Let's talk about the Reviews and Ratings!

If there was such an patrol, I’d sign up to help. It’s so frustrating to see.

2 Likes

Viki is trying to help by creating-updating a help topic:

Reviews Policy
Camille
a few seconds ago Updated
Reviews Guidelines

Be helpful and relevant. When you leave a review, you are helping another Viki user decide if they should watch a show or movie. So, always aim to be relevant, respectful and helpful.
Submit a review only if you’ve watched the show or movie.
Stay on topic and give reasons to substantiate your rating for the show or movie (Please note that subtitle availability and/or quality are not considered relevant in reviews, and these types of reviews are subject to removal)
If you have any technical feedback, please contact our customer support team via this link.
If you’d like to start a new topic or conversation, please use the comments section.
Failure to follow these guidelines may result in account suspension or other further action.

How do I report a Review?

If you’d like to report someone for failing to follow the guidelines, please do so by flagging the review.

Screenshot_2018-02-05_15.37.06.png

At Viki, we love our community. We empower our community to look after one another. As such, we expect you to use the reviews and the reporting system around it responsibly. If we detect any abuse, we may have to suspend or ban your account.

You can direct whiners to this link: https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/articles/360000175408-Reviews-Policy

1 Like

I would love to see a limit on what viewers write bc some ppl think they are professional writers and point out every little flaw in the drama. If they don’t like the drama, they do everything possible to discourage viewers from watching the drama. Although I ‘‘flagged’’ the comment (bc a staff suggested we do so if we feel the review is wrong), to this day I still see them posted in the drama. Just bc they don’t like the drama it doesn’t give them the right to stop others from watching since ppl have different taste.

I stopped reading the review bc I stopped myself from watching a drama based on this person ‘‘opinion,’’ and the drama turned out to be fantastic.

@mariliam I have another request if it is possible within the website page.
See the screenshot. Because lots of folks abuse this box or perhaps don’t understand or perhaps aren’t signed with disqus they use the WRITE A REVIEW box for writing comments about “subtitles aren’t complete” or other not related to a review comments.

So where the line is “write a review in the opened box above”, put a definition of a review or kinda a rule like:

• A review is a spectator’s opinion about the show or movie watched, the story and cinematography. Do not write about missing subtitles or technical issues or if you have not watched the show or show did not air. All content not related to a review will be flagged and removed!

Why I’m pointing this out, because these people rate a show low and it is not right to do so based on above said reasons, like missing subtitles, or missing episodes or even dislike actors etc.
Some spectators choose shows based on ratings and reviews so I believe Viki wants to offer a honest balance of reviews that are solely based on the content.

I’m thinking it is a necessity just like viki had to put the community rules in the disqus box.
Thanks for reading, perhaps there is another solution.

At last a link with a post with similar issues with posting a review:
https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360044009993-I-can-t-post-my-reviews-

4 Likes

As for Good Casting, it’s a good thing for now, I wish nobody would be able to post reviews, since the show just started! However, some fake reviews were posted anyway, which means that not everybody has this problem. (I diligently downvoted and flagged all the ones mentioning subtitles, but truthfully even the others are fake reviews. How can you judge a show after only one episode?).

2 Likes

Same, I am also flagging everything which is not related to the drama plot itself. Thank you! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

Good News! (I hope very much)

Several times a day I take a few minutes to “thumbs-down“ and/or flag the rampant sub-whiners’ one-star ratings (among others) in the reviews section. I usually focus on the new dramas, since the sub-whiners attack there within minutes (or even before) the episodes arrive.

Well, this morning I went to check for the latest whiners, then low and behold, on two of the latest Kdrama releases (Bulldog and Sweet Munchies) it appears that Viki has removed all (or at least most) of the sub-whiner fake reviews (!!!) Yesterday both of these dramas were packed with low star sub-whiner ratings. Let me be the first to say THANK YOU, VIKI!

In my opinion, this has been one of the major let-downs of Viki, allowing the sub-whiners to take over the review sections, not to mention allowing those whiners to continually berate our amazing Volunteers. Hopefully this will be a new standard for the Viki Review sections. Just wanted to share this observation. :smiley_cat:

5 Likes

I know everyone loves to watch a drama in their own language, but it is very depressing when people vote a drama poorly because their language is not currently present. And sadly it seem to be a lot of the same group of people. Even more so, when the tag “This show has English subtitles only” is present. It is very unjust to the actors that work on these dramas. If one doesn’t like the drama, sure, that is acceptable, but giving a rating of 1 because their language is not listed feels quite childish and petty. (Before someone comments, please note that English is not my main language, but I did learn it so I didn’t have to wait for things to be translated into mine :smirk:.)

On that note, Is there any way to add an additional flag that “reports” the drama rating as subtitles request so that it doesn’t count as part of the total rating of a show? I know people are working on updating the website, so maybe they can look into a way to fix the array, or stack or however that is coded not to calculate those? I know people can rate those down, but at what point those are no longer counted?

Also, for those show that are only going to have English subtitles, how about adding a banner on the show image?. (A quick dirty example below :smile: )
example
since it seems a lot of people (quite sadly) don’t notice the “This show has English subtitles only. Learn More” info link.

Will be nice if we can stop a good drama getting bad ratings because of subtitles requests.

15 Likes

There should be another item on the drop-down menu.
I would call it “Not a review”.
This will cover all fake reviews, all ratings (either low or high) given for reasons extraneous to the drama’s worth. The two most recurrent examples are:

• 5-star reviews before the drama even starts airing, because “oppa is in it”
  • low ratings because of lack of license/subtitles
15 Likes

Haha that made me giggle.

I don’t waste my time reading too many reviews. Just a handful. If I see one that complains about subs I click the thumbs downs button because it has nothing to do with the show and I don’t care to read complaints about subs that are not yet ready in ‘your’ language.

4 Likes

Some examples of “reviews” before the drama started. Here the high rating is the problem rather than the low rating. Giving a high rating because a show “looks promising” and because you love the actors is, of course, not a review at all!

My%20oppa%2002 My%20oppa%20is%20in%20it Oppa%20is%20in%20it%2005 My%20oppa%2005 My%20oppa%2004 My%20oppa%2003

3 Likes

Great suggestions which really should be added officially to this page, @aristonomia, if you have time and if there isn’t a similar suggestion already:

https://support.viki.com/hc/en-us/community/topics/115000556227-Viki-Ideas

Here you can post your idea, which then gets upvoted (or downvoted) and by the number of votes gets prioritised on Viki.

Temporary solution is to tag the “reviews” as spam. The more people tag something, the quicker it gets deleted from the system. We have a thread for these things, when you need help tagging.

5 Likes

One way of stopping the pre-start drama rating would be not allowing it to be rated before the first episode is aired.

3 Likes

We discuss this in the thread I posted above. Yes, not aired on Korean/Chinese/ etc. television. A show may be aired a long time ago on TV, but then picked up later by Viki. Then the reviews should be allowed even before the first episode is shown on Viki.

4 Likes

How about while your watching and the Show the Subtitlers Love page comes up It will also ask how are you liking the Drama so far? If you give an episode 10 stars then it shows up as your review.
Also people often have a 10 star reviews before the Drama has aired.I that confusing.

2 Likes

Yes, that page is something we hate.

1. It often obscures the end credits, end song and preview
  2. If you close it, there is no way to go to the next episode (we used to have a thumbnail with “next” under the video)
  3. As you say, it encourages viewers to write a review even after watching a single episode, which is ludicrous. This screen, if ever, should only be on the last episode.
5 Likes

Putting that end screen only serves one thing, to help a new show gain momentum and popularity via reviews. But on a long run is quite counter-productive. Too often a show has great first four episodes after which the quality plummets. The system, as is built now, promotes early ratings, which on a long run become misleading.

We’ve been whining about this for too long now. It’s impossible they didn’t see it. They just don’t care or they disagree. We have to come in terms that Viki itself wants and promotes ratings on a show as early as possible. If they actually really hated people rating something even before watching (like we do), they would’ve already set in place a system where that would not be allowed.

Sorry for the poopy mood.

6 Likes

I saw Goblin on another site before I joined Viki. So I could vote on the show even though it’s new here and maybe that is what others have done as well. At least that is what I assume when I see a new show with ratings.

2 Likes

I consider a new show one that has yet to be aired on on TV/Sites. Those I think should not be allowed to be rated upon till we get a first episode. I agree with irmar about the problem with "because “oppa is in it” voting. But for shows that have been out already and new to viki, the rating should be allowed, especially since someone who has seen it, can give their feedback.

3 Likes

Definitely! That’s what I also wrote, if you noticed. That if they have completed airing on TV in their home country, it’s okay for ratings to open.
I’ve also written quite a lot of reviews on dramas that aren’t here yet, but I’ve watched “elsewhere”.

2 Likes