No, the Timed Comments are not a live chat or a place to spam!

Flat out removing the system itself because of the behaviour of some of the people that abuse it isn’t really an answer. If the TC is an open system and only has a delete after the fact type moderation then sure it will organically morph into a cesspool of bad behaviour.
You’re punishing those that do play by the rules for the sake of cleansing out the ones that don’t.
If the TC had a clear set of guidelines of what is/isn’t acceptable comments, a system of warnings if breached and ultimately barring from using that system, eventually you weed out the undesirables for the one who use TC as it was intended.
After all if you got rid of TC what would be next? They’ll all go over to Review and (not that it isn’t already happening) lower the score of a decent drama because of the same undisciplined behaviour, 1 star sub whining, irrelevant reviews, I luv/hate actor x, etc then perhaps we should just do away with the review system too when that gets out of hand.
There are chat software that you can set a list of barred words so that it prevent posting. Maybe have explicit/swear words, k-pop band names and language + “subtitle” etc
As for comment fights, since translators/subtitlers and segmenters are all volunteers maybe have a new volunteering category “garbage collectors” who will delete comments according to the guidelines. They just need to be impartial and maybe also know some Spanish/Potrugese as a lot of TC are in those languages too. (or maybe just know what "I what/where is the subs for [language x] in that language)

5 Likes

It’s not like what makes viki unique isn’t 1. the volunteers-powered subbing (with subs added on the video one by one and not uploaded all at once) and 2. the timed comments. Everything else can be found on other websites, legal or not, but not those two things. I just can’t understand why viki hasn’t realized that they need to explain how those two unique features work.

When you can boast a unique feature, you should be careful to explain its use if you don’t want to risk turning that asset into a shortcoming.

7 Likes

well said, thank you Em! :clap::heart:

2 Likes

Only really bad timed comment experience I had was someone posted a spoiler 5 minutes into it - I mean come on! I did not know that can be moderated though , I wonder if that can be deleted it was just awful that people are like that.

I use it from time to time and I it feels like I’m watching it with fans (except those who post spoilers on comments).

If anyone who has the power to delete it - it’s from the series “Strong Woman Do Bong Soon”

2 Likes

I have known native speakers of Korean who love to watch drama on viki with the TC on because they are so funny.

2 Likes

i’m glad you haven’t yet seen ones that completely insult the actors’ bodies or ones that make a romantic scene completely disgusting because of the R-rated comments :flushed: hope you never see them its so awkward and yucky
PS: If you really want some TCs taken down you can mention the time stamp and message the CM

2 Likes

I think that channel has a special TC Moderator, irmar.
If you remember which episode and timestamp it is from, you can let her know so that her work becomes a bit more easier.

2 Likes

I guess either in W or in Hotel Del Luna, I even once saw a WhatsApp link to some wierd chat group in TCs :persevere:

You use to be able to turn on all comments and could report a comment from there, I don’t see anyway to report them anymore.

Something I find annoying in comments are spoiler. I couldn’t tell you how many comments I’ve made just to cover one.

1 Like

W is my channel, you can PM me if you see any unacceptable TC. Unfortunately I hardly get PM’s regarding TC. It can happen that comments like these are posted after I moderated the TC and honestly I don’t have time to keep checking all eps regularly. So if nobody tells me I assume things are still fine. When PMing do not forget the timestamp, what the comment is about and the username if you can. That way I can find it easier in the huge list of TC. And if a comment is really out of line you can also report the person by flagging them after you click on their username

1 Like

I saw that with Nirvana in Fire too, but luckily someone posted over all those TC’s with: “covering a spoiler,” so there are viewers who self-moderate the TC’s as well. It’s not ideal, but I’m happy when they cover up spoilers.

I watched an older movie on viki and the ‘is this live’ TC’s have taken over as well :no_mouth::expressionless:

2 Likes

That too , those people must be perfectly beautiful to say those things (sarcasm).
I did make a comment on a character’s hair though because it was such a bad wig on her and it looked hella fake :sweat_smile:, they should fire the stylist.

@twinkling - thank you. I will look up the time stamp and episode.

@feyfayer cover spoilers like this ? So that syntax can be used in the timed comments?

No, they just post at the same timestamp as the person who posted the spoiler, so only theirs appears and they wrote: “I’m covering a spoiler” and they did this throughout the series.

1 Like

that’s fine, its just an accessory…I’m talking about body-shaming ones, those are downright disgusting and disrespectful

1 Like

I used to be TC moderator. I went through every episode about 3 times, because they kept coming. It was a terribly time-consuming job. Then, some weeks after it finished airing, I stopped visiting. After all, I have to do the same job on the projects I’m currently working on. And after a year, I asked to be deleted from the team, because it showed on my profile that I was an English moderator with zero subtitles, and it made me look bad to a visitor seeing it.
Therefore, you have to ask the “real” English mods or the Channel Manager. With episode and time stamp. They don’t have the time to go through every single episode to find one comment, and this show is so well-loved that it has many.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear about your experience. We appreciate all of you :clinking_glasses:. Viewers just need to turn off the timed comments if they are watching it the first time. I still enjoyed the drama even with that spoiler though.

1 Like

@irmar, so what do you think about @ninjas_with_onions’s idea of having a volunteer become a dedicated “garbage collector” moderator?

It is not essential that it’s only one person on every drama. It may be overwhelming for some. Different people may do more than one pass. When I was CM, I actively encouraged Spanish and Portuguese moderators to have a look at their own language. I could have done it myself, as I understand those languages - Portuguese much much less, but still I’ve learned by heart the subtitle whining sentences. But I thought that it was their responsibility.

3 Likes

I think now that Viki has so many more dramas and viewers, may be the time has come where a “garbage collector” moderator is needed, not for each drama but perhaps on a “as needed” basis.

2 Likes

It IS needed on each drama. And several times for each episode. One or two before release of the English (depending on how quickly the English finishes and how popular the drama is), to remove sub-whining subs, another one after the English is ready, because there will still be other language sub-whiners plus of course all the remaining categories: swearwords, k-pop fandom, geo-location and time TC, inappropriate comments about the actors’ appearance, X-rated comments, repetitions (people posting the same comment about 10 times in a row), spoilers etc.
Like vaccines, it should ideally be repeated once a year thereafter.

Frankly, I feel very uneasy replying on this topic, as EVERYTHING I and all of you have said here has been repeatedly said in at least two other threads already.

https://discussions.viki.com/t/filter-blacklist-comments-commenters-while-watching/12879

#cleaningduplicatetopics

2 Likes