Machine translation from Viki

And we’re not paid for going on strike… too bad!
It’b be great to have this show of solidarity in each project, growing wings!

Well waht is this form ? never seen it.

Coucou en effet, vu que c’est les docs de kylama (on bosse souvent ensemble) j’ai fait la modification et la protection des plages, je lui ai donné l’info par mail hier. Yen a qui on du mal avec le doc et ya des infos qui disparaissent sans faire exprès :wink:

I tried to read all of the comments but there were so many. I think what I have to say has been repeated by many but since the email I received said one of the things we can do is comment here I want to make sure I comment here.

Like others said, if it can happen to french and some other languages it can happen to the rest of us.

Even if it doesn’t happen to the rest of us the French community should not be forced to accept bot translations where there are subbers to do the work

I have been so incredibly impressed with the subtitles here. I once translated a raw MTL for a chapter of a chinese novel and it was so hard.

The nuance, the word selection, the music being translated, the translator notes. They are all pretty incredible. Its one of the reasons I stay on Viki as my replacement for DramaFever. The only reason I go off of Viki to watch asian shows is when I am using my tv (Viki doesn’t have an app for it)

I am very disappointed in viki here and if I were a subber I would go on strike too (I’ve been studying up to apply for ninja academy but I won’t be doing that right now).

I believe others are right. They want to use subber’s unpaid labor to train their AI so their AI can take over.

I think it is a good idea to provide no corrections to the bots.Let the viewers get upset that the translations have gone down the tube. (I know bad translations would probably drive me more away from the site where I have other options and if they are losing viewers they will probably stop what they are doing)

I don’t like it and I support the French language community and other language communities being forced into this bot.

7 Likes

We shouldn’t.
We should stop volunteering to be Viki’s breakwater every.single.time!

2 Likes

@_lyla Therefore, I made a thread so people can voice what other problems are neglected and need improvement. Maybe you want to place it there.

1 Like

Thank you!

Lyla, you are really something, really!

We protest against VIKIBOT, Guys. Till the beginning, it’s about this one situation we started this war, because of some messages and acts from viki against french community. I know that many things are not good on viki, and I hope that viki will listen to us for these things. I agree with you for all the recommendations you make. But we have to do things in order/ according situation.

We reacted like that for the vikibot that has imposed itself on us. Yes, to the French team, but tomorrow it will be the Spanish team, who knows? So, no matter whether it’s French or whatever other language, WE ARE AGAINST vikibot in general! That’s not just the french team, we don’t think like that at ALL!!!

I answered you many thing, but again, I REPEAT “I also hope that we will have changes on many things that you propose (and all other concern about other contributors for many difficult thing about viki), it concerns the progression of viki. But vikibot is about respect, quality and many other things.” IT’S ABOUT, like we said since beginning, US, contributors! For the improvement, their are other place for proposition.

Do not be selfish, please! FRENCH COMMUNITY IS A PART OF THE GLOBAL COMMUNITY, DON’T YOU KNOW AT LEAST THAT?

I’m done!

7 Likes

I truly don’t believe the app is an issue right now. Besides the way that people can give bad reviews without watching the actual drama because the lack of subs, I see no mayor thing to make a strike about that part. We cannot get away with everything and we have to choose our battles wisely. The viki bot issue it HUGE ISSUE itself. It Doesn’t just affect the French Team, the viki bot has come to lots of channels and languages already and we have being covering this issue long ago just that now became to be a total mess and it’s the drop that had all of us say: this is enough. We cannot demand just anything. We are not gathered here just because the french team, this is about our community being respected and appreciated.

4 Likes

Have you started a strike at this moment? If you did, we would have followed you since the beginning! It’s not about JUST ONE LANGUAGE, it’s about a lot of thing. We are fed up and we have started a strike and a petition, because it is culturally so in our country. If the Spanish or Portuguese team had started a real fight like this, I can assure you that the French would have been the first to help you.

That’s the difference. By the way, it’s not the first time for french community too. NOT THE FIRST TIME VIKIBOT DID SOMETHING. So it’s not about language, it’s about fed up and persons.

PS: we do not want VIKIBOT FOR ALL LANGUAGE. That’s our real AND MAIN asking (including Spanish, your native language).

PS2: I remember that it is a French contributor who fought a lot for Wok of love, for the Portuguese and Spanish language that were exchanged. @deval_chloe

Lyla, if you want to speak about that, please think carefully before and send me a private message. Your reaction is a little too much.

PS3: Lutra made a topic for your recommandations, please go there speak about them.

1 Like

Can we please not to fight between each other here? Please. This is moment to be together and not to point fingers on what teams we are. Exactly because we had this situations before this got to this point. Is about all the issues with the viki bot subs. Instead of looking the bad in the situation just let’s take this as an advantage to also defend our Spanish subs, is about all subs.

