History around the world

The other topic was about what wasn’t allowed to prevent/because of heated arguments in Discussions and most people who are genuinely interested in history are pretty level headed. History is fixed and no amount of conspiracy theory or history denying is going to change it. If you find yourself embroiled in a heated argument over history, present the facts and it’s up to the other person to accept or reject it depending if they are coming at it on an emotional level, in which case it’s better to walk away than to try and ‘win the argument’ even if you know they are wrong, 9 times out of 10 those people aren’t really interested in facts.
“Facts don’t care about your feelings”, “Never argue with idiots…” and all that.

1 Like

I don’t really agree, history has lots of different interpretations and the facts are also often incomplete. Plus few ppl actually can be classified as “idiots”, ppl just can’t argue etc. one such example could be the late bronze age collapse. Maybe the most important event for the today’s world in human history. Since we know very little of it, ppl can interpret the facts in many different ways that reinforces different ideologies and religions etc.

2 Likes

It was just in reference to the community guidelines having politics, race and religion being no no’s and we do have those subject in the past. As you suggest, would it be wrong to discuss politics or religion if it caused certain event in history?
Totally agree on

That’s the problem, those people either have preconceived ideas (conspiracy theory, another no no) or brought up with very strong religious beliefs that makes them very emotional in their debating methods, often descending to heated arguments rather than a civilised discussion. Hence the Mark Twain quote “Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”
So it’s best to stick to the guidelines and not give them an excuse to argue with you, sure it makes for a very clean history around here but I’m sure you’ll have a wealth of slightly obscure history that others might find interesting yet still falls within the community guidelines.

Yes, history is open to a lot of interpretation, with the amount of written history decreasing the further back we go and even with recording of oral history is with the caveat that it’s being watered down with each successive generation by the time of documentation. Falling back to archaeological evidence to form the rest of what we know.
Such as Egyptologist fixed the age of the Sphinx and to some degree affect some Egyptian historical timelines. Then some upstart like Schoch and West comes along with archaeological evidence that could, if proven to be correct, force the Egyptologist to consider having to make corrections to their history book. (that would be interesting to see just how ‘flexible’ history really is :rofl:)
Even with Qui Shi Hung’s history, it wasn’t from reports in The Qin Daily but a story written long after he died. (er guys, was anyone keeping notes?)

2 Likes

I agree with all you said, except for the passive aggressive part of avoiding talking in-case someone might challenge you in an ‘flame war’ manner. Imo, you just don’t have to engage and let yourself be provoked to respond if the person is barking nonsense, and then engage with those that can argue. :slight_smile:

With Qin Shi Huang and similar figures, you usually have much later sources talking about them, but they might refer or allude to earlier sources which don’t exist anymore. This seems to be the case with the Shang dynasty, which up until ~1950 (don’t remember the exact years), when the Erlitou culture (archeological culture) was discovered, confirming that the Shang dynasty probably existed and is represented archeologically in Erlitou. :smiley:

1 Like

Heh Heh, I don’t doubt for a second that you couldn’t handle yourself in a flame war, I didn’t mean you specifically about the guidelines, I should have phrased it better in the third person. Those are there for those that can’t handle the situation, when a bunch of equally emotional people let the situation get ugly real quick and as usual, it’s the noisy minority that makes the most noise.
I mean if you talked about the black plague of Europe, or the history of the Spanish flu here in context, it would be allowed it’s just that we can’t talk about Mr Wuhan because he got put on the no fly list because of some incident that got out of hand recently on this forum.

3 Likes

well that sure isn’t what I meant for this to happen! I 'd like to know a bit about other countries and all, not all that political stuff, sure I know wars and politics and whatever has a big ruling about all this. but like I said all I want to do is learn more about our world, and iof this is going way out of context then I guess this should stop right now. that was not my intention!

1 Like

Don’t worry I won’t make any more trouble. Plus I actually think we didn’t brake any rules. No need panic from a actually enjoyable little debate :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No, nothing is going on here, I’m just having a chat (and quite a refreshing one at that ) with Mattlock about his caution over the guidelines, you yourself inadvertently triggered something in the community guideline somehow posting humour of all things! Sure it couldn’t have been nice to have been made out to be a criminal for no reason at all but as other have said don’t take it to heart.

3 Likes

well this time I did! took it to heart. and what did I do to break any rules!!

1 Like

Yes, it was a bit mean for them to not tell you, especially as you always play strictly by their rules, and just like the saying about learning from history, if they don’t tell you what you did wrong how in the world can they expect you not to repeat it?!

1 Like

@frustratedwriter I’m sorry if me being new and still figuring this place out spooked you :slight_smile: I tend to like to openly talk about things, this might not be the last time I manage to spark a debate or two :confused: :slight_smile:

1 Like
 a castle in Dunnottar Castle, near Stonehaven, Scotland

Visions of Ireland & Scotland
imageCenturies of Scotland’s kings and queens, including Robert the Bruce are buried at the town’s abbey. The clock tower is the former city administration building, completed in 1879.

image tokyo tower and the full moon

Beautiful curves.

Rock of Cashel, County Tipperary, Ireland

1 Like

Christ Church Cathedral, Dublin.

You think I can get this door at Home Depot?

2 Likes

what better way to see the world here or google it. I am not able to travel so why not do it this way!

heres something fun. bridges somewhere around in the world

there was more but thought this was enough

image awesome!!!

image anyone for Germany?

4 Likes

Die Bremer Stadtmusikanten :grinning::grinning:

@frustratedwriter thank you for the pictures
What great bridges there are, And bridges, I do not want to cross them :scream: :grin:

3 Likes

ok so its close to christmas, I found something I didn’t know, so thought I would share

THE STORY OF ST NICHOLAS

1. Saint Nicholas was a Greek Christian bishop born sometime around 280 A.D. (approximately 1738 years ago) near Myra in Lycia, a province of the Byzantine Anatolia (now located in Turkey). He was famous for his generous and anonymous gifts to the poor. He once helped three impoverished daughters of a local Christian with dowries (dropping a sack of gold through their window each night) so that they wouldn’t have to become prostitutes.

2. Given his birthplace, the real St Nicholas likely looked very different from the image of Santa Claus most people know today. He almost certainly had an oil skin tone, brown eyes, and grey/silver hair. When scientists reconstructed his face using forensic technology, they discovered that the future saint had a badly broken nose. They surmised that he had received the injury during the persecution of Christians under the rule of Emperor Diocletian, who famously divided the Roman Empire.

3. The saint is also commonly known as Nicholas the Wonderworker, due to the many miracles attributed to his intercession. These include tales of him calming stormy seas, chopping down a tree that was possessed by a demon, and saving three innocent soldiers from being put to death.

4. In 1087, the Italian city of Bari mounted an expedition to locate the tomb of the Christian Saint and procure his remains in order to attract tourism to the area. The reliquary of St Nicholas was desecrated by Italian sailors and the spoils were taken to Bari, where they are kept to this day.

5. St. Nicholas has been the world’s most popular non-Biblical saint for centuries. Led by Erik the Red and later his son, newly converted Christian Leif Eriksson, the Vikings were the first Europeans to arrive in the New World. In 1126 they built a cathedral dedicated to Nicholas, who is the patron saint of sailors, merchants, students, and more. Christopher Columbus named a port in Haiti for St. Nicholas in 1492, and the Spanish also named the St. Nicholas Ferry settlement (now Jacksonville, Florida) after him.

