Is it real or a drama thing

I was reminded today of a somewhat common thing I see in some dramas that they try to pass off as ‘real’…The moment when the characters are watching a photo montage of themselves, usually as a reminder of the OTP’s journey through the drama, but including photos of moments in which there is no way actual photo evidence exists.

For example, the confession moment in the drama I just watched happened while the two were stuck on a mountainside ALONE together after a skiing accident, so there’s no way anyone just happened to be snapping photos of them in that moment, but there the photos were in the montage during their proposal scene later.

I get that it’s an attempt of reminding the viewer of the romantic moments without using the actual flashback video, but it just comes off as awkward sometimes. I keep thinking, “Who was the creepy paparazzi hanging out in the bushes and taking photos while our OTP was on a super private date (or stranded on a mountainside, as the case may be)?”

6 Likes

Aw, that hasn’t happened in a while!

The CLAW GAME trope!

2 Likes

:joy::joy: I never thought about this! Maybe we have to assume we’re the photographers and decided to click pictures instead of crying over their distressed situation :joy:

5 Likes

The girl gets drunk - acts a little crazy with a guy - then wakes up in the morning and chastises herself while kicking and screaming on her bed. Keeps happening in my dramas!

3 Likes

Asking obvious questions.
For example, you are waiting for someone, they show up, and you ask them, “Oh, you’re here?”
Or, someone you are with has been asleep, they wake up, and you ask them, “Oh, you woke up?”

5 Likes

And “You go First” or “I’m going first” or “Oh you came”

3 Likes

My mom does this, I think she just needs to fill a void, maybe she feels, or cares about an awkward silence more than I do.

I think this one is more of a colloquialism, where I’d say ‘I’ll be leaving now’ they’d say ‘I’ll be going first’

3 Likes

Oh, here’s one I wonder about sometimes. Drama girls often have that nasty ‘friend’ from high school that they keep in touch with and still hang out with. Why would you keep a toxic person around? Do people really purposely hang out with toxic people they don’t like?

And why does this actress, who is probably a lovely person get so many of these not nice roles. Poor woman. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I understand that feeling, but I just find it humorous that they do it in the form of a question instead of just making it a statement like, “oh, good, you’re here” or “oh, good, you’re awake”.

When I first started hearing the expression, especially in c-dramas, it felt a little awkward, but it didn’t take me many times before I realized it was just their equivalent of the common phrase in my neck of the woods of “I better be going now”.

4 Likes

I think in this show - I’m watching it - she even told her friend she didn’t really like her she was kind of using her to get ahead in photography - she was pretty open about it.

3 Likes

You’re right. So much misguided or misplaced loyalty. But dramas need drama, so it has to come from somewhere. LOL

3 Likes

I intentionally used the frenemy from Tomorrow With You. :slight_smile: Yes, Ma Rin was very open about not actually liking Gun Sook at least so far, I’m on ep6.

This is true.

1 Like

I like her she stands up for herself with her mom, the guy, the reporters, her friends.
I am loving this show

2 Likes

I run out of hearts all the time!

2 Likes

Do I really have that many??? bahahahahaha!

1 Like

They both clearly show they don’t like her but somewhere along the drama, she tells her she’s friends with her just because she felt sorry Gun Sook had no friends. But yeah, they’re relationship is hard to understand :flushed:

1 Like

They are not real questions. They are just expressions that they use to greet them. So when they say, “Oh, you are here?” all they mean is “Hi.” :smile:

6 Likes

Once they are type casted into a certain role, they tend to be given that kind of roles all the time. I am sure she would love take on the role of a kind person if they are given to her.

5 Likes

Now watching her in Tomorrow With You - I really dislike her - however - marrying for money like she did she realizes she really has no real friends (possibly because she treats them so badly) and her husband is not very nice to her either.

4 Likes

I really do get the context in which it is used and why, I just wrote my post in a tongue-in-cheek sort of way to point out this particular cultural difference. In my neck of the woods, we would use the exact same words for the exact same reason, but we would put them in statement form instead of question form. It’s just that every time I hear it as a question, I can’t help but hear in my head all the sarcastic remarks I would hear back from people in my circle.

Which leads me to an actual question. I personally live in a social/family circle that makes use of sarcasm regularly, but as I’ve gotten used to the way of things in Kdramas (and others), I realized that the concept of sarcasm is something I don’t feel like I’ve come across much in dramas, if at all. I wondered if it was because it’s not in common use in Korea, or if it’s because writers just don’t like to use it, or if it’s just something that becomes difficult to actually translate and keep its original intent and therefore sort of gets ‘cut out’ and/or replaced with more ‘standard’ speech when subtitling. I’m genuinely curious.

3 Likes