Moderators who hoard channels

Very strange, I can see “Paris” alright, it’s just restricted for my region. Weird things…

It’s not that I am too lazy to answer your question, it’s just that there is a perfect answer already. Just know that it’s exactly what I would have written as well.

If you want me to analyze your contributions, I did it, since I had a bit of time this morning.
I looked at the shows where you didn’t have any contributions:
Don’t Dare to Dream, On The Way to the Airport, Detroit Metal City, Nirvana in Fire - Complete. You didn’t do any subs but you probably had another editor
The shows where you did make subs are also complete.
I found only two incomplete ones:
A Thousand Kisses you left after episode 5 (of 50)
Manny: 8 episodes out of 16 are done. A bit sporadically, too. 1-6 and then 9, 13. Strange.

Two incomplete shows and one incomplete film are by no means enough to qualify someone as a hoarder, since there may be a million reasons why they were left like that. Maybe the subbers left, the license was gone (as for “Paris”), or whatever.
In the case of “A Thousand Kisses” maybe the subbers left because it was so bad. I read a hilarious review on that show:
The%20best%20review

4 Likes

@irmar -
LOL I can contribute a bit on the information about Manny and A Thousand Kisses.
Haha, for Manny I was added a segmenter, I don’t even remember who did it, but they wouldn’t take me off either. I have no talent for segmenting at all. Anyway the drama had its up and downs, but the volunteers did complete the drama (Eng subtitles) back then with no delay, but the channel was on and off. Then back again, for some with license others without. It was uploaded by the volunteers back then and the spirit was completely different.
A Thousand Kisses - there you have me being a German moderator with seemingly zero contribution - but it kind of was a “special job”. The CM could have made me an English moderator or whatever but because I am from Germany she gave me the position German moderator, with the knowledge that I wouldn’t touch a 50 episode drama at that time. But I was there for the viewers, information about the uploading time, for them to rant, to play while waiting for subtitles. For the segmenting team to chat, for the uploader to pass time until the download of the videos was done. For taking care about unacceptable comments. You won’t see any of it, since Viki changed the comment area. But let’s not get moody about the changed times …
Story of that drama took of too … The " Korean board of ethics and what not" was involved in this, the production got a “yellow card”, because of the in-law complications on 2 sisters love story. Today we would probably smile about it, but back then it was “offensive” to some Korean viewers and many complained about lax morals.
There were 2 other German moderators taking on the project towards the end of it airing or after airing, I can’t recall that, so I didn’t block anyone from contributing to this drama in my native language (just to explain the circumstances).
You do not see that subtitles are complete?

1 Like

By this definition, I could also be called a hoarder, having many projects where I didn’t contribute one single letter. However, the situation with my language is a peculiar one.

Croatian, Serbian, Serbo-Croatian, Bosnian and so on are languages so similar in nature, that if I see a person translating in one of them, and I’m a Croatian mod on the same project, I will not start the series. However, I must point out that I first check the quality of the other similar languages, and if it doesn’t meet my standards, I proceed with translating it to my language. I feel it would be almost sinful to use my time translating the same thing somebody else is already translating, while many projects on Viki are not translated to my or similar languages.

2 Likes

No.
thousand_2 thousand_kisses

But that’s not the point. You don’t have to explain yourself for just two shows! We know there are special circumstances, and you will find some, as I already said, on my own profile. This thread is for people who have 10, 20, 30 projects with zero subs, or just 1-2 episodes subbed and the other at zero.
You have nothing to do with this category.

When I started as a subtitler in 2015, every German team had a deadline of 7 days for one episode. So I adopted this method, when I started to moderate a drama. I was editor for a drama where the moderator tried to complete one episode within 24 hours, but although the team did it once or twice, the quality of the subs dropped significant.

I have shortened the deadline to 5 days for on air K-Dramas and 6 days for Chinese dramas, but it’s not easy to be timely, there’s always someone who forgot the deadline or started last minute, just to encounter some problems.

German moderators are almost every time active on their projects, they are part of the subtitling team or help at least with the edits. If someone has zero subs, it’s mostly a co-moderator, who is responsible for the coverpage or a hoarder.

2 Likes

Don’t dare to dream - Lutra wasn’t the original German moderator or part of the German team, I was the moderator and this drama is fully translated, edited and closed. For all I know, she was added one or two years later for other reasons, maybe for the time comments, but I’m not sure. :slightly_smiling_face:

For Nirvana in Fire, Lutra was first second editor and later subtitler. I was co-moderator and editor for NIF.

