If Google Translate Is Prohibited [SOLVED]

I’ve seen a few users here and there that have like loads of languages badges. I mean like 3 is reasonable, but like 10?

Not trying to sound rude or anything, but does anyone really have that much knowledge about like 10 languages? If they sub [in that certain language] for a badge using Google Translate, isn’t that… unacceptable?

Now, I know that practically everyone likes to have lots of badges, but is it acceptable to do so for just one thing?

[Edit] Sorry if this post sounded rude; I did not mean to target any one or ruin someone’s Viki career. I was just trying to explain what has been on my mind, and I learned what the answer probably is.

8 Likes

Woah 10 languages?! I only sub from English to one other language, and I don’t even have a badge for it :sob: (because my language is not one of the “main languages” in Viki). Can’t you report that person to Viki though? Because if they are truly subbing just for the sake of badges and are using Google Translate, this will cause problems for other Vikiers who have to correct those mistakes and also for the watchers who’ll feel annoyed with the quality of the subs.

4 Likes

wow that I have not seen yet 10 language badges, not foreign language dramas? Among subbers I know not one uses google translate, it’s also a bad translator as well!

3 Likes

Maybe they’re just that good? :grin:

2 Likes

Using Google Translate is strictly forbidden on Viki, and that user must be reported ASAP.

4 Likes

Oh please Bozoli, what’s the good of the rule? It just doesn’t work.
I reported about several subtitlers - not only subtitlers, but also moderators! - used Google Translate, and nothing changed.

1 Like

You can have multiple language badge if you are a manager of an old drama. For example, you must repair the segments and put all the other languages in place.

4 Likes

err i use it for pinyin… ?

3 Likes

Maybe some got some help from other Vikians or know how to write it but don’t know what it means. For my Korean badge I filled in some stuff I know, did some captioning of easy stuff and someone helped me. No online translator only to check sometimes if I did write the hangul correctly.

3 Likes

Seriously, some people are gifted in learning languages. I am assuming these are the viki badges. I have several in different languages. You get them for segmenting a language as well. I have some in Spanish, Vietnamese, Chinese, Korean, Thai, but I don’t speak any of them; however, I do segment lots of different languages because I like segmenting different languages. They are all unique when segmenting, so I find it stimulating to do them, not to get badges. lol

7 Likes

Segmenters get these badges too even if they don’t speak the language. lol

7 Likes

Oh that makes sense. Then some of these users are probably segmenters as well.

2 Likes

Please do not make unsupported assumptions about viki users without knowing anything about them. It’s against Viki Community Guidelines to falsely report users for abuse:

http://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/200139034-Viki-Community-Guidelines-

I am one of the users that have multiple badges for my contributions as a subtitler and segmenter. I’m an avid segmenter and educator on viki with experience on Korean, Chinese, Taiwanese, English, Spanish, Russian and Thai videos. Hence many vikians like myself avid on projects in these languages will have those badges, it’s not a surprise at all.

In addition, many of our vikians are students or were students who learned multiple languages. Like myself, I’m fluent in English, Traditional Chinese and Simplified Chinese with basic skills in French and Spanish. Is it really a big surprise to know and be able to sub in different languages then? I guess not. Being multi-lingual is one of the key assets that many of our vikians have and we should be grateful they are willing to share their expertise and help out. We should not falsely accuse others without checking their quality of subtitles in the first place. It’s unfair for the users who are wrongfully accused and discourages their participation in the future.

12 Likes

I guess the mystery has been solved, there it is, language badges for foreign drama segging, thanks Robertases :wink:

3 Likes

Skipping your rude “Oh, please”, I’m sure you’ll agree that there’s even less good in not reporting it. It’s just that it drains your energy and people loose faith that Viki is going to do anything about it, or even that they really care. So, I understand your frustration.

2 Likes

Nono, I’m just saying in general. I just wanted to know how some people have lots of language badges or not. I guess how I wrote it is a little misleading. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I’m sorry about this. ._.

2 Likes

I didn’t even know that they get a language badge for segmenting in a language.

You learn something new every day…

6 Likes

one vikian would come in when she was in her baby stage of language learning and sub every single oppa, omma (mom), dad, hello each episode until she got her foot off the ground with Korean.

That’s another way to have done it. I haven’t worked with every vikian who can do Kor-Eng but some of the vikians though not 60-80% fluent have a lot of subtitles under their belt because they did so many for the whatever fluency they are capable of.

Until last month I edit more than I sub. Now it’s reverse some subbing, some spot subbing (i fill up parts to 100% from mid-80s), and spot edits (I translation edit the segs around the empty segs I fill up). More subbing than edits (well I’m on historicals now). It’s because I listen for every word that I have a ton of subtitles ^^ I wonder how many are originally mine.

If you’re a general editor wouldn’t you have multiple badges because multiple dramas?? (e.g. English and general editors).

1 Like

You don’t get “language badges” for segments. They specifically say you need to make 300+ subtitles to get those badges. There are, however, “genre badges” for content from a few countries, which users can get from either subtitling or segmenting contributions.

[Edit: See language vs genre badges: https://www.viki.com/badges]

As for users with many language badges, I don’t think it’s weird that someone would get suspicious. But just like you can’t say that no one can rightfully get 3+ language badges, you can’t make a blanket statement that everyone who has all those language badges got them because they know all those languages. I’ve definitely come across at least one user who had multiple language badges who didn’t know all those languages. It really is a case by case thing, so if you do see that the actual subs are kind of off for any language, reporting them isn’t out of the question, I don’t think.

3 Likes

You will get those language badges if you sub dramas from different countries. As I sub from english to german and chinese, japanese, taiwanese, korean and thai dramas, I have bagdes for those languages. This does not mean, that I speak these languages as well. :slight_smile:

2 Likes