History around the world

now thats interesting!! thanks for sharing. I guess a lot of people have allergies we don’t know abouit!

looks like no one has shared lately, I found something of interest, this is an american one, not sure the whole world used them I hope you enjoy this

Augusta Kentucky Historic District

AStrloShuugrausaSptocngus 1o5 at 5:fga0roefSd4 PemMg

·

The History of ‘APRONS’

I don’t think our kids know what an apron is. The principle use of Grandma’s apron was to protect the dress underneath because she only had a few. It was also because it was easier to wash aprons than dresses and aprons used less material. But along with that, it served as a potholder for removing hot pans from the oven.

It was wonderful for drying children’s tears, and on occasion was even used for cleaning out dirty ears.

From the chicken coop, the apron was used for carrying eggs, fussy chicks, and sometimes half-hatched eggs to be finished in the warming oven.

When company came, those aprons were ideal hiding places for shy kids…

And when the weather was cold, Grandma wrapped it around her arms.

Those big old aprons wiped many a perspiring brow, bent over the hot wood stove.

Chips and kindling wood were brought into the kitchen in that apron.

From the garden, it carried all sorts of vegetables. After the peas had been shelled, it carried out the hulls.

In the fall, the apron was used to bring in apples that had fallen from the trees.

When unexpected company drove up the road, it was surprising how much furniture that old apron could dust in a matter of seconds.

When dinner was ready, Grandma walked out onto the porch, waved her apron, and the men folk knew it was time to come in from the fields to dinner.

It will be a long time before someone invents something that will replace that ‘old-time apron’ that served so many purposes.

Send this to those who would know (and love) the story about Grandma’s aprons.

REMEMBER:

Grandma used to set her hot baked apple pies on the window sill to cool. Her granddaughters set theirs on the window sill to thaw.

They would go crazy now trying to figure out how many germs were on that apron.

I don’t think I ever caught anything from an apron - but love

• author unknown
1 Like

almost everything is in Switzerland ridiculously expensive… (almost unrealistic) I have a hard time with some fees and costs… not everyone makes big bucks there…

2 Likes

I know right?! It depends what and where, if you do need advises for traveling expenses or where to find things cheap let me know im glad to help out if needed.

2 Likes

Apropos Switzerland, here have some funny history lesson of my country.

Skep the video to 30s to avoid advertisement.

9:30 thats so typical swiss. The war for the sausage XD. Probably thats where the word “Extrawurst” has rooted of. Its a word like this person always needs an extra portion of something. Another one would be *Swiss German “De fuenfer und s’weggli”, *German “Der 5er und Der Semmel”, that ones hard to translate to English. the The coin *the coin refers specifically to the 5 franc coin we’ve got here and the bun. So literally the tendency of the common swiss person like to take what ever they can and get some extra on top of it. This applies especially to the rules as you can see we are the only non eu country but we are at eu.

3 Likes

image seashells & buttons

2 Likes

Some time ago, I promised in another topic that I would look into German castles and after some time YT found me some videos with Eng subs.
So here some of my favorites, considered that I live in Germany I probably haven’t visited as many as you might think since most near to my region were actually destroyed in wars.

Burg Eltz

https://burg-eltz.de/en/eltz-castle-the-attractions.html

Burg Hohenzollern

One German video as I didn’t find another source with a few views of the inside.
https://burg-hohenzollern.com/#/convious

Wartburg

Unfortunately their page has no English option, so I choose the 360° walk around for you, it should start in the chambers of Elisabeth, the whole room is one big mosaic, it is so stunning to stand there and see those little stones. Just move with the left or right arrow, feel free to stroll around …
https://www.wartburg.de/NR2/

I only put 3 so if there is anything you want to know, I will try to find out.
Hope you like it and have a nice Sunday everyone!

1 Like

I will check the links, thanks! love it! I have always wondered how they back in those times how they put those tall steples on those buildings!

Will need to order the videos somehow something went wrong LOL Give me some moments …

DONE!

@frustratedwriter

thought you might like it
1 Like

and thats on you tube? and why were the ceilings so high in them?? yeah I am going to watch while I eat my lunch!! thanks!

I watched this one and rewatched those other ones. very interesting!

What a great thread. Those are beautiful buildings in India.
Someone mentioned Tomato, I also want to mention chocolate.
Same with Cacao. Chocolate is ubiquitous but Aztecs in Mexico were already cultivating Cacao and the Conquistadors “happened” and chocolate was brought to Europe - I mean , I’m sure there are more details than that but I thought that was fascinating too.

