Most Famous food around the world

Exactly. Thank you for the perfect and neutral answer. :hugs:

3 Likes

Lol, Wise choice.

2 Likes

Mmm baklava is so good - itā€™s been a long time since I had that.

4 Likes

Apart from Baklava I like a different snack from Turkey called Simit, when I visited Istanbul with friends years ago there were street sellers either having a small glass case on the front or back or both ends of a bicycle. We ate a lot of them I think we made every seller back then happy, LOL and it seemed we were the only tourist buying from them, but they all tasted wonderful.
Well, if you ever happen to visit Norway or another country up there and can get your hands on fresh strawberries (given that you donā€™t have an allergy), buy some. With the long sunny days they have its taste is so delicious, we didnā€™t even need cream.
In Belgium apart from the famous chocolate, we had such small rice cakes, tasted a little like rice pudding with vanilla, yummy.
I never got to Portugal but in Hamburg/Germany there is a quater called ā€œPortugiesenviertelā€ and they had those little Pasteis de Nata, I bought some for home (around 650 km till my place) and for on the road. Those for on the road made it from the shop to the car, were my friends were waiting, after finishing them off, one of my friends went back to the shop and got another batch. Hooked on it.
I never set foot on another continent than Europe, but I got a recipe for a Brazilian dessert, I do not recall the name I think it was avocado giving it a creamy structure and whipped egg white (sweetened?) gently mixed and orange slices on top, I think some juice was mixed with the avocado at the start. It was not so sweet and therefor - mine LOL, no everyone loved it. Oh, and I remember being at the Expo 2000 ā€œin Brazilā€, having a nice portion of coconut ice.
Back in the 90ā€™s, maybe even in the 80ā€™s there was a dessert quite famous other than Tiramisu, mmh, yes Italy here we go Zabaione, not that easy to make but really sweet because of the dessert wine.
Thatā€™s all for today ā€¦
Now I am graving, talking to myself - remember not writing about this topic again shortly before going to sleep, now I am graving some dessert and there is nothing there.

2 Likes

That sounds like what we would call ā€œHaagse blufā€. Though we donā€™t eat it with avocado ā€¦

1 Like

It looks alike - LOL - minus fruits - adding avocado, I think with the fruits it will be a lot sweeter, than the Brazilian version.

2 Likes

Maybe the avocado version is without sugar? It seems strange to add something sweet like that to avocado ā€¦ :thinking:

1 Like

It is definitely sweet, I was scared at first too, I mean, I didnā€™t grow up with avocado on the table. The first one was in the mid 80ā€™s I would say. My mom made a salad with chicken, avocado, clementines, grapes with a self-made mayonnaise, I think these were all the ingredients, I am not sure itā€™s really a long time ago.

But the flavor really nice, because of the fat of avocado, I guess makes it work even for sweet dessert, I know there is a lot of recipes around for an avocado cream with cacao/chocolate.
I will look for the recipe, if I find it I will let you know.

3 Likes

It is really tasty

1 Like

Do you want to know what avocado taste really great with? Well I canā€™t have Mayo and Ranchā€¦ I vomitā€¦nothing to bad but I also hate it so I never eat any of those. Anyway I found out you can make avocado tuna. You replace the mayo with avocado.

2 Likes

Too bad Iā€™m a vegetarian, haha. :wink:

1 Like

some candies that are popular here and sry for the late reply

last one looks like julab jamun but taste entirely different

3 Likes

Looks very tempting and yummy!! :yum:

1 Like

Those look really good

1 Like

Avocados also taste great with cooked black beans some lettuce and corn with vinaigrette or Italian dressing.

Avocados and refried beans are the best combo with sour cream and a bit of yellow cheese.

Avocados takes great with Hummus (the one with red pepper mixture in the middle). I mix equal parts and eat it alone although ( restaurant corn chips are a great mix to eat).

Avocado goes well with rice and beans.

Avocados are perfect with ā€˜ā€˜arroz con gandulesā€™ā€™ (rice with green pigeon peas traditional puertorican dish).

Avocados are great by itself with a bit of salt, olive oil (vinegar is optional).

PS. When the avocado come out ā€˜ā€˜bad,ā€™ā€™ is dark colour, or ā€˜ā€˜hardā€™ā€™ I let them get black and make a paste and put it all over my head and use plastic saran wrap all over to cover all my hair so the avocado oil gives my hair shine and softness.

One more thing, I never heard anyone in my family adding sugar to avocado, and the thought alone twist my stomach into a knot. We DO have here in US an Asian Ice cream parlor that sells avocado ice cream, and even a bacon ice cream, and they add sugar of course but i would never even taste that bc I would get traumatized.