NAMES FOR SANTA CLAUS AROUND THE WORLD

Belgium- Pere Noel
Brazil- Papai Noel
Chile- Viejo Pascuero (“Old Man Christmas”)
China- Dun Che Lao Ren (“Christmas Old Man”)
Czech Republic- Svatý Mikuláš
Netherlands- Kerstman
Finland- Joulupukki
France- Pere Noel
Germany- Weihnachtsmann (“Christmas Man”)
Hawaii- Kanakaloka
Hungary- Mikulas (St. Nicholas)
Italy- Babbo Natale
Japan- Hoteiosho (a god or priest who bears gifts)
Norway- Julenissen (“Christmas gnome”)
Poland- Swiety Mikolaj (St. Nicholas)
Russia- Ded Moroz (“Grandfather Frost”)
Sweden- Jultomten (“Christmas brownie”)
United Kingdom- Father Christmas.

I hope you enjoytthis have a great and blessed day!

1 Like

Who knew that he was Greek!

2 Likes

I sure didn’t!, Roman maybe, even German!!

2 Likes

this is beautiful, and can you believe it kills the tree when it winds around it?
image A 200-year-old Wisteria Tree in Japan. 💜💜

3 Likes

To celebrate the rice harvest, artists in Northern Japan create giant animal sculptures from leftover rice straw.

Amazing zorba sirtaki dance 💙

Greek music, Greek dance 🇬🇷

OoooooPaaaaaaA 🕺💃

🎥 @
Shakallis Dance School

this ios one dcance I would love to learn! and our Greek people I hope you like this

NhutoogveelSmoberh o2SSpatht2so nastsotr i7f:20r PeuudMg ·

The first volume in the long-running girl detective series, “The Secret of the Old Clock,” was published 90 years ago under the pseudonym Carolyn Keene. In a tribute to the iconic sleuth, author Theodore Jefferson writes, “Agency. It is that which forms the foundation for any hero’s ability to save the day. In America, agency for teenage girls in literature made its debut in 1930 in the person of Nancy Drew.” This original Mighty Girl character paved the way for many more heroic female characters and inspired generations of real-life girls and women.

Ghostwritten by Mildred Wirt Benson and later revised by Harriet Stratemeyer Adams, the first volume of Nancy Drew had a huge influence on young readers. Jefferson writes, Nancy Drew provided them with “stories of someone like themselves who had a positive effect on the world instead of passively sitting at home… She is a character with that magical ‘what if’ question woven into her identity, and one that effortlessly captures the imaginations of readers by allowing them to participate in a world where the answers to that question are just as entertaining as the stories themselves.”

At the time, some viewed Nancy Drew as a poor role model, “contradicting adults while she squared off with the villains… she is mechanically inclined and at the same time doesn’t act like most people in the 1930s would have expected a teenage girl to act.” In fact, many libraries and bookstores refused to carry the Nancy Drew stories. Despite – or because of – that disapproval, kids collected the books voraciously, and in the midst of the Depression, used copies were shared and traded like trading cards are today. As a result, “any kid, even those who couldn’t afford new books, would very likely get to read every adventure starring their favorite character.”

The tremendous influence of Nancy Drew continues to this day asserts Jefferson: “It is difficult to overstate how powerful Nancy Drew’s presence remains in literature."

this is from my neck of the woods,(NC<USA) and I really forgot about it! this song was popular and I think a movie was made . interesting a murder and they sang about it!! I am trying to find it on youtube, but havent gotten it yet. But I hope you like the history anyway

Tom Dooley

Song by The Kingston Trio

aL

“Tom Dooley” is a North Carolina folk song based on the 1866 murder of a woman named Laura Foster in Wilkes County, North Carolina, allegedly by Tom Dula.

The song is best known today because of a hit version recorded in 1958 by The Kingston Trio, which reached No. 1 in Billboard and the Top 10 on the Billboard R&B listing, and appeared in the Cashbox Country Music Top 20.

The song was selected as one of the American Songs of the Century by the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA), the National Endowment for the Arts, and Scholastic Inc. Members of the Western Writers of America chose it as one of the Top 100 Western songs of all time
https://youtu.be/VhXuO4Gz3Wo

2 Likes