7 Likes

Yes, I was asking just that.

My pov:

The strike comes from free will, we can’t force you and if you don’t want to because for you, there’s no benefit, then it’s up to you not to do it.
It’s already really nice that you came to give your feedback and you picked to support us even for a moment.
After, each one is free to do what he likes.

• The bot is universal and is experimented.
    For me, the bot has replaced volunteers (here, French) to provide subs faster or when they were not active according to their message.
    The bot has already come to do Portuguese and Spanish subtitles replacing subbers as mentioned above by other volunteers who witnessed it and you have experienced it personally when you took dramas back.

If they will do only for French… I don’t know, but the bot is not for French language only.
Maybe it’s just a question of time.
Have they invested in a bot only for French?

I think what we meant by doing this strike is:
The bot won’t work for French, it won’t work for any language, actually and it won’t work with volunteers if you implement it like that. Most importantly, in the sheet, we proved that it won’t work with viewers.

• Inactivity shouldn’t be solved like that. Inactivity touches every language.

• Benefit point:
    Did we get some benefit by contributing on Viki? :joy:
    What’s the difference if we don’t contribute? :joy:

I’m kidding, if people depend on you, then it’s understandable that some of us wouldn’t want to: English teams or CM or maybe because we’re in the middle between Viki/viewers.

On one hand, I don’t want to sanction all teams because of my decision and I’m sorry for viewers.
On the other hand, they’re also friends or comrades (French or no). I want to support them because they helped me in the past and I just feel really sorry for them and I’m indignant that Viki picked this solution to deal with viewers complains maybe about speed. How did they show us they respected these volunteers? But not only French volunteers, volunteers in general?

• It depends on each person. When people give money, food or clothes to an association for poor people or animals, they don’t look particularly for a benefit, just it comes from the heart because they’re humans and we’re humans.

• Do I need to have some benefits? I don’t win anything in that actually, the dramas impacted are not dramas I was participating in, except 1 but I didn’t get to subtitle it (0) since the CM/French moderator has never contacted me about it and the drama needs English editing, segments fixing for some parts and filling some English subs. I don’t want to take a project because I can’t now.

• There are other points people mentioned in the sheet: like better communication or for unfinished dramas for all the community and all languages. It’s something everyone has been asking for.
    There were also other things such as a page for recruitment or for projects, we spoke for every language on that.

• The solutions we tried to find were for everyone.
    Some were more focused on French inaccuracy of the bot, because it happens for French.
    If people want to add for Spanish and Portuguese (preventive measure), it could help if these languages will be next.

• Each person is different. I don’t like injustice, so I tend to react to injustice.
    This decision was not fair, they didn’t get to ask or hear these teams on what the situation was before or making any diagnostic. It’s the basis of communication.
    It’s like a judge pronouncing something, but without looking at the case, hearing people involved, only seeing that a murder happened and there was someone, this person must be the murderer…
    Or a doctor prescribing something without seeing the patient and asking some questions.
    How is it possible to be fair or to understand a disease and find the remedy or the correct sentence?

5 Likes

Wow, you are something. I did not change anything at all. I will stop replying to your messages now, I know what I told you in private, and it’s exactly the same as that. If you are like that, I can not do anything about it. If you have recommendations, you can say them out loud in discussions about these topics (improvement) for these GOOD RECOMMANDATION OF YOURS. But do not get angry and do not act unfairly because I said “no” to include something other than vikibot for our petition and strike (since the beginning).

I’m done with you, Lyla. That’s all.

I’m ok with that. XD Goodbye, Lyla.

(These messages being private, I was not informed that they would be published like that, but I revoke my right of confidentiality. I certify to accept the publication of these private messages. For the legal service of Viki)

Anna, le tempérament de feu, ton image te va comme un gant et le nom de ton équipe aussi XD
Quand envoyez-vous le sheet à Viki, il est finalisé ?

2 Likes

J’aimerais attendre un peu plus l’avis et les suggestions de tous les contributeurs du monde. Peut-être demain soir, je dois voir avec Irmar. :slight_smile:

I would like to wait a little longer for the opinion and suggestions of all the contributors of the world. Maybe tomorrow night, I have to talk with Irmar too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Los voluntarios merecen respeto y los espectadores subtítulos de calidad. Por favor Viki no siguas así.

1 Like

We ARE asking to remove Vikibot for every language. Didn’t you see our Spreadsheet? That was my intention. I prepared everything thinking of all languages. It’s French today, it was Spanish a year ago, who knows who will follow?

7 Likes

Reminder for new friends who just jumped in:
please put your experience and suggestions on our spreadsheet here:

4 Likes