2 Likes

A FOOD CHANEL IM INā€¦

Here some of the favourite dishes of my country:

We like cheese here! I donā€™tā€¦

Thats not a swiss recipe but it may work with any cheese, its a dish thats often eaten during the winter days. If you travel you may get it throughout the year at mountain restaurants but you may have to bring a big wallet, things made at home are the best things anyways and that recipe is legit if you want to try it.

Roesti another popular dish of my country, thats a bland recipe but you can do make many variations of it. I even see on a Korean cooking Chanel a very impressive creative version that made roesti into a pizza! This dish varies in my country to each location you go, some will use bacon or other sausages as dried meat of cow but it goes well with vegetables to as carrot , peas or any of your liking I could see califlour would work fine to if you are a vegetarian. Also DONT forget to add allot of cheese if you like cheese of course!!!

And thats another popular dish hereā€¦IT looks like my country doesnā€™t like vegetables although potato are a vegetable!!!

Thats some of the popular dishes I can remember for now, but else our cuisine is allot inspired by our borders of French, Austrian , German and Italian foods.

4 Likes

Hi, my father spend half of his childhood in Switzerland, as his mom was originally Swiss.

I remember when we were hiking at a vacation there, we would eat

raclette, it is pretty known too, right and yeah cheese again.
For non-vegetarian, there is a famous air dried meat called BĆ¼ndnerfleisch, its name is protected like other regional products in Europe who are unique.

Some I donā€™t know how to write the names in English, ZĆ¼rcher Geschnetzeltes not veggie proof, though. My dad favorite was a polenta dish but it had to be cooked with milk and sugar added he only liked the sweet version. I recall the name Cholera as a dish and my dadā€™s older sister always made Bircher MĆ¼sli for us kids as breakfast.

I remember as a I child I liked to eat the sweet meringue with chocolate flavor. and ā€œEngadiner Nusstorteā€.

Good old memories, thank you for reviving them.

5 Likes

Right these are also very popular, especially raclette is probably even more popular then fondue. At any open air event you will always come across it. Or bratwurst and cervilat.

You know of allot of dishes I donā€™t even know, thats interessting.

Bircher muesli is really nice, also there you can do in which ever variation that suits your tastes. Also thats a vegan proof dish that you could do with alternatives instead of milk.

Here I couldnā€™t find a recipe in English for the Zurich geschnetzeletes but its quite simple with that tutorial I guess, also it fits perfect to roesti:

Here the Engadiner nut pastry, I nearly forgot about that one its a really nice candy.

It looks like your parents where living at the eastern part of Switzerland up at the mountains, I thought because of the dishes you named. Its a very beautiful region there.

3 Likes

No, not at all. I canā€™t recall the village she was from but it is not that far from Basel something about 30-50 minutes drive. My dadā€™s roots are Swiss but actually even my grandmother (she was Swiss, my dad had always the German nationality, because of my grandfather being German) being Swiss, she was born in Pomerania now Poland, back then a lot of Swiss people were living and working there. I canā€™t tell what influence Pomerania had on Swiss eating habits LOL
Unfortunately my grandmother died when I was 12, so it never came up as a topic, since she lived further away, we were always happy to visit and meet and live rather in the present than in the past.
One of her sisterā€™s happened to move to the Tessin/Ascona, we visited her one time in the late 70ā€™s, she died a year after my granny. She was nothing like my granny in character, but she was working in a hotel, and we could use the pool at night, that was pretty refreshing in that hot summer. She would always drink her wine from a boccalino, and boy she could hold her liquor.

2 Likes

Swiss is interesting in this department, you will come across many mentalities and also they vary as the dialect to each region you travel. I like the German mentality they are always straight forward. I used to live in Germany aswel at first it was a bit strange since we swiss people tend to hide usually our thoughts and keep up friendly face. Its great to have a multi cultural family, it allows for a wider perspective.

During the years our cuisine here has been largely influenced also by slavic foods, I like that it brings some variety into the kitchen. I personally prefer a healthy diet and im happy to eat rice in all variations to im vegetarian, I to dont eat milk products except for coffee but honestly coffee soya late tastes not really great.

Ascona is so pretty, I was considering to move into Ticino since I prefer the souther mentality, is more open and warm in contact. I like the description of your grand aunt. Wine is probably also a speciality here that also varies throughout each region. Its funny that a small country can offer so much diversity even in subtle products or recipe as cuisine or bakery.

1 Like