the point completely. It is a complete lack of understanding as to how a drama lover works. We do rewatch dramas. We do go back and watch episodes we like, even parts we like. Thatā€™s why some of the dramas losing their license still trend above some of the new ones sometimes.

Some of these are classics. Losing them is like a punch to the gut. And as many have pointed out, with little warning to the teams to save their work or to the viewers to finish what they are watching.

Sad overall.

16 Likes

I swear, each time I visit the discussions, this thread has a new RIP Drama.

The only ones left standing will be the youtubers, I mean wow.

6 Likes

At the end, only viki original dramas are really ā€œsafeā€ for the licenses i thinkā€¦

3 Likes

@glykeria
If this goes on then the only k-dramas I will get to see are on KBSā€™s YT channel.
I donā€™t know should one laugh or cry ā€¦

3 Likes

@deval_chloe
Have you watched any of them?
I did only try the first attempt, American version of BOYS OVER FLOWERS, that was a big let down, but at least it seems they will not make a mistake like that again.

Yes I watched some of them, because iā€™m french moderator on them, but indeed clearly this is not the best.
Iā€™m so sad in the list we have for now there is 5 of my favorites dramasā€¦
And I think a lot of viewers will leave because of that.

1 Like

Youā€™re right. And for me, I donā€™t necessarily watch dramas in the order they come out. Sometimes I watch the latest drama and sometimes I watch one from a few years back. I donā€™t think I"m the only one who does it like that.

6 Likes

Ohh yes I sometimes watch old ones too. When I really like an actor or actress I mostly will check their profile on asianwiki/dramawiki. Sometimes it turns out I did already watch everything or most of it but often times I also find older drama that I didnā€™t watch yet.

And next to that people get into Kdrama every day and some Kdrama are classics that are a must watch for any Kdrama fan no matter how old they are.

8 Likes