How do I find people's profiles on Viki?

There are some people I’d like to follow so I can see which projects they’re intending to work on, and offer to be part of them. Also to learn a bit from how they do their work. I can’t figure out a way to look for people on the site, though. Is there a way to do it?

(Not this discussions site, but the main one, where we have our profiles).

7 Likes

Hee hee… this is top-secret :joy:
Go to your Viki profile.

Change your username to the one you want in the URL box

Found you!

17 Likes

Oohh - thanks!

4 Likes

She @vivi_1485 is really good, Knows her stuff, and is nice enough to share her knowledge of things. She deserves the credit.
[In case you don’t know this part]
Don’t forget once you get to the profile page in order to ‘‘follow them’’ you must click (+) on the cross (next to the envelope and flag)
The cross will become a check mark. image

8 Likes

…Lol! :joy:

6 Likes

I’ll share it here. It could be very useful while making cover pages since people tend to change their usernames, but because of that, they might “unlink” their profiles from cover pages.

https://www.viki.com/users/shraddhasingh/overview
This is my profile URL with my username on it. If I change my username in future, no one will be able to reach my profile through this link.

1. Right click on the user’s page and select “inspect”

2. A sidebar will open with details of whatever page you’re at. Click on “sources”:

3. Open the folders named 0.viki.io or 1.viki.io, you’ll find that user’s fixed account number there, then go through the folders titled “u”:

4. There will be one user account with two profile pictures in it. That one is that particular user’s profile number. Mine is 45673731u

And this is my permanent account link, no matter how many times I change my username, anyone can reach my profile by clicking on this link:
https://www.viki.com/users/go/45673731u

Well, it’s definitely a lengthy process and there might be an easier way to do this. I see cover pages from older shows that have moderators’ names linked this way. This trick isn’t useful for finding people but for saving their accounts (somewhere?)

12 Likes

thanks mam!

5 Likes

Thanks @shraddhasingh, I can check not only this, but to see if others have really left. So many have their profile still available, but I keep hearing they are no longer here, I hope they come back though, they are missed. I first visited discussions when I first logged in, like so many, then left, and came back in 2016, and then left again, and came back in 2021.

6 Likes

@shraddhasingh

Is giving all this information about your own profile safe to do?

Do you know why anyone would keep changing their name? Do you think they do it because they’re hiding something?

Thanks for sharing this info.

As far as I know there are plenty abusers who Viki does nothing about and they change usernames in case their subs are removed etc…so this may be useful info to avoid those people

5 Likes

This information is publicly visible. I can go to your profile and change your username, your profile picture, shows you worked on under your nose, and you won’t even know about it. The reason is that it does not change anything on Viki’s server but on my machine. Once I refresh the page, everything gets back to normal. This is what we call “front-end development,” making cosmetic changes on a website. An example:
This is your account link: https://www.viki.com/users/go/11775304u

It would be bad to say only abusers change their username. The reason could be anything. Maybe someone had those numbers in their username that Viki automatically gives upon creating an account, after having those numbers for quite a lot of time, they want to remove it. Maybe someone made a typo in their username and realize it after a very long time and now want to get rid of it. Maybe someone just wants to change their username from “pinkrose” to “rosepink”

7 Likes

and why would you want to find peoples profiles, reminds me of scammers

2 Likes

Thank so much for all the information you so clearly, and nicely explained here because it brings great relief for me to know that you said

I can go to your profile and change your username, your profile picture, shows you worked on under your nose, and you won’t even know about it. The reason is that it does not change anything on Viki’s server but on my machine.

I was worried that anyone could take over our page, and make changes that can in any way deface our information, but you said it stays the same on Viki’s server. Although I have information in my page about my contribution projects that I don’t agree I worked in them, but since those shows/dramas are no longer available here, it doesn’t bother me.

But what does bother me that I’m missing a lot of projects in my page that I worked as a Spanish subber, and they are not showing up, so this is a bit disconcerting. Since you seem to be very savvy, please tell me, in your opinion this access to our information to anyone that wants to do so here at viki; Can it be legally considered ‘‘invasion of privacy torts?’’

I’m a bit worried on that end now that you informed me all this because in the past, I found out about certain people who worked through pages that volunteers had abandoned, and left opened. That can be possible, right or wrong?

Well, newbies often apply for subbing or to be part of the segging academy, but they change their profile in the meantime.

So they sometimes come back and complain why nobody took them into a project as subbers, while in fact the Mod had hard time finding them and ultimately gave up. :woman_shrugging:

5 Likes

In my case, I had chosen “translate” as my original user id, only to find out later that all my comments in the Team Discussion section were being censored, because apparently the word “translate” is one of the blocked words. I tried changing my userid to “translator” and other variations initially, but eventually, I decided to change it to something completely different, and that’s why I became “napalkkot.” Honestly, I don’t love my “new” userid, so I might be changing it again, if I can think of a better id. :smile:

4 Likes

@frustratedwriter

It doesn’t look safe at all for anyone to have free access to our information which should be kept confidential from the Public. I’m glad and grateful @shraddhasingh told us about this. It has answered so many questions I had before.

In my opinion, not even Moderators should have access to this open files. ONLY one or two Official staff members from RViki should have access to this with a valid reason also, like when they need to track an abuser’s work. I’m beyond shocked with this. No wonder even spammers get to send PM to so many volunteer’s here.

3 Likes

@napalkkot

Summary

Do you want suggestion for a new user ID?

Just give us a few hints of your favorite things, and things you think might hint us what will match you with your user ID.

Just a thought that flower in your avatar is known as Bellflower that’s a cute username.

Good Luck in your search for a new username.

2 Likes

Thanks, but it’s actually a picture of Morning Glory, which is 나팔꽃 (napalkkot) in Korean. I was going to use MorningGlory for my userid, but someone else already took it. I don’t mind napalkkot, but I just don’t like the romanization of this word. I thought of spelling it like napalggot, but that looks even worse.

5 Likes

@napalkkot

Summary

You made me laugh, thanks. I needed that so much because the day today was rough for me healthwise. Morning Glory is beautiful, is too bad someone beat you to it. We have a fruit in my Island called napal (which I detest the taste) lol

At least your user name is very original so that’s a good thing. You should just keep it.

2 Likes

Not that I know a lot about it, but I do not think it can be considered “invasion of privacy.” We learnt HTML and other stuff by experimenting with other already made sites. Here’s one example:

The “more private” information is not publicly visible but it stays at the server. What is publicly visible is just the look of a page. If you consider a website as a human body, then the organs and skeleton is what stays at the server, people can’t access these “organs and skeleton (passwords and private info)” just by doing something to the “skin and face (how the website looks)” of the page.

As for the projects that you claim you did not work on, they are inside the “skeleton,” anyone on internet can’t access what’s inside the “skeleton” by playing with “skin.”

5 Likes