And I have no access to the movie, too. Error 404.

1 Like

See? Exactly what I mean. As I was added to Strong Woman Do Bong Soon as a Timed Comments Zapper (I just invented the title, but the job is real :slight_smile: )

1 Like

@irmar sorry my bad, it was late and I read on from the quote of cgwm. I mixed that somehow. So I thought you ment the English subtitles wouldn’t be complete, for Manny I was no moderator at all.

I know, I don’t need to explain, but still want to, I got asked to be moderator at
Don’t Dare to Dream but didn’t take the job, the position is still there but another person took this project and did so from the start of the drama.
On the Way to the Airport, - I got English mod position, since I saw some typos while watching, because the person in charge knew me for a long time trusted me, telling me to edit it and lock the videos again.
Detroit Metal City - German mod position, because I like rock and metal and sometimes “strange cinema”. A fellow Vikian friend asked if she could translate because she had time to do a movie’s length project, so I gave her the mod position, and she subbed it by herself.
Nirvana on Fire - I was only trying to sub and edited a bit. It was a try on Chinese drama and didn’t work out.

20-30 mod positions with zero contribution. I can’t even imagine this!

That’s slightly incorrect. I was the German moderator from the very beginning and asked for this position as soon as the channel manager signsofserendipity was appointed from Viki. Many, many months before it was licensed and on air. I found you as a second German moderator some months ago and asked cgwm, why suddendly a second German moderator was added. She told me, she needed someone for the time comments.

Something came across my mind, reading your original post. I had always thought that those 3000 subs were needed for a new volunteer to learn Viki’s guidelines, as well as how teamwork and English-to-Other-Languages transition functions on Viki. A volunteer will not improve much in translating quality in those 3000 subs unless they have a darn good teacher.

However, it now occurred to me that for a beginner, who is so ambitious that they want to become a mod right away, it’s some sort of a wake up call. If they find it difficult to sub 3000 lines in a reasonable amount of time, how are they going to manage subbing a whole series?

This would be optimal if the CM of a series a potential moderator has applied for, is also a CM of a movie. Then the CM could redirect the newbie to a movie instead to prove their worth. If the CM doesn’t have a movie to offer, perhaps it would be beneficial to have good communication, a network of sorts, between various CMs, where one CM could “borrow” another CM’s movie to test their newbie mod.

1 Like

Well if that is considered Hoarding then I’m very glad you do because what would happen if we didn’t have you in our teams? And besides that seggers and Korean - English subbers also get invites to help out on channels. Is it considered hoarding to accept an invite? @angelight313_168
Good Korean - English subbers are limited on Viki, that’s why you see them everywhere.

Maybe I’m considered a hoarder too but in the past I really had a hard time saying no to a friend when I got an invite and I wanted to return the favor.

2 Likes

I do not recall the situation exactly, I only know that the drama was airing in the first year after my father passed away. My mom went in and out of the hospital that time. Seeing cgwm was the CM, I thought it was one of the projects she asked me to join. Sorry, if my bad memory made you upset.

@irmar - That review of A Thousand Kisses is hilarious.

3 Likes

I’m not upset :slight_smile: It’s just natural to wonder and ask the channel manager, if you find a new moderator in your language at a later time, esp. if your drama was fully completed.

I’m curious, how did you find out that those moderators have different profile pages, but are the same person?

1 Like

I never changed my name on Viki but I do notice name changes when someone PM’s me and the name keeps changing. So when I want to add them to a team the system won’t let me. Ohh and when I worked with someone on a project and the suddenly some ‘stranger’ I never saw on Viki before was also on the segging team.

I get it when some want to change names from time to time but people will recognize you anyway eventually if they worked with you before. Once someone wanted to join the team and then when I don’t recognize the name I check their profile. There I saw that person was actually someone I had a pretty bad experience with a few times in the past and I didn’t want history to repeat itself again so I picked someone else for the position (I had more options anyway).

2 Likes

Hahaha, that’s foolish!

2 Likes

Me, too. I never changed my Viki ID, although some people think, I made a typo in my name, but I have special reason and keep it. But sometimes Disqus won’t let me log in and uses my Google ID, which is different, so people may think, we are two different persons, when I’m writing in the Team Discussions. For this reason I usually explain, who I am ^^

1 Like

Oh no that will ruin the YT subs then :rofl:

1 Like

@ [sonmachinima]

right- hahahahahahaahaha you are funny.