My dears after looking up so many topics at YT finally some videos show up in their suggestions for me.
This place is in my federal state about 40 km into the country. It looks a lot different with the vineyards and all and yet again the traditional dish Saumagen is mentioned. Enjoy!

So this is more of how it looks like at my place more woods around the city.

@frustratedwriter
I know you are interested and maybe you didn’t see this. It is quite long, about those people leaving Germany for America in the 18th century.

Oh, I found another one not really from my area, but still from the Rhine region.

1 Like

I will most definately watch them!

1 Like

Today in Germany take a closer look since it is the 3rd October our date of the national holiday.
Before the re-union of the two German countries, West Germany’s national holiday was the 17th June and East Germany had the 7th October. Now our national holiday has a name “Tag der deutschen Einheit” / Day of German Unity. I remember when I was 38 it was turning point for me, since starting that age I would live longer in a united country than in a divided one. I remember the day the Berlin wall fell, watching the people on TV standing on the wall singing and shouting drinking sparkle wine and I sat on the couch at home and tears were running down my face and I wasn’t even aware of it. (Today Berlin is 700 km away from my hometown, back when it was divided it took longer to go there by car, since you had to go to a certain point entering the border and on the East roads, you needed to drive slower, since the roads were made from plates, and it would sound like this - boom - boom - boom, hopefully your car was in good condition, anyway, you were not supposed to stop there or leave the car and into Berlin you would be checked again)

I remember visiting West Berlin in 1979 with my parents I was 9 years old back then and getting a lecture about German history for the first time, back then museum would not adept the information for children, so I was exposed to some hard facts of my country’s history, such as the nationalism, 3rd Reich, Hitler in the past and those in the present standing next to the wall watching the East Germans guard their border. Seeing flowers left to those who tried to flee the country and lost their lives, all of that left an impression for life inside me. So seeing the German people no longer divided into East and West, I felt such relive.

3 Likes

ok this may be just a tiny bit of the German. found this in one of my craft links. I didn’t know! interesting I thought, and maybe y’all would think it too.
bit late but happy holiday there, and we take our freedom so much for granted. I do remember the wall coming down, and the cheers and all celebrations.
… I do hope you like this little bit of history## Crochet Coasters: Where did they come from?

Crochet CoastersCoasters were not originally designed for the home. In fact, they have a very European backstory. The first coasters were created in 1880 by a German printing company. These first coasters were produced for bars and were originally called “beer mats” and manufactured out of wood pulp. After that, a brewery in the UK began producing coasters to promote a pale ale. Coasters can also be traced back to the use of saucers with tea in Europe. It seems people have been invested and worried about protecting their tabletops for a long time. Today, beverage coasters are made out of all sorts of materials and DIY coasters can be found in just about any crafting niche, including crochet coaster patterns.

3 Likes

Stanton was the birthplace of actress Virginia Christine, known as “Mrs. Olson,” from Folgers coffee. They celebrated the connection, along with its own Scandinavian coffee roots, by transforming its water tower into the World’s Largest Coffee Pot.
In May 2015 the tower was taken down, but the giant coffee pot was saved and mounted at ground level so that coffee-lovers can pose next to it for photos.

You’ll find this gorgeous covered bridge at Wilkinson Park in Rock Falls, Iowa. It’s one of only two covered bridges in the state that you can still drive across!

2 Likes

I’ve seen this topic and my bookshelf is full of books on the topic, but considering the recent guidlines pointed out to me in another topic I wonder if I can get into this? Since at the end of the day, history is intertwined with societal issues and there is usually more than one perspective.
For example there where talk about ancient china in this thread, in this vain I find the Han dynasty fascinating. The Han dynasty had a lot of enemies, among them the Xiongnu, who scholars believe to have been a early Turkic tribe in modern Mongolia, before the Mongolians. Anyways, there where frequent wars between the Han and Xiongnu, as well as trade, but finally “ending” in the Han–Xiongnu War. This caused a series of events that eventually led to the exodus of the Xiongnu from Mongolia and led to Attila the Hun that we know of in European history. So without these conflicts in China, Europe would never have experienced the Huns and history would have looked very different. I find it amazing that how China and Europe could affect each other so profoundly even though they barely knew of each other, let alone had any direct contact.

@faywartune_545 linked a doc to Qin Shi Huang, he/she essentially built the structure for the later Han dynasty, and his unified China only lasted for something like 15 years. Qin Shi Huang has thus had a massive impact in a short time period.

2 Likes