Japanese Dramas

hummm… Let me look over your list that you posted above! You have seen more than I have, but there may be one or two I can recommend.
(I’ll get back to you ^^)

1 Like

Kaseifu no Mita the original version of Mysterious Housekeeper is a MUST see not like anything I’ve seen before totally hooked on ep 8 of 11 :smiley:

1 Like

Fineeee I’ll watch it lol

1 Like

You’ll either be hooked by ep1 or you’ll be left going WTF??? I was hooked needless to say Just finished ep 8 and I am like OMFG!!! You finally hear Mita’s story and WOW…don’t want to spoil it for others but it’s no wonder she’s the way she is… T_T

1 Like

Thanks for that hon! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I only recently discovered this site while searching for sites streaming Japanese drama in the UK, so I am keen to see more of them here. It seems really difficult to find any sites licensed to stream Japanese drama in the UK. I only know Crunchyroll, but they only have a few (currently watching Random Hero).

Also I would like to see more Japanese dramas
I want to see in viki “Hana Yori Dango” among others.

Suggestion to JDramas that I know that has complete English subs are…
• I Love Tokyo Legend-Kawaii Detective
• The Tragedy of W
• CSI Crime Scene Investigation Season 2 (subbed was just completed)
Hope that more JDramas come to viki as well as many more Japanese subbers.

That drama is my #1! I actually go back to it just for the fun of it! its a must!

All i want is Koizora. I love that movie. It’s one I made all my friends watch.

I want to see PRIDE here. It’s my favorite japanese drama.<3

2 Likes

I would like to add “Nana” and “Paradise Kiss” to the list. They are both movies and manga/anime adaptions. I already sent a request for both of them. :smiley:

Does anyone know a legitimate site to watch JDramas? I’m dying to see the movie Drowning Love - The previews are all over YouTube.

I have watched a lot of the Jdramas on Netflix, Not sure if drama fever has, does have some, did you check drama fire> drama galaxy?

crunchyroll

most of the ones I like are crime or mystery shows

Painless: Eyes for Signs (medical, crime)
Galileo (Crime, medical, mystery)
Flashback (crime, supernatural, mystery)
ST: Scientific Task Force (crime/mystery/drama)
Perfect Insider (crime/ mystery/drama/sci fi)

based on manga

Death Note live action (L is awesome)
Future Diary
Gantz

1 Like

Similar threads on Japanese dramas, to consider merging:

Maybe just merge the ones who are asking for more J-dramas? But they also have recommendations, so I don’t know…

@jeslynl

1 Like

I would argue that there are more redundant threads on other topics than this one. But maybe the reason there are so many threads about adding Japanese dramas is that J-drama fans are frustrated with the comparatively small number of J-dramas at Viki.

Also frustrating is the fact that almost all of the Japanese dramas that currently are on Viki are from the Romantic Comedy genre, which gets a little boring after awhile. There needs to be more variety: cop and detective shows, doctor shows, school dramas, sci-fi, etc.

Three that I would most like to see Viki add (though I have a long list,) are:

1. “Life” - the 2007 FujiTV drama based on Suenobu Keiko’s manga about vicious school bullying. I describe it as “Like ‘Aliens,’ but with scarier monsters.”

'Can’t remember where I first saw this but it was a long time ago and I really want to see it again because it’s easily the best J-drama I’ve ever seen - also to be able to tell friends that it’s available on Viki, which in turn would get Viki some new subscribers.

1. “Joker Yurusarezaru Sosakan” - 2010, also FujiTV, about a cop who is also secretly a vigilante who hunts down criminals. Sakai Masato in the lead role of Date-san reminds me of Gary Sinese - his face is inscrutable, like maybe he’s smiling or maybe he’s about ready to explode. It’s a great meditation on the meaning of justice vs. revenge, reason vs. emotion, and ethics in general. Another drama that I saw a long time ago and would like to introduce friends to:
    https://mydramalist.com/165-joker-yurusarezaru-sousakan

2. “Doctor X ~Gekai Daimon Michiko” - 2012, from TV Asaki - a medical drama starring Yonekura Ryoko, who was stunning as Baba Ayako in “35-sai no KouKousei,” another drama about school bullying that was on NTV a year later. In Doctor X she plays a brilliant, uncompromising freelance surgeon who is both hated and relied-upon by slackers at a poorly-run hospital. Her statement “I never fail” is awesome.
    https://mydramalist.com/5432-doctor-x

Anyway, the problem is that the number of Japanese dramas vs. Korean and Taiwanese dramas is horribly lopsided. We need more, and some variety.

/soapbox

3 Likes

I think we all agree that there are too few Japanese dramas. I mean, numbers speak by themselves!
Some theories about the reason have been discussed on all the threads. It seems that there is a difficulty to get Japanese content because of the unwillingness of Japan to give it to international streaming sites.
I thoroughly enjoyed Jin. Although there was some little (lukewarm) romance, it wasn’t the main focus at all. Unless you count in the fact that I fell in love with the main actor.

2 Likes

Irmar I agree with you, we need more of the J dramas. the unwilliness of Japan to give it to international sites? maybe they lost their trust in those people that got their dramas? I would love to see Samari Cat and that detective and that dr x, and so many morew!!

1 Like