Jobs in drama-series vs. Real life jobs

Drama-series have used about every job and branche available to make a good (or sometimes maybe not so good) story. Travel agencies, law firms, medical world, publishing; you name it and you’ll probably be able to find a matching series. Despite research done by writers/producers, what is shown in the series isn’t always realistic.

So what has made you go: Wait, what, No it doesn’t work that way! while watching a series? Or maybe pet peeves about a certain cliche that’s continuously used for a certain job/branch?

I’m not going to lie, when watching medical drama’s I laugh way too hard at the things they think we do at a hospital. Some shows are also simply sloppy in their research. Varying from not correctly using medical terms to IV drips that are not working or sometimes even (by mistake) visibly disconnected.
I don’t remember which drama it was, but at some point everyone was panicking as the patient flatlined. The show was fullscreen showing the monitor with the flatline and the reminder that the leads were disconnected. Connecting the leads would have probably solved their problem :joy: Btw, using a monitor used for simulation training would have simply solved that issue for the producers.

7 Likes

The psychiatry & psychology branch.
I’ve raised many eyebrows watching dramas over the years :face_with_raised_eyebrow:.

Also the IT branch. Somethings are outright laughable :laughing:.

6 Likes

lol I hate and love watching dramas like that… it’s so funny to see how far writers and producers can go with their imagination

I’ve watched a doctor giving CPR to a fish(still not sure if it was done for comedy because it looked hella serious) in Secret Life of My Secretary :joy:

6 Likes

The HIPPA laws - these drama folks are always blurting out everyone’s medical history business - even though they clarify sometimes that they should not be doing so - ha!

6 Likes

Or when they blurt out the person’s medical or psychological history without even checking who their are talking to (not like checking it would’ve made it okay - should keep your patients info private).

5 Likes

And yet, they will conveniently cite medical privacy rules when it is beneficial to the plot to keep a particular character in the dark.

4 Likes

I have a similar topic you may find amusing as well…Is it real or a drama thing

I constantly look stuff up while watching dramas, laws in the country of origin, medical terms/procedures, types of poison being used, I’d hate someone to die a suspicious death around me, if someone looked through my computer history I’d surely look guilty. lol

Anyway back to your question, every time someone yanks out their IV, I think, how hard is it to gently pull it out, even if you’re in a rush, and the way they do rip it out I’m sure they’d tear something and make everything worse.

4 Likes

Uhm… Is there something you want to tell us? :laughing:

Maybe @medstudent314590 wants to put “jobs” or something like that in their title, since the thread seemed to be specifically for that sort of thing. If not, it is similar to your thread.

3 Likes

4 Likes

Aw Hogan’s Heros - the ML was murdered and they never figured out the case - I think it is still a cold case!. …

I loved Bob Crane, I was heartbroken when I learned of it (a few years later, because I was pretty young at the time)

1 Like

Thanks, I have changed the title

4 Likes

why do they romanticize the job of a writer so much! I wanna be one haha.
P.s i respect doctors after watching ‘‘Hospital playlist’’, not kidding

5 Likes

I have that with about every drama I see.
Travel agent? Sounds fun!
Secretary? I like that!
Working for a magazine? Sure, why not!

It’s a good thing I was already studying before I found K-drama’s or I would have had a hard time choosing which job to pursue :joy:

5 Likes

I’ve always wondered about being a manager of a celebrity. It looks like so much stress in the dramas most of the time but you’ll get to see some cool celebrities. I guess it’s a win some lose some situation.

2 Likes

It can get pretty stressful, especially when every single reporter is after your celeb’s blood… boy groups like exo have at least 6-8 managers.

This gives you a little window into the life of an actual manager. Basically, Jang Sung Kyu takes up the job of a manger for a day. Not a senior one, more like a junior manager. But the actual managers do answer some questions. Though its funny, it is accurate, because the entire channel is aimed at giving real information for job seekers.
5 Likes

Very interesting! I’ll have to watch that later. Being exo’s managers must be a lot of work. They are a handful. But they don’t live together anymore do they? That makes it less hectic. :joy: I think. Maybe it’s more work when they are in different locations. Lol

I’ll have to watch the clip and find out.

I would be a nice manager. I hate seeing the ones that literally abuse their idols. It’s so sad.

2 Likes

That was good. I loved at the end where he told his manager he loved him, then proceeded to throw his jacket to him, and get a piggyback ride. :joy:

1 Like

I love Jang Sung Kyu’s deadpan humor :joy:

1 Like

Wow, the chaos! And the talking at warp speed! But that was fun.

2 Likes