J-Drama's love stories start REALLY fast - Why is that? Do you have a favorite J-Drama? šŸ’‹

@betw217_142
have you seen this one??

2 Likes

No, but Iā€™m gonna add it to my list immediately :slight_smile:

1 Like

So what are your favorites! I loved Love is Phantom! and recently Youā€™re My Pet (quirky but I ended up liking it).

Definitely Good Morning Call but being honest didnā€™t watch a lot of dramas :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

I watched it! Itā€™s good!

1 Like

I think it looks good might be coming up next - I am such a fly by the set of my pants kind of drama watcher depends on my mood - :blush:

1 Like

So Good!

1 Like

Iā€™m slooooowly getting used to j-dramas/moviesā€™ fast pacesā€¦ Iā€™m not very surprised anymore when the FL just blurts out a confession when ML doesnā€™t even know who she is :joy: Most of them have zero filter.

I find myself less emotionally invested in them because of the fast pace and seemingly weird romantic progression. They meet one minute and say they love each other the next. I canā€™t get into the feeling because the feeling moves so fast!! With k-dramas, the ā€œI love youā€ scene happens in like the 13th or 14th ep, and my heart just explodes but here, I constantly have a ā€œWait, whaaaaat? Did I skip a few hours?ā€ look on my face :sweat_smile::grimacing: My poor brain gets sooooo messed up when the ā€œI love youā€ happens way before hand-holding or even first-name calling :flushed: I feel like a lost little birdie flapping around in a puddle sometimes

I also canā€™t relate to most of them because of the overly animated or overly cold personalities. Itā€™s like theyā€™ve fallen out of an anime/manga.
But Iā€™ll say one thing: Out of the five j-shows Iā€™ve watched, three of the MLs had blindingly brilliant eye-smiles. Itā€™s the smiles that make me fall so hard for them.

4 Likes

I actually relate to your feelings, especially in regard to not being able to get as emotionally invested in Jdrama couples. Itā€™s hard when things move that fast. But sometimes itā€™s nice to have a ā€˜quick fixā€™ like a Jdrama, especially if Iā€™ve just dealt with a really slow burn in something else. I enjoy slow burns, but sometimes I get extremely impatient, so Jdramas are a nice alternative.

3 Likes

I agree with you about the quick fix part. But sometimes the second hand embarrassment just overpowers everything :see_no_evil::see_no_evil:

3 Likes

I love the fast pace of jdramas - I sometimes get so tired of waiting for a relationship until Eps 10 and a break up by eps 13 or 14. Seems to be a pattern. Love is Phantom was super fast but I loved the character development in it - although it was super steamy! I am finding myself watching more c-drama and tdramas and jdramas lately!

@my_happy_place
But I love my slow burn if it is KangJoonie in Weather is Fine

1 Like

@stardust2466_546

Have you watched Perfect Match - Itā€™s a tdrama I believe - but wowsers - I was in love during the intro

Hot Chefs get me everytime!

2 Likes

With Chris Wu?? No but I will per your recommendation. That dude is 38 years old and looks like a senior in HS! It just ainā€™t right, I tell ya!! These lucky Asian dudes and their fabulous non-aging geneticsā€¦

2 Likes

Heā€™s yummy - he had me at - the INTRO! I have only watched like 10 min and Iā€™m so excited about this chef arrogant chefs - love it

2 Likes

Iā€™d really love to see more Japanese dramas here, there were a couple of detective ones some years ago that Iā€™d love to see again

3 Likes

Loved perfect match, need to watch again!! got it on my list! and the other one, canā€™t think of the name, um not sure its Japanese though, the c0mpetitoon one, not the two chefs, this was a school

1 Like

may/december here on Viki? I will put that on my list then thanks

2 Likes

Yup, actually I rewatched it at a watch party with the girls last Sunday hehe

1 Like

I loved it!:star_struck:

1 Like

Iā€™ve posted this fave elsewhere - 'cause I consider it a masterpiece and would really like to find it again with English subs (not just to see it again with full comprehension myself but also to introduce friends and family to it, and to Viki) - but my hands-down fave is:

ā€œ Life ā€ (2007) - based on Suenobu Keikoā€™s manga about vicious school bullying. I describe it this way: ā€œLike ā€˜Aliens,ā€™ but with scarier monsters.ā€

Just a masterpiece of the classic Morality Play - because there is a critical moral choice that goes to the core of the character in almost every scene in this, and the way the heroine gets justice and vindication is unexpected and totally ethical. Itā€™s often hard to watch, but ultimately uplifting in a way thatā€™s hard to describe if you never experienced this kind of thing in school yourself.

I like this series so much I bought it on DVD for something like $250 USD - but itā€™s the genuine Japanese original so there are no subtitles, in any language - and my Nihongo still hovers around the JLPT N5-N4 range, so a long, long way to fluent comprehension. Easily the single best J-drama Iā€™ve ever seen. Maybe the best drama Iā€™ve ever seen, period - from any country in any format.

3 Likes