Machine translation from Viki

You are so right!

2 Likes

Ok so first of all, people don’t get paid to be translators. They’re doing this FOR FREE and not only that but still PAYING for your network of shows. I speak French and I have been learning a little Korean. Asian languages are sooo different from romantic languages! I can only imagine how bad the translations are! To just outright decide to replace a lot of people’s HARD WORK with bots
 not even just saying “Hey thank you for your service to us. We’re going to us bots in the near future but still keep the hard work that you did just fine.” - that would be the bare minimum I would expect. DON’T BITE THE HAND THE FEEDS YOU!!! Je suis avec vous, francophones!

8 Likes

I couldn’t say better! :clap::clap::clap:tenor
R - E - S - P - E - C - T OUR WORK VIKI!

2 Likes

When you’re adding all of this to the excel file, perhaps it would be best not to open new categories/rows if a category already exists, but to add to the old ones.

For example, punctuation already exists, formal vs informal speech, as well. “Correcting is time-consuming and difficult” category for completely nonsense translation examples.

As well, perhaps some examples could be used in more than one category.

2 Likes

Space missing for “mignonne?” + one more space for “l’ Ă©glise”.

D. CONTEXT/SITUATION - How can you know about “duper” for deceive?
E. Formal/informal - Laisse-les Laissez-les ?

Yes, we can add them. Please feel free to do so.

I let the authors decide :slight_smile:

Just looking at the meaning because it is what the bot needs and what they might want.

Has to edit punctuation, they might not see punctuation really important to a bot improvement, and look at the meaning only.

6 segments, I look at the sentences separately to make them 12.

Duper is in C.

I’m not going to put a capital letter at the beginning or a dot at the end of a sentence now so. :slight_smile: But I understand your meaning. Please add this to sheet.

1 Like

And we’re not paid for going on strike
 too bad!
It’b be great to have this show of solidarity in each project, growing wings!

Well waht is this form ? never seen it.

Coucou en effet, vu que c’est les docs de kylama (on bosse souvent ensemble) j’ai fait la modification et la protection des plages, je lui ai donnĂ© l’info par mail hier. Yen a qui on du mal avec le doc et ya des infos qui disparaissent sans faire exprĂšs :wink:

I tried to read all of the comments but there were so many. I think what I have to say has been repeated by many but since the email I received said one of the things we can do is comment here I want to make sure I comment here.

Like others said, if it can happen to french and some other languages it can happen to the rest of us.

Even if it doesn’t happen to the rest of us the French community should not be forced to accept bot translations where there are subbers to do the work

I have been so incredibly impressed with the subtitles here. I once translated a raw MTL for a chapter of a chinese novel and it was so hard.

The nuance, the word selection, the music being translated, the translator notes. They are all pretty incredible. Its one of the reasons I stay on Viki as my replacement for DramaFever. The only reason I go off of Viki to watch asian shows is when I am using my tv (Viki doesn’t have an app for it)

I am very disappointed in viki here and if I were a subber I would go on strike too (I’ve been studying up to apply for ninja academy but I won’t be doing that right now).

I believe others are right. They want to use subber’s unpaid labor to train their AI so their AI can take over.

I think it is a good idea to provide no corrections to the bots.Let the viewers get upset that the translations have gone down the tube. (I know bad translations would probably drive me more away from the site where I have other options and if they are losing viewers they will probably stop what they are doing)

I don’t like it and I support the French language community and other language communities being forced into this bot.

7 Likes

We shouldn’t.
We should stop volunteering to be Viki’s breakwater every.single.time!

2 Likes

@_lyla Therefore, I made a thread so people can voice what other problems are neglected and need improvement. Maybe you want to place it there.

1 Like

Thank you!

Lyla, you are really something, really!

We protest against VIKIBOT, Guys. Till the beginning, it’s about this one situation we started this war, because of some messages and acts from viki against french community. I know that many things are not good on viki, and I hope that viki will listen to us for these things. I agree with you for all the recommendations you make. But we have to do things in order/ according situation.

We reacted like that for the vikibot that has imposed itself on us. Yes, to the French team, but tomorrow it will be the Spanish team, who knows? So, no matter whether it’s French or whatever other language, WE ARE AGAINST vikibot in general! That’s not just the french team, we don’t think like that at ALL!!!

I answered you many thing, but again, I REPEAT “I also hope that we will have changes on many things that you propose (and all other concern about other contributors for many difficult thing about viki), it concerns the progression of viki. But vikibot is about respect, quality and many other things.” IT’S ABOUT, like we said since beginning, US, contributors! For the improvement, their are other place for proposition.

Do not be selfish, please! FRENCH COMMUNITY IS A PART OF THE GLOBAL COMMUNITY, DON’T YOU KNOW AT LEAST THAT?

I’m done!

7 Likes

I truly don’t believe the app is an issue right now. Besides the way that people can give bad reviews without watching the actual drama because the lack of subs, I see no mayor thing to make a strike about that part. We cannot get away with everything and we have to choose our battles wisely. The viki bot issue it HUGE ISSUE itself. It Doesn’t just affect the French Team, the viki bot has come to lots of channels and languages already and we have being covering this issue long ago just that now became to be a total mess and it’s the drop that had all of us say: this is enough. We cannot demand just anything. We are not gathered here just because the french team, this is about our community being respected and appreciated.

4 Likes

Have you started a strike at this moment? If you did, we would have followed you since the beginning! It’s not about JUST ONE LANGUAGE, it’s about a lot of thing. We are fed up and we have started a strike and a petition, because it is culturally so in our country. If the Spanish or Portuguese team had started a real fight like this, I can assure you that the French would have been the first to help you.

That’s the difference. By the way, it’s not the first time for french community too. NOT THE FIRST TIME VIKIBOT DID SOMETHING. So it’s not about language, it’s about fed up and persons.

PS: we do not want VIKIBOT FOR ALL LANGUAGE. That’s our real AND MAIN asking (including Spanish, your native language).

PS2: I remember that it is a French contributor who fought a lot for Wok of love, for the Portuguese and Spanish language that were exchanged. @deval_chloe

Lyla, if you want to speak about that, please think carefully before and send me a private message. Your reaction is a little too much.

PS3: Lutra made a topic for your recommandations, please go there speak about them.

1 Like

Can we please not to fight between each other here? Please. This is moment to be together and not to point fingers on what teams we are. Exactly because we had this situations before this got to this point. Is about all the issues with the viki bot subs. Instead of looking the bad in the situation just let’s take this as an advantage to also defend our Spanish subs, is about all subs.

7 Likes

Yes, I was asking just that.