How long does the fast subtitle take to complete?

What? The desktop notifications?

Yes.

We have a gang of 6 ajummas or so. All extremely fast and proficient. We got real lucky that day. I canā€™t believe it happened. In theory if we always have one person take a part who is 95%+ we can get something done in 30-45 min (the entire ep). And it happened!!!

Then of courseā€¦people go why are you slow!! (only to forget we actually only started less than 2 hrs ago and finished well within 2 hrs). I did my ONE part exited and saw all the other parts were 100% or close to it. I was amazed.

2 Likes

yeah.

I hate them and one just popped up. I would like to turn them off. Iā€™m such an easily distracted bunny anyway without added distraction.

Some CMā€™s like one I know even demand EACH LANGUAGE make a dedicated cover page (though most languages just use the English team one). Soā€¦ I think the subbers could be listed there.

In the French credits for example a user told me they thank French subbers by id and English team (generally). I heard the Spanish team also does this in the last ep too.

1 Like

Go to your avatar on the far right, click on the little Wheel, choose Preferences.
https://discussions.viki.com/users/sophie2you/preferences
There you will find a button to disable desktop notifications. But then, I only have a few threads to which I have allowed notifications, thatā€™s why it doesnā€™t bother me so much. You can change your preferences for each thread at the bottom of the thread, whether itā€™s set on watching, tracking, normal or muted. By default they notify you on new answers on every thread that youā€™ve written on, but you can put it back to ā€œnormalā€ so that it does show on top, but with no notification.

So glad my original thread had helped you. I tried to go back and edit to add information about Translation editors, but it looks like Viki locked my post and itā€™s not letting me edit any more. I tried a few times at different times but I gave up at this point. I suppose I could contact Viki about it, but I think there are a lot of other people who can/do explain about our process so I just left it alone.

1 Like

I donā€™t even remember that day. lol Which episode was it? I knew that we typically get it done between 4-10 hours, depending how who and how many show up.

Iā€™m always happy when more proficient people come in but itā€™s been only 3-4 subbers who come in lately, and ppl have been complaining like there is no tomorrow! Iā€™m glad it will be over this week!

1 Like

When itā€™s over, hopefully some people who are on both Legend and Solomonā€™s Perjury will be able to dedicate a little time to the latter, because itā€™s being sadly neglected by most members of the team, when itā€™s such a good series.
An on-air drama where you have to wait for three days and sometimes more for subtitles is unusual (today is Monday and Fridayā€™s episode 9 is still at 93% whereas Saturdayā€™s episode is at 6%).
But then it doesnā€™t seem to have a lot of viewers either - if you see the timed comments there are very few, and also very few people whining on the comments page (a relief, you will say, but itā€™s a measure of how few people are desperate to watch it). So I do understand that if subtitlers have only time to do only one, they will choose the one which is more in demand.

1 Like

I only see 1 subber thatā€™s signed up for both and I havenā€™t seen her in Legend lately. She is a student and maybe she has a lot of school work. I think Solomonā€™s may be a difficult drama to sub for since there are a lot of legal terms.

1 Like

Iā€™m not really sure itā€™s on Legent, I wrote without really going to check, it was my impression that I always seem to meet the same names everywhere. But even if itā€™s not on Legend, Iā€™m pretty sure work elsewhere as well. Gripstar for instance, is in Hwarang and in Solomon - and such a sweetie too, it always brings a smile on my face when I read his/her posts.

As for the legal terms, they were established in the first few episodes, now itā€™s only a repeat of what we already know. (Iā€™ve compiled a comprehensive English-Italian list by now, and Iā€™m sure the other mods have done the same).
Romantic Doctor Kim was much more difficult, with many new medical terms in every episode and yet everybody worked like crazy and it was ready quite soon. No, I rather think that the deciding factor is the lack of interest by the audience. And I see on other websites as well, itā€™s behind compared to other dramas. It pains me because it deals with an important issue very intelligently and sensitively. But it has no starsā€¦
Anyway, let me not stray from the topic too much.

I donā€™t know how itā€™s possible to translate an episode in less than 40 minutes. Do you people type with the power of thought? :astonished:

Iā€™m guilty of copying from Bulk for episodes Iā€™ve watched before, but I even then, it takes me time to transfer, correct and re-check.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s a problem. They are not stars, but they are decent actors. I think itā€™s because Solomonā€™s perjury is a heavy, serious story, not suitable for light entertainement. Itā€™s normal to prefer a cute, fluffy love story when you want to shake off the dayā€™s worries.

2 Likes

If we have 4-6 fluent and efficient subbers that each take 1 part at the same time, then itā€™s possible. While I normally take about 40 min to an hour sub a part, I could sub 1 part in about 20 minutes, if there arenā€™t difficult medical/legal/historical words.

2 Likes

I meant 1 episode - 1 person. aturally, teams can finish faster :slight_smile:

Oh, I see sophieā€™s earlier post now. I personally donā€™t think itā€™s possible to finish the entire hour long episode in 48 mins. Even if a person actually subbed ONE part in 8 minutes, I donā€™t think she can keep that up for the entire episode. Some part may have a little difficult lines to translate than other parts within the same episode. Some parts actually could have more lines to translate than other parts, too.

If this is the same subber that Iā€™m thinking of, I typically see her doing 1 part in about 15-25 minutes (although itā€™s very possible that she may have done 1 part in 8 minutes, if anyone was actually timing), and she can get it close to 100% accurate (maybe 95-98% accuracy), which is excellent!

But sometimes, it takes longer to get the last 1-3% than getting a chunk of other easier lines done. It might not even be because the words/terms are too difficult, but sometimes the actors do not enunciate properly and you canā€™t really hear it so you may have to replay that part over and over again.

Anyway, if super human can actually sub that fast accurately, more power to him/her and we can use more of them! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you @sophie2you ā€¦I still donā€™t see myself listed as a subber in the front page but maybe I havenā€™t done enough subtitles since the top says TOP SUBTITLER and they have a lot of sub counts done.

nope different subber. subber you thought of can do historicals in 10-15 min per partā€¦

I observed this different subber once and was amazed at how fast they did it with great accuracy.

this was I think Ep 14 or 15?

1 Like

I call it blind typing meaning without looking at the keyboard.
I learned to type on an old fashioned typewriter, then came the IBM, oh god that noise but the creativity with different typing heads. I remember at school imagine like 25 kids typing on a IBM, Remington or the Italian oneā€¦ we also did speed typing and they called it 10 finger system typing, today they only call it keyboarding.

Now I write on an English laptop but have to switch the language to German and I pretty much learned where the correct German keys are except the < > and few more that arenā€™t used frequently, luckily these can be copy/pasted from the segment box but there are still moments one needs to type them from the keys, so itā€™s back and forth D to EN and back. If I needed to, I could type even in the dark, lol.
I have a hard time watching people typing with just 2 or few fingersā€¦ :frowning:

Some subs where dialog is very short can be subbed in half time and then try Nirvana in Fire where you have like 1 sentence divided into 3 to 4 segments, there comes German grammar including the oh so many commas :scream:
I find the historical in particular Chinese, Legal and Medical Dramas the most komplex or time consuming where it requires extra knowledge or research of said genre.

Transcribing English hard subs is very fast but that depends on how fast you can type. :computer:

I was talking about s, not d., who is a Sageuk guru. If itā€™s yet another subber, pm me who she is so I can recruit her for Saimdang! Lol!

1 Like

My segmenting Shifu, the Venerable and Amazing Ninja Master Bjohnsonwong, can attest to the fact I can keep pace when English transcribing with one of the most practiced and yes, fast segmenters here. :slight_smile:

We had a great time ripping through an episode together for Mahoula. :slight_smile:

MUAHAHAHA! Throw a gauntlet at MEā€¦and I will embroider your name on it, throw it gently backā€¦and run whatever gauntlet you show me (by running it first, naturally, I am no fool and shall not run willingly into my own demise!) in record timeā€¦

I mean, :slight_smile:

GeNie of the Lamp POOF!

1 Like

I usually need 15-20 minutes per part. But Greek is very different from English, I usually canā€™t keep the sentence structure and the differences in grammar add up. Maybe in some languages itā€™s easier or even more difficult.

However, what really slows me down is the inability to add italics, breaks and note symbols in the subtitle editor without having to copy-paste the symbols from a txt. It really breaks my rhythm. :frowning:

If I encounter technical terms etc, I might need an hour for a part, since most languages will use similar Latin-based words and we will just use ours. :slight_smile:

2 Likes