I want this!

Subtitles on a fansubbing site, that can be positioned anywhere on the screen. Up, down, to the side, in the middle and slanted. Isn’t it super-cool?

subtites%20anywhere%2002 subtites%20anywhere
subtitles%20anywhere%2003

16 Likes

Would be extraordinary if those were soft subs. Are they burned into the video? I think you can do most of that with the Advanced Substation Alpha (ASS) format. Not sure if viki wants to invest the time it takes to integrate it as softsubs. EBU STL (.stl) is a format that lets you display multiple subtitles simultaneously independent of each other.

2 Likes

I love it. Unfortunately, several years ago, when I and others asked that the sub-editor and segment timer build in a space either before or after the < break > so we wouldn’t have to worry about roku users, I was told the original coders for the sub-editor and the segment timer were long gone from viki employment and they had not generously commented through the thousands of lines of code to explain what each section of code was doing, so it would be extremely difficult to reverse engineer the software. I don’t think rakuten wants to invest the money into redoing the subbing and segmenting software. The software does its primary function so we cannot ever expect more from it.

4 Likes

Hmmm… So not even a fellow coder cannot guess what that means. I see…

1 Like

It’s not that they can’t guess. It just takes longer to figure out where everything goes without comments to guide you. It’s like you’re getting a tour of a city in a language foreign, but mostly intelligible to you. You can get the gist, but will have to really examine it to get the intricacies.

They’d have to make a lot of changes to the subtitle editor and video player to implement this. The subbers would have more work to do to make the custom subtitles as well, that is if they decide to implement it for said show.

3 Likes

I guess it’s more a matter of, “is it worth the trouble (and thus, money)?”

1 Like

Yes, I understand what you say about the code.
As for the subbers, it’s not that they need to use the feature often. In this show I watched, out of 10 episodes, it was used…hm… like 5-6 times?
And, mind you, it’s a fan-subbing site, not even an official one, so they are not professionals either.
I’m told that they also do that in animated manga videos, to point out cultural references, by putting a description near an object or something like that. Or, other websites put song lyrics on top, and with a different colour, so as to completely differentiate them from the actual dialogue I’m not saying I would like that: too much jumping up and down with the eyes, because lyrics are much more frequent than the occasional cultural reference.