History buffs

ok we love a good cup of coffee, right? well heres some historical something you might like

2 Likes

1 Like

one of my favorite authors

Deeply hurt by the death of her mother, thirty-five-year-old Agatha Christie was still trying to overcome her grief when her husband of twelve years suddenly announced that he was in love with another woman and wanted a divorce. The twin shocks threw Agatha into a deep state of depression. Feeling that the best of life was behind her, she saw little reason to go on living. Only concern for her seven-year-old daughter saved her from suicide.

Born into an affluent English family in 1890, Agatha Miller was a precocious child who taught herself to read at age four and quickly developed what would be a lifelong devotion to books. At age 22 she met Archie Christie, a dashing young pilot. The couple fell in love and were married on Christmas Eve in 1914. They spent most of the next four years separated by World War I, settling afterwards in London. Their only child, Rosalind, was born in 1919. By the time her marriage to Archie fell apart, Agatha had published five well-received detective novels, but she could hardly have expected the success that awaited her.

In time Agatha began to recover from the pain of her failed marriage. She resumed writing and, to boost her spirits, took a trip on the Orient Express. Then, in 1930 a friend invited her to come along on a trip to an archeological dig in Iraq. There she met Max Mallowan, a prominent archeologist thirteen years her junior. They fell in love and were married later that year, a happy marriage that would last until Agathaā€™s death 46 years later.

At the end of 1926, Agatha Christie may have thought that her life was no longer worth living, but she was entirely wrong about that. In the years that followed she not only found the love of her life, but she also enjoyed her greatest success, becoming the best-loved author on earth, with over 70 best-selling novels as well as the longest-running play in history. Her husband Max was knighted in 1968 and three years later Agatha was made a Dame of the British Empire.

Agatha Mary Clarissa Miller Christie Mallowan died at age 85 on January 12, 1976, forty-six years ago today. With over two billion copies sold, she is the best-selling novelist in history.

The photo is of Agatha Christie in 1926.

[her books were my world when I was growing up

2 Likes

I discovered the story about her disappearance for a time, interesting & intriguing!~! too long of to put here

1 Like

Wow! What a touching story, Iā€™ve never knew how it started even the song. Very often unfortunate folks at their end of their live hood meet ā€œFortuneā€! :heart_eyes::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

My son had in junior high an essay about Marie Curie. I remember we bought a thick book of her biography. - As kids learnt I learnt with them :slight_smile: .

Marie Sklodowska Curie (1867-1934) was a Polish and naturalized-French physicist and chemist. Curie was a pioneer in researching radioactivity, winning the Nobel Prize in Physics in 1903 and Chemistry in 1911. Curie never worked on the Manhattan Project, but her contributions to the study of radium and radiation were instrumental to the future development of the atomic bomb.

Curie died in 1934 of radiation-induced leukemia, since the effects of radiation were not known when she began her studies. In 1995, her and Pierreā€™s remains were moved to the PanthĆ©on, the French National Mausoleum, in Paris. She was the first woman to receive that honor on her own merit.

You can read more about her bio here:

After Marie diedā€¦ herself and possessions still radiate to this dayā€¦

4 Likes

they also put her in a lead coffin, she is still ā€œactiveā€ if I recall my reading about this a few months ago

1 Like

I posted an article about this in my postā€¦ not only her but also her notes are in lead boxes and furnishing and her belongings are still somewhat radioactiveā€¦ interesting!!

2 Likes

wow! I didnā€™t know that! I didnā€™t see that second one, I will read it in a bit. thanks oh my goodness! they painted themselves???

1 Like

I remember seeng this as a little girl, ,

Quilting

Gaby Hadyka Ā· 20h Ā·

The Quilting Bee: The origin of ā€œbeeā€ comes from dialectal ā€˜beenā€™ or ā€˜beanā€™ (meaning ā€œhelp given by neighborsā€) and a Quilting Bee started out as an important means of socializing for colonial and pioneer women (and men). Through the winter months, the women would piece their quilt tops. Since there was no central heating in these homes, there was usually only one main heated room that was too crowded during the winter months for a quilt frame to be assembled. When the weather became warmer, an invitation was sent to the surrounding neighbors for the quilting bee.

On the day of the quilting bee, the quilters would arrive early and begin marking the quilt top which had been put into the quilt frame by the hostess. Very often, plates, thimbles and tea cups were used to mark the quilting patterns. The quilters would then being to quilt the top while exchanging conversation. The quilt had to finished before the husbands and beaus showed up in the late afternoon when dinner was served to all, the hostess being given a chance to show off her cooking skills. After dinner, there was very often a square dance or country dance with fiddles accompanying the dancers. The quilting bee was an important part of the social life of these people surpassed only by religious gatherings.

(By Jean Robinson)

2 Likes

Jasper National park

3 Likes

Neuschwanstein Castle, Bavaria, Germany.

2 Likes

Marblehead Lighthouse(Ohio)

2 Likes

4 Likes

Salt Mountain, Iran. More info: [themindcircle.com/salt-glaciers-iran/](https://l.facebook.com/l.php?

This tree decided to climb over the wall to explore the big wide world šŸ˜Š

Photographed in Yorktown, Virginia by Davci Pahssen

ThE LaYeRS šŸ˜āš’ļøā¤ļø

Hormuz Island, Iran šŸ‡®šŸ‡·

Desp-"Hormoz, is an Iranian island in the Persian Gulf. Located in the Strait of Hormuz, 8 kilometres (5 mi) off the Iranian coast, the island is part of Hormozgan Province. Reddish ochre on the island and its beaches, called Golak by natives, has been exploited for artistic and culinary purposes and also attracts tourists.

With its colorful soils, salt caves and mountains, and ocher-stained streams and beaches, Iranā€™s Hormuz island iā€¦

See more

3 Likes

all I can say is WOW

This bulbous red cedar grows along the trail to the Cheewhat Giant (Canadaā€™s largest tree) in the [Pacific Rim National Park Reserve](https://www.facebook.com/PacificRimNPR?

The Zamalek tree (Banyan tree), located on a street in Cairo, is 152 years old.

Where it was brought from India by order of Khedive Ismail and was planted in this street in 1868 AD.

Credit: Twitter|abdulkarim_900

awesome!!

Daisugi, the 600-year-old Japanese technique of growing trees out of other trees. More info: [themindcircle.com/sustainable-forestry/](https://l.facebook.com/l.php?

oh my goodness another tree!!

Amazing Boabab tree in Madagascar

this is how big a redwood is

3 Likes

What amazing photos!

3 Likes

heres another tree, this one is amazing cause it went through the Hiroshima blast. was planted in 1625
and still growing.

how about a cloud tree?

5 Likes

Dolphin Island ,Italy

3 Likes

Lightening above the clouds

The Elephant Rock in Iceland. WOW

3 Likes