How is your quarantine going?

:astonished: What strikes me so, You are all so gifted, In many ways
So gifted for language, Yes anyway
 and you can express yourself so nicely factually :blush: You should be proud of yourselves, all of you. :star_struck::smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

Thank you, Gaby. So should you! You are a great person! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I have to score, I want to fly with my angels at some point :innocent: :smirk:

3 Likes

I went to do laundry today and traffic was hectic bc it was phase 2 ppl back to work etc
As always mask on at all time with 90 degree weather.

I can’t shake the eerie feeling when I’m around ppl or they cough non stop. Life will never be the same.

1 Like

Well said :blush:

1 Like

sounds good, !

ok dummy here, so whats the difference in the Dutch language and German language?

1 Like

Good question!
Of course, Dutch is spoken in The Netherlands and Belgium and also in Suriname, Aruba, Curaçao and Sint Maarten.
German is mainly spoken in Germany, Austria and Switzerland and as a minority language in a few other countries.
Dutch and German are related to each other, they are both West Germanic languages (and so is English!). So we have quite a lot in common. But there are also big differences. German for example still has grammatical cases, while Dutch dropped those long ago, except for the genitive, which most languages still have, and some cases in old expressions.
The sound is different, though you may not immediately notice that if you’re not a native in one of them.
Pronunciation is to some extent similar, but in some cases totally different.
Dutch has a lot of words with double vowels (aa, uu, oo, ee), which German (except maybe for some dialects) doesn’t.
In German all nouns are written with capitals, in Dutch not.

Some words are the same, but declined differently, for example:

child = kind (Dutch) / Kind (German)
children = kinderen (Dutch) / Kinder (German)

German has the ß, which Dutch doesn’t have. In Dutch it’s called the Ringel-S, in German Eszet.

German has the ĂŒ. We don’t have it in Dutch except for German loanwords in Dutch, like â€œĂŒberhaupt”. We do have the sound, but we write it differently: it’s our long u (written either as uu or as u, depending on how many consonants follow it). Our short u (always written as u) is a sound that German doesn’t have.
The way the u is pronounced in German, is in Dutch written as “oe”. For example: Cow = koe (Dutch)/ Kuh (German).

The Dutch g (and ch) is pronounced like this:

The German g is pronounced like the g in “gangster”.

Dutch has the “ij”, German doesn’t.

Well, there are lots of differences actually. But let me show it in some songs.

German:

Dutch:

And did you ever hear Afrikaans? It’s a daughter language of Dutch and we can easily understand it without ever learning it! Here’s an example:

Afrikaans:

3 Likes

@frustratedwriter
Hope this information is of interest for you.

later added:
I remembered watching another video and now YT suggested them again.

And I found a video about comparing the languages from the Netherlands and Germany. @mirjam_465

2 Likes

Pennsylvania Dutch has nothing with Dutch language as in Holland. Dutch comes actually from the old Deitsch (German) in Swiss German “DĂŒtsch”. Many origin Amish were from Switzerland with the Swiss German dialect. As for Dachweggeli in Swiss German -wĂ€geli. Anyway you can read more here:

I saw once this movie and liked it, sometimes a simple way of life can bring more happiness :wink:

2 Likes

Loved the last one! Very informative and a good summary of the languages, thank you <3
EDIT: Gonna subscribe his channel!

@rose_shn
Gern geschehen, und 

Toi, toi, toi - fĂŒr deine PrĂŒfungen, das wird schon. :four_leaf_clover:

ich wollte letztens noch schreiben, aber manchmal werde ich beim Lesen unterbrochen mach irgendwann die Tabs zu, wenn es zu viele werden und vergesse dann das Topic. Aber an dein “Bild” kann ich mich erinnern, also nutze ich hier die Gelegenheit. DrĂŒck dir die Daumen.

1 Like

Vielen Dank fĂŒrs Anfeuern! Ich habe mit einer 1,7 bestanden. Bin mega happy, dass ich das hinter mir habe, oh man :sweat_smile::rofl::heart:

3 Likes

I will translate if for you guys as well: Thank you for cheering me on! I’am done and got a 1,7 NC(average mark). I am so happy that I have this behind me :relaxed:

2 Likes

CONGRATULATIONS!!! So happy for you; this is one step more towards a bright future.

1 Like

Thank you dear! I want to earn money asap because I am broke af because of the pandemic x.x I hope that I will find a good job :confounded:

1 Like

@rose_shn
GlĂŒckwunsch! :bouquet: Alles Gute fĂŒr die Jobsuche, viel GlĂŒck beim Start ins Berufsleben!

1 Like

Danke dir, Liebes! Bin gespannt, was ich so finde aufgrund der Pandemie ^^’

@rose_shn Do you have your Viki Volunteer Appreciation doc? I think it would also look good on your resume in regards team work, time management and creative arts :wink:
Good luck job hunting, you worked so hard!! :four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

Das ist doch toll, freut mich fĂŒr dich :slight_smile: