Long subtitles

But the person is moving his mouth and speaking audibly. Italics are used only with thoughts/offscreen, faraway voices/ computerized voices/ crowd voices/ not human voices

3 Likes

hi dear nice stuff shared

So I was observing and thinking for a solution here at RVIKi with these new ‘‘long subtitles,’’ and I know this new way of writing subs can also work here, if they take the time, and use the right staff to resolve the issue with such ‘‘never ending subs’’ in dramas (corner to corner).

For a while now, I observed the NETFLIX/PRIME/OTHERS subtitles… and they are using a just one (1) line, short sentence.
I need your phone.
next seg/next scene
I have to make a call.
next seg/next scene
Thank you…

So at this point I figured more segments will have to be added, and they’ll have to be much shorter (but not one second like I see here done lately). Viewers need time to read this subs, and some like myself, can read quite fast, but others are slow readers so it will be a bit annoying for them.

I have observed some Chinese dramas with this short subtitles, and they are working just fine. I hope this new way of writing subs can resolve the problem with these long subtitles that are not too pleasant to see in the screen, and can be difficult for some people with certain condition to adapt, too.

1 Like

This is a good example of small line subtitles (no corner to corner subs). It’s aligned well in the middle.

So far episode 1 of this drama is a good example.

https://www.viki.com/videos/1191275v

I’m unable to actually view the show because of the long subtitles ( from one end of the screen to the other) by the time i finish reading one… the next has started and i can’t focus on the characters. I don’t have This problem when watching Netflix. There isn’t a way to shorten the length of them either. i have changed the size to small and they still go from one end of the screen to the other. I would prefer them centered so i can watch the show and read them instead of missing it because I’m reading subs

3 Likes

I’ve been browsing the board trying to find if there’s a solution to this baffling terrible choice and it looks like there isn’t. What a shame. I love korean dramas but it’s virtually impossible to enjoy the show while constantly moving my eyes to keep up with the lack of line breaks.

Is there any alternative app that does korean dramas?

What I’ve found useful to do is to set my on-screen font size to a smaller setting. I also use a black background. This hlelps me enormously. To access font settings…

1. Start the show.

2. Click on the gear icon on the bottom left of the screen (#1 on the image) and then click on the language selection (#2 on the image)

1. Now select “Subtitle Appearance” (#3).

1. I then set the text size to “small” (#4) and, as mentioned above, I use a black background (#5).

1 Like

I know, right! It was a nightmare to translate, fortunately we had a Math expert as a subber, who was of great help!
And unfortunately the segments are not always long enough, because the next line of dialogue comes. What can one do, in such cases? Simplifying/condensing is not an option in this case, since these are already complicated concepts to grasp. And the characters throw around stuff all the time, which needs notes to be understood.

1 Like