Fraudulent Subtitlers

I agree. There was someone who was subbing in spanish in one of my channels using google translated lines.

1 Like

I think you can report the users to the help center. As for the report translation button, I’m afraid the issue will come down to volunteers overwriting said subtitles or the channel manager/moderator locking subtitles in all languages until someone sends a request to subtitle. This would solve/ slow down the pace of the abuse. When it comes to the more obscure languages that have a small following in Viki, there is not much the staff or volunteers can do.

2 Likes

If someone else edits that translation that person won’t have it (the subtitle count) show up on their profile. Problem solved (retroactively).

2 Likes

Only minor edits aren’t shown on the subtitle counter of the editor, but major changes are increasing the numbers of subtitles written by the editor.
At least that is what I experienced.

Or did you mean the edited subtitles will not show on the original subber’s account after they are changed.
You want this as a general solution for any translation or just for those using (your idea of a ) report button.

I think you won’t be able to avoid in reporting the “originator”, because a system of report buttons might not work out the way you want it, given the “history” of former techniques in subtitle editors for subbers. Because Viki has it easier to erase all of the “work” or even delete their account since they went against Viki guidelines.

1 Like

YES YES!! finally someone stood up for this…I’ve been having frustrations too.

1 Like

We’ve all had our share of frustrations over individuals who either think they know English (but they don’t) or know they don’t know English (but still “translate”).

I agree with @lutra that a report button could be misused and abused. But perhaps a standardised form at the help centre webpages to show evidence of deliberately wrong translating or using third-party translation engines?

We’ve also had an alternative discussion on another thread. Instead of punishing negative behaviour, we could reward the positive one by rating the quality of translations.

This is an on-going issue, so here are some threads about it that I know of:

http://discussions.viki.com/t/how-to-make-subtitles/5046

http://discussions.viki.com/t/quality-over-quantity-how-to-avoid-bad-translations-in-subtitling/4183

We should really find a way to avoid that kind of thing to happen as often as it does now. I totally aprove a report translation button.

1 Like

:triumph: Make’s me really MAD that it’s all STILL the same!
They get to become moderators for popular shows that need help with subtitles… & you go check their profiles, you notice that BIG NUMBER under their name stating how many subtitles they’ve submitted so far :hushed:

I choose not to be part of their team. Not with an incompetent language-moderator!

1 Like

Have you reported this/these moderator(s) to the channel managers and to Viki?
Because if you don’t, then of course they will still be there.

3 Likes

Have you informed Viki and the CM’s. I think most CM’s focus on the ‘main team’ meaning the seggers, english subbers and the mods. For all other language mods I only check their process from time to time and if they are active. I cannot check the quality of the subs because I simply don’t know the language. So no complains = nothing is wrong. Also I had abusers on my channel and I was glad someone told me so I could report it to Viki so they could give the users a warning and remove all the subs they made in my channel. If that person didn’t tell me I might not have noticed because as a CM you cannot see everything.

4 Likes

hi everybody
i need advice on how to deal with abusive subbers, the subber in question used punctuation marks into an empty segment so an episode falsely appears fully subbed, in other times she sub few lines, correct translation but not high quality while she is not on the subbing team this in a channel that i’m the language moderator, on another channel i was subtitling, i was surprised that she subbed few lines through the eps in parts i was subbing so i pm the CM and they made me a the language moderator so now i can lock video after i’m done…and i forget to add that she is a moderator for several shows
i did report it to viki… no response yet and PM the 2 CM…however this doesn’t stop her from translating videos…what to do…should i try PM her?

1 Like

I think you’ve done all you really can regarding the situation - locking subs, message any CMs involved, report to Viki. I think you’ll just have to wait for Viki’s response.

As to whether or not you should PM her… Only if you want to. I know some users who will try to discuss with abusers, but if they’re intentionally ‘subbing’ like that, your message probably won’t stop them. And I know other users who will just go straight to reporting the user.

The CMs for the channels she’s moderating should remove her and lock the subs, if they’re able. It doesn’t stop her from subbing entirely, but it should sort of minimize potential damage.

1 Like

thanks xomachi
i appreciate your reply

I agree.
I have only been subbing a few months, but it gives me full appreciation into the effort and time it takes.
I would like to see an easy to use report subbing abuse button too.

I understand the frustration people have world wide who would like to view and cannot due to licensing issues, but getting QC status fraudulently is too offensive to all real subbers.

I have no idea how licensing works. Perhaps the roots of this phenomenon goes back to the issues of licensing restriction.

3 Likes

I did seek Viki’s support.
Someone did respond that they’ll look into it.
A while later, I noticed that fake contributor started actual subtitling and that the section on her profile where the number of her subtitles ought to be seen is missing. They also erased all the parts showing her wrongdoing off her[Recent Contributions]* on her profile page, so people will not find out about it/their shortcoming. But not her 4 language subtitler badges…etc, O she still got them all & enjoying a QCs exclusive right!

No follow up since then.
A very late response to this discussion I started, because I was really hoping to reply with a positive feedback, but… I’m sorry.

The thing is… she filled text editors of full episodes/shows with special elements & not actual subtitles, misguiding viewers as well as real contributors to that shows need to be subtitled. This is beyond outrageous! [Example: check out [English to Arabic] http://www.viki.com/videos/1036646v-a-witchs-romance-episode-1] Unless she goes back and actually subtitle those +65,000 words/lines she falsely claimed at the time, I don’t see how it’s okay to still… yea, I don’t know why I even bothered file that complaint!

I cared too much at the time. My fault.

It should make many wonder if it’s worth their effort to do the actual work or follow that subbers lead. Seeing how things worked out for 1, I’m sure a few have already done that and are enjoying QC-privileges. Anybody care to blame/pursue them?

Ask me if I care anymore.

I did seek Viki’s support. Someone did respond that they’ll look into it.
A while later, I noticed that fake contributor started actual subtitling and that the section on her profile where the number of her subtitles ought to be seen is missing.
They also erased all the parts showing her wrongdoing off her[Recent Contributions]* on her profile page, so people will not find out about it/their shortcoming. But not her 4 language subtitler badges…etc, O she still got them all & enjoying a QCs exclusive right!

No follow up since then.
A very late response to this discussion I started, because I was really hoping to reply with a positive feedback, but… I’m sorry.

The thing is… she filled text editors of full episodes/shows with special elements & not actual subtitles, misguiding viewers as well as real contributors to that shows need to be subtitled. This is beyond outrageous! [Example: check out [English to Arabic] http://www.viki.com/videos/1036646v-a-witchs-romance-episode-1] Unless she goes back and actually subtitle those +65,000 words/lines she falsely claimed at the time, I don’t see how it’s okay to still… yea, I don’t know why I even bothered file that complaint!

I cared too much at the time. My fault.

It should make many wonder if it’s worth their effort to do the actual work or follow that subbers lead. Seeing how things worked out for 1, I’m sure a few have already done that and are enjoying QC-privileges. Anybody care to blame/pursue them?

Ask me if I care anymore.

I know up are about fed up but… there is something called community reputation and it is very real. After being really picky and editing 3 shows the editors and channel moderators have invited me to become editors of other shows they have been in charge of.
They become wonderful colleagues. In that environment it is easy to see who is a good contributor and who is not.
For example one subtitler was caught plagarizing subtitles. This subtitler was removed from all shows since the channel moderators were alerted.
I was also told that certain channel moderators put back subtitles that are incorrect simply because they were there first.
As a viewer and editor that would make me unhappy so I had been warned about that. I also told my fellow editors to look carefully into certain id’s subtitles because they may tend to not fully translate segments (not entirely their fault per se) or share certain strengths about subtitlers to later editors (this person is fast but needs to be heavily English edited for ex).
To me this sort of feedback is valuable and far more lasting. Sure the person may have so many segments and subtitles but if no one likes working with them… wouldn’t the person know that what they did is bad too?

Well, that’s not always the subber’ mistake that they have subs in unrelated languages. If you forget to unlock an episode, the editor takes you to Afar and you have to depend on other people to delete your subs if you don’t notice ans start subbing for a few minutes.

How is it not the subbers mistake? The first thing you should do before you sub is to check if the language settings on top are ok. Next to that you can delete your own subs

Can you? I thought they keep reappearing until someone higher up deletes them.

Ok, the subber should indeed check, but sometimes it’s just that it’s 3am… :slight_smile: