History around the world

No, not yet. But the subtitling goes from English to Dutch, though I do try to pay attention to the original.
I just looked it up. That’s €932,113!!! :open_mouth: And you get 6 lessons for that? Must be some brilliant teacher … :roll_eyes:

This course was great:

And they have a few more Chinese courses. It’s all free, as long as you accept a limited period of access and no certificate. If you want those, you have to pay (but not 1000 sfr, lol).

Coursera has some courses too, haven’t tried them yet:

TofuLearn might help as well:

Memrise:

edX:

And maybe Duolingo:

I think I will end up buying a studybook at some point though. That is what I ended up doing with Korean after some period of online courses. And sure less expensive than that course near you. :wink:

Btw, kanji refers only to the Chinese characters in Japanese, just like the Koreans call them hanja (in old Korean texts, written in Chinese characters). Chinese characters in Chinese are called hanzi.

Can you share the link to that YouTube girl?

Oh, and FutureLearn has some history related courses as well. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

wow thank you for these collection. so much efforts <3

3 Likes

now you see what I mean?

I got dulingo got another one too.

2 Likes

Isn’t the the part from 4:30 to 13:30 of the China’s Dragon Emperor video just the script to every Chinese period drama ever? :joy:

It’s quite shocking how much faith Ying Zheng had in the alchemist beliefs that they could fix a little thing called Death! To the extent he would willingly be a guinea pig for their experimental elixirs until it eventually killed him (historian speculation from another documentary) but I suppose if you managed to achieve such greatness in such a short time, it’s probably the number one bugbear of his that he wouldn’t stick around long enough to enjoy the adulation.

2 Likes

I think or lets call it a speculation that he emotionally couldn’t let go the whole thing he has worked thus hard for. Also, by all the backstabbing and betrayal It would even turn a strong person at some point into a man that suffers from paranoia so he simply could have fear what happens to his efforts after he died, or he didn’t felt secure enough to trust into any suitable heir. Interesting is also, his burial chambers, that literally embody “ill take it all into the grave”. The fact is, he achieved immortality just not the in way he expected.

2 Likes

I found something of interest;

U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum: FREE Online/Virtual Tour via Zoom!

Public · Hosted by Underground Railroad Tours, History & Culture Travels and 2 others

The United States Holocaust Memorial Museum (USHMM) is the United States’ official memorial to the Holocaust. Adjacent to the National Mall in Washington, D.C., the USHMM provides for the documentation, study, and interpretation of Holocaust history. It is dedicated to helping leaders and citizens of the world confront hatred, prevent genocide, promote human dignity, and strengthen democracy.

Since its dedication on April 22, 1993, the Museum has had nearly 40 million visitors, including more than 10 million school children, 99 heads of state, and more than 3,500 foreign officials from over 211 countries. The Museum’s visitors came from all over the world, and less than 10 percent of the Museum’s visitors are Jewish.

The USHMM’s collections contain more than 12,750 artifacts, 49 million pages of archival documents, 85,000 historical photographs, a list of over 200,000 registered survivors and their families, 1,000 hours of archival footage, 93,000 library items, and 9,000 oral history testimonies.
wow, being its virtual, I plan to watch it
reason why I put this here, we were discussing Anne Frank and this had her picture up , to advertise this.

Zoom Meeting Info:
The FREE program is open to all, and since it’s an online/virtual event via Zoom you can connect from anywhere in the world.
To participate simply click the connection info which will be provided via email a day or so beforehand and you can connect via desktop, laptop, mobile devices or similar.
For security reasons the Zoom meeting info is typically emailed as opposed to being posted publicly online.
Aug 2 Sunday at 10 AM – 11:30 AM

1 Like

Uh I found some interesting fodder here :smiley:

1 Like

aliens afoot, launching pads, an electric energy generator, etc etc etc, interest fodder to be sure!! I am watching this. interesting and y’know supposidly atlantis had pyramids, and recently some off the Japanese coast, now if they join somehow. why do they call that guys death mysterious?

1 Like

I dont know why they conspire his death as a mysteries, he was supposedly to have died after a taxi car crash where he never really recovered and there he was already if I remember correct 81 years old. Why there could be an idea of a conspiracy was that the U.S government after his death confiscated all his research documents and as far as I know he was researching on an invention he’d call death ray.

The pyramids are indeed very interesting in a scientifically sense, but sometimes im not sure how far they go into making up things like history Chanel did to spice up some fantastic fantasies to distort realities. But I found this documentation interesting on the fact that the Egyptians intentionally or unintentionally where able to do mathematic as geometric precision and astronomical calculations far more advanced as maybe even now. But dont believe all, take the good, discharge the nonsense :smiley:

2 Likes

I finally found the book.
It says "According to an African myth, death was considered as a giant clothed in long hair. One day, when he was in deep sleep, people set fire to his hair and killed him but a curious boy put the powder of life in one of the giant’s eyes. Thereafter, each time his eye blinks, someone dies. "

3 Likes

Interesting!!!

1 Like

its sort of history :stuck_out_tongue: im so excited

4 Likes

A fascinating video. Thank you for posting!

2 Likes

Did you see this?

The engineering is amazing!!!

2 Likes

This has actually been a big week for Mars exploration. For the first time since 2011, three different nations launched missions to Mars in the same year. (Opportunities to launch only come around every 26 months.) All are expected to arrive in February 2021.

United Arab Emirates - launched a Mars orbiter
China - launched the Tianwen-1 orbiter and rover
USA - launched the Perserverance rover and Ingenuity helicopter

We can look forward to more exploration and discoveries!

4 Likes

if you are interested in China history, theres a link on youtube, that is saying theres pyramids taller than the ones in Giza, reallt awesome documentary, still only 2o minutes long

a topic I found in one of our dramas, qujite interesting!

Introduction: Today tomatoes are a staple food that we hardly stop to think about (except for heirloom tomato aficionados trying to find the fruit with the perfect flavor.) But only a few hundred years ago the attitude toward tomatoes in northern Europe, and among northern European settlers in North America, was quite different. They saw tomatoes as exotic ornamentals, or deadly poisons, or aphrodisiacs, or possibly aids in black magic. This ambivalence is still reflected in the tomato’s scientific name, Lycopersicon esculentum , which translates to “edible wolf peach.” That name was settled on in 1768. Fifteen years earlier Carl Linnaeus, the first botanist to place the tomato in the Latin system of classification, wasn’t so willing to vouch for its edibility; he called it Solanum Lycopersicum , “wolf peach of the nightshade family.” Given the known toxicity of many nightshades, this was hardly reassuring. So how did the tomato get such a bad rap, and how did that change? There are several conflicting stories about that. Here’s some of what historians know and guess

Strong Poison

In England and Germany tomatoes were initially regarded as ornamental but dangerously poisonous. Some people said that their bright red color clearly signaled poisons lurking within. Some were understandably wary since the tomato was closely related to deadly nightshade as well as mandrake (which may or may not have actually had aphrodisiac effects, but was certainly poisonous taken in any significant quantity), and since tomato leaves and stems really were poisonous. Apparently some aristocrats’ experiments with eating tomato fruit did end badly, earning tomatoes the nickname ‘poison apple,” although K. Annabelle Smith at the Smithsonian notes in her article “Why the Tomato Was Feared in Europe for More Than 200 Years” that the fruit wasn’t to blame in itself; pewter dishes were fashionable, the lead in pewter was highly toxic, the strong acids in tomatoes leached lead from the plates, and it was easier to blame the exotic new fruit than to consider the possible dangers of familiar dishes. New life was given to the poison scare in the northern United States by the appearance of tomato hornworms, large green caterpillars with prominent horns on their rear ends. An agricultural journal noted in the 1860s that thirty or forty years earlier the hornworms had been considered poisonous in themselves, and that it had been thought that any fruit they might crawl over would become deadly as well, though the editor saw all such stories as antiquated follies

The Sorcerer’s Tomato

The tomato may also have suffered from scholarly attempts to identify plants discovered in the New World with plants mentioned by ancient authors. Linnaeus, casting around for a Latin name for the tomato, identified it with one of the mystery plants described by the ancient Roman physician Galen. Galen’s lycopersion (the first part of the name is clearly “wolf,” the second rather mysterious, but mis-transliterated in Linnaeus’ time as persicum , ‘peach’) had strong-scented yellow juice and ribbed stalks. Romie Stott’s Atlas Obscura article “When Tomatoes Were Blamed For Witches and Werewolves” suggests that Galen identified tomatoes with wolf peaches because of superstitions concerning witchcraft. For centuries before Linnaeus’ day belief in, and fear of, witchcraft had been widespread. Witch hunters had looked, among other things, for a mysterious ointment said to give witches the power of flight—and also the power of transforming themselves, or other people, into werewolves. Several of the toxic and hallucinogenic nightshades were listed as likely ingredients in this ointment, and the tomato, as usual, shared in the disgrace of its relatives.

and we eat tomatoes without even thinking about these stories! see what we learn from our dramas? well I did google it. But still. thought it was quite interesting.

3 Likes

Unless they are not your friends - at least raw, give it some heat and no problem …

1 Like

oh yeah a lot of people have a reaction due to the acid in them, am I right on that?

The acid is only a problem if you have a problem with acid in general or tend to have gastritis.
As far as I know one point may be histamine intolerance or cross-sensitivity. I can enjoy any tomato product that was preheated, no problem with that but raw, it only needs to touch my tongue or gums. I never managed to eat that much raw tomato to collapse though, but there are people who can’t have any tomato raw or cooked does not matter for them.

2 Likes