How long does the fast subtitle take to complete?

That’s true. It does take extra time to add italics, breaks, music notes, etc.

3 Likes

What do you mean “copy-paste” italics and break signs? I type them… :confused:

I write subs in Greek and I have 4 different keyboard layouts installed (Greek, English, Korean, French), so if I want to change from GR to EN to type “b”, “i” etc I have to rotate through all for of them to get back. Which is irritating. So I have a txt file with things like that open and I just copy paste from there.

(Please don’t be offended, I’m just saying this because I’ve met people that didn’t know it, but Greek language has a different alphabet, not the Latin one, so the letters are not the same.)

3 Likes

I side stepped this problem by having the Korean keyboard which lets me toggle between English and Korean in one key.

I uninstalled English keyboard so useless :stuck_out_tongue:

I actually am a bad subber and skip formatting altogether sometimes. But I also do blindly copy ost from team notes which I think most people don’t like to do. Usually that’s all that’s left.

2 Likes

About the subtitle issue I am in some dramas listed but in many of them I don’t see anything. It’s ok anyway as long as the sub count is there. I keep track on them from time to time. Thank you. Have a nice day or evening?

Maybe the moderator hasn’t added you? Why not ask her?

1 Like

Re: formatting marks while subtitling:

I also did the txt file thing at the beginning. Nowadays I find it easier to just copy paste the English subtitle with its formatting, then select the English and type the Greek over it to replace it.
And I don’t use the toggle to change keyboard. Because if you have more than two languages, toggling is a hassle. You can put keyboard shortcuts from Control Panel --> Keyboards and Languages
I have set it to
CTRL+1 =English
CTRL+2 =Greek
CTRL+3 = Italian
CTRL+4=Korean.

3 Likes

I’m being too lazy? lol…also, some of the dramas we already finished translating. Thanks for everything …:slight_smile:

1 Like

I do both, it depends on the mood. Still, it would be easier if there were a tool in the subtitle editor.

I had the different languages assigned to shortcuts in my previous laptop (Vista). I can’t make it work with Win10, though.

Really, Win 10 doesn’t allow you to do that? That sucks! I’ll never put Windows 10 then (I have Windows 7 and am perfectly happy with them)

1 Like

Oh, of course, “i” and “br” are the problem! I was thinking maybe you wouldn’t have <> signs on the greek keyboard.

Lol! Why would I be offended? :smiley: But I learned something during these discusisons and now I feel old and wise and eager to share. I learned that, if you ever want to mention something and are not sure if a person’s gonna get offended, you go: “Since the Greek keyboard has a completely different alphabet,…” I think it kinda allows you to put that information out there without directly talking to the person and risking offence.

1 Like

I LOVE IT when the English team blindly copy-pasts the OST. Like, I get so frustrated when half way in the show someone catches the creativity bug and sometimes completely changes the meaning of the lyrics. Forgive me, but I tend to ignore those and copy-paste my own translated lyrics.

1 Like

I am guilty of that actually sorry.

Sometimes we might forget a word or two or three as a team or I realize there’s a way to follow the Korean order so then I do it and note it in TD. They will then get renormalized usually.

The English team itself… I found we overall doesn’t care much for lyrics. Only CG and the fans and editors. Cgwm really has a knack for making the lyrics pretty. I basically spew 'em out and move on.

2 Likes

Hmmm… Now that explains lots of things, LOL!

1 Like

I’m one of those who do not care for OST too much. I normally just copy and paste if it’s in the team note, without checking the translations for it. I only check it when some people (normally other language subbers) ask questions on the meaning. Then I’d go back and fix the translation. If it’s not in the team note and there’s seg for it, then I’ll translate.

I personally find it a bit distracting when there is an actual dialogue and the song lyric within the same seg.

1 Like