Family research anyone?

2 Likes

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

2 Likes

I have put aside my “venture” in genealogy just for a short time, esp whit holiday coming up, but I am pulling at te reins, gotta do some today!! maybe I can do this today…

2 Likes

I found this today, very interesting!!

1 Like

this coming year i am going to break down some brick walls, I got a crack in one I did just recently!

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

check this out, will have a lot of hints ansd all, I enjoyed the 2022 one

19h
·

The 2023 Legacy Family Tree Webinar schedule is now available. Sign up for one or all of the 177 webinar that you can access. http://legacy.familytreewebinars.com/?aid=8114 #ad #MyHeritage #HoundontheHunt

1 Like

I learned that I don’t have to be perfect all the time for my family to love me.:blush:

3 Likes

2 Likes

2 Likes

‘At a time like this, I am needed more than ever.’

Explore the story of First World War nurse Edith Cavell ➡️ https://bit.ly/3L6Pl4Q

1 Like

time to lets have fun!!

2 Likes

You never know what you may discover

NERGC - New England Regional Genealogical Conference

·

You, when you get your DNA test results back.

#NERGC2023

https://www.nergc.org

1 Like

1 Like

The Ancestor Hunt

·

Cemetery records are a significant pursuit for many genealogists. Sometimes, the information on a headstone is the only information available for certain ancestors. Just being buried in a specific cemetery may provide a clue to ethnicity, religion, military status, or lodge association.

There is an abundance of information found in cemetery records, beyond the limited info on a headstone.

https://theancestorhunt.com/…/genealogy-information-in…/

heres our laugh for the day

Unknown Name, location, date, and what the heck it is. Lol
But it looks cool…

2 Likes

:flushed::flushed::flushed: genealogia é algo assustador

2 Likes

alveshemylly_300 yes in some it may be scary, but looik, its an adventure, scifi, mystery, intrigue and all. you find Marie Antionette as an ancestor, or Anne boleane , or a queen, or lets go the other way, I have Jesse James, but haven’t proved it yet. I got whalers in my line, don’t know what part of the world you are from, but look at those things differently, scary? sure, I( got a queen that lost her head!!) how about you find that one person that was a hero/heroine in your family, you wont know if you dont look.

and theres so muc h help online, family search.org, itsa free, ancestry.com, heritage, and I can go on and on. so dont be afraid, just get on with it. hey let me know what you do find. and of course would be glad to help

1 Like

How to distinguish between similar-looking individuals in records

While this is a fairly simple example, the principles shown here also apply to more complicated research problems. Here are three tips to keep in mind next time you come across possible historical record doppelgängers:

1. When you come across the same name, learn everything you can from the record trail leading to “your” person. When questions came up regarding Charles’ identity, I went back to what records about his son had already revealed about him. Record trails usually work backward in time: you often first encounter relatives in records created later in their lives. But sometimes you’ll have to look across a person’s lifespan to make sense of what you see.
  2. Research and compare all records that seem to pertain to this name. If they belong to different people, you will likely start to see patterns that help you group the records by person, such as a specific relationship or similar birth information. If similar, but apparently conflicting, records end up belonging to the same person, you may eventually notice circumstances that allow for apparent discrepancies, such as a second marriage.
  3. Try to determine who provided critical information in each record. This person is called the “informant.” An informant’s probable reliability depends on the likelihood that they would have firsthand knowledge of a piece of information. For example, Clay Morton would have had firsthand knowledge of his father’s full name, especially since he had his father’s middle name. He would not necessarily have had firsthand knowledge of his father’s birth. Therefore, take things like this into consideration when evaluating this type of evidence.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Books and Memoirs about Handling Family Secrets

• Family by Ian Frazier (Picador): An acclaimed writer turns his attention to 200 years of his family’s middle-class history, revealing their little dramas in the larger picture of their historical context, from the Revolutionary War to the 20th century.
  • Five-Finger Discount: A Crooked Family History (Random House) and Murder in Matera: A True Story of Passion, Family, and Forgiveness in Southern Italy (Dey Street) by Helene Stapinski: A journalist traces her less-than-ennobling family history through the criminal culture of Jersey City, N.J., and back to the mythologized crime of her immigrant ancestor in Italy.
  • Hidden Inheritance: Family Secrets, Memory, and Faith by Heidi B. Neumark (Abingdon Press): A Lutheran pastor discovers her Jewish roots and learns of their Holocaust trauma. Her genealogical journey becomes a spiritual one as she challenges her faith and identity and looks difficult history in the eye.
  • Prague Winter: A Personal Story of Remembrance and War, 1937–1948 by Madeleine Albright (Harper Perennial): The former Secretary of State reflects on her discovery of her Jewish family’s WWII experience and reflects on their experiences and secrets kept for decades.
  • The Slaves Have Names: Ancestors of My Home by Andi Cumbo-Floyd (CreateSpace): A white woman researches the identities and stories of the enslaved people who lived on her family’s plantation and confronts the culture of silence that had kept them hidden from history.
1 Like

wow! I sure hope I didn’t offend anyone with this article

